SMARTBro: Making it faster?

karlo

@ GroundZero

we are pleased to have you here at TMN.

before anything else. i would like to clarify something, when you say that you have 13 units, does this mean you have 13 computer units?

because, basically, if you're on a router you will really have a hard time accessing your canopy page because of TCP/IP properties settings.

kindly post also all programs that are installed on those units.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@ GroundZero

we are pleased to have you here at TMN.

before anything else. i would like to clarify something, when you say that you have 13 units, does this mean you have 13 computer units?

because, basically, if you're on a router you will really have a hard time accessing your canopy page because of TCP/IP properties settings.

kindly post also all programs that are installed on those units.

yes 13 computer units..and i use router..each pc has a cfosspeed.. a software used for controlling bandwidth and increase speed of my connection..

so how can i access my canopy?can you give me some step by step how to do that?

just to clear things up:

just got a pm from a friend on my messenger regarding the issue! the SC here in TMN and the SC in the other site are two different people my hubby is the one and the moderator on the other site and i'm the one on this account.. however there was someone who was asking a step by step instruction on the other site on how to tweak or speed up smartbro as far as i know my hubby wasnt a mod back then only helping his fellow members, thus i have made a copy of CB's revised guide on our pc via notepad! I guess he stumbled on it and posted it there never the less i think it was for helping others and not taking the credit for himself maybe other people just misunderstood what karlo posted:

I applied SIRAComputer's speed tweak. Still confused, on the page where you can enter the download and upload speed, do I have to enter the results given to me by testmy.net? OR I should enter the kind of speed I wanted it to be, for example, 512Kbps or 1024 Kbps.

i already fixed the issue on the other site just view the pix:

what the? she posted the 20 steps on that site to her credit? wow!

frankly i got offended by that reply but i guess it was on my hubby's fault! but then again i wanna say sorry to CB for my hubby's part!

i'm sure she didn't mean it that way, she knows that those are coolbuster's...credit where credit is due...i guess they work great for some people...these guys will help you find the settings that work for you...

i wanna say thanks to momma t for understanding that it wasnt posted to "plagiarized coolbuster" as frostbound have said!

forum rule says "respect other members". posting the same tweak guide to another website, word per word for that matter, and without the permission of the original author, in other words stealing of one's idea or work, translates disrespect.

i'm telling you this to prevent the situation from recurring.

i'm sure SC can explain. but i assure you, SC is a she. i have her yahoo and friendster accounts. hehee.

thanks to CB for understanding and it would have been an act of plagiarizing coolbuster it wouldve been a new thread and posted the 20 steps there! all my public accounts like ym, msn, friendster, usernames etc are the same as my hubby...

hmm,i see sc is a mod there.

Yeah.. so you checked it out too...

How does one became a mod?! Is it because of the number of post? or a special privilege given to them by the site owner?

well in my opinion its the admin's or the site owners judgment why they made my hubby a mod there... but as i reviewed the other site there were a lot of nice and helpful contributions made by my hubby... dont misunderstand me that i'm taking his side.

sorry again guys for the trouble...

@extreme fusion

do you have ym id..so that i can ask about this tweaks..

tnx!!

hi :wave: welcome GroundZero :welcome: to the testmy forum...enjoy your stay...stay long and come back often...

if you would please... post all your questions here in the forum so that ll may benefit from the solutions

mmm.. i don't think SC's a girl. It say on her location (under avatar)  from that site: Location: sa pagitan ng hita ng babae (in between a woman's ... ummm ... lower limbs?). Unless she's a... :o...  :grin2:

good eye becman...u should be an ace master detective...cuz u were right (on the other forum) SC isn't a girl...it's our sweetie's, sweetie...her hubby :)

UPDATE:

I haven't followed SIRAComputer's or coolbuster's tweaks, the recent one, well once I applied them but nothing happened.

But there's this instruction to measure and measure your connection etc... probably if you follow those additional instructions, your speed could possibly increase.

------------------------------

Around 7-8 pm last night (January 12, 2008), something happened into my connection. I remembered a few days ago, while accessing the net, I received a Page Loading Error, tried disabling my proxies and changing my DNS servers, still nothing happened.

I called up SMARTBro, and they are delighted to tell me that there's a problem with the base station near me and they are very sorry for the inconvinience. The guy also told me that they are actually doing their best in order to restore the service as soon as possible.

4-8 hours. Fully restored. Also, I think with a different IP Address OR a different DNS (SMARTBro).

Now let's go back to what happened yesterday (January 12, 2008 between 7-8pm while it's raining cats and dogs).

Of course, the usual, accessing the net etc... downloading, checking Friendster(a must!) etc...

Suddenly, unexpectedly, whatsoever, I receive that same message again that the website i'm visiting was not found. It's impossible to receive that message when I am using OpenDNS's Servers! Checked the status of their servers, 100% working!

I even tried switching back to SMARTBro's DNS, still, no luck.

Wow, this seems interesting. Hmmm.. i'm getting a little familiar with SMARTBro's Customer service. SMARTBroken or SMARTBroker's, wanna welcome me to the club?! Priviledges?

I gave them my IP Address and My Physical Address and asked me to remove the Canopy from the electricity and asked me if the IP of my connection is 192.xxx actually after many days of researching, if you're IP is not 192.xxx something like 169.xx.xx it means that your connection is not working.

TIP: Always remember that when you've got a new ISP, research how to tweak it, and research what will be the problem you'll experience after you decided to use it's service(s).

Anyway, let's go back to the topic.

The SMARTBro Technical Staff told me that there's been a problem with my connection. Probably on my antenna, probably it was moved etc...

He also gave a wonderful example. If he's going to rate my antenna 1 out of 10, it's 4. Why not try "you are not receiving a good reception" or "something had moved your antenna, therefore you are not getting a good reception, that's why you have frequent disconnections or slow and sluggish speeds".

So, after that one, I was convinced. At least they asked me for my contact number. They or he told me that someone will call me or send me a message regarding the scheduling of the fixing of my antenna. Since I read all of the negative reviews of SMARTBro from different sites, I then plan something.

Because of being too much excited, I haven't slept since yesterday. Today (January 13, 2007-7 AM).

THE PLAN:

Rotate the antenna. Climb onto the roof. Is the word "climb", right?

Of course I can't go there when the roof is soaking wet. And also when is dark! So I wasted my time watching Music and Lyrics that I downloaded the 1st week that SMARTBro was installed, having a very stable connection.

As of right now, just finished checking the roof. Just realized I have this fear of being onto the roof, being paranoid because of the birds around me etc..

It's windy don't know why. My antenna is/was/were moving. Shaking. Not that shakie/shaky but at least I know it's moving. I saw it, just accessed the Canopy too last night! I'll tell you all about it later.

So, where were we? Ah, the windy thing. Since it was moving, just wondering. How can I rotate it, the strings or I don't know what's the English of Alambres, those are the things whose holding my antenna. And guess what, my antenna is just something like stick or they used some glue, just to make my antenna stand. Weird.

I can see the neighbor's or another person's SMARTBro antenna. Just wondering again, ah, why is my antenna and his or her's antenna is facing another direction?

Hmm... let me call the Techncial Department of SMARTBro again later.

THE Canopy STORY:

Since I can't wait 'till the guys from SMARTBro arrive, I decided to do some more research on accessing the Canopy settings.

Came up with a familiar site, a site that I know I already visited, but, didn't read the instructions carefully. I followed everything. I then can access my Canopy! Didn't have to climb onto the roof because my antenna was 15ft! Actually they charged me for additional 5ft, for 250 pesos.

Hmm.. will they add another pole again? I mean why not stick the tall pole unto someone's house (wall taller than my house), since houses here are more of a literal interpretation of "kapit-bahay". You know what I mean, right?!

After reading and following the instructions, yes, the 161 or 169 IP Address, the traditional way to access the Canopy settings, well it's blocked. Mine was the 10 series.

UNLOCKING (from gpcamp):

1. Go to the Network Connection(s) or to the list of Network Connection(s). In Control Panel or START > Connect to > Show all ...

2. Right click the LAN Device where your Canopy is connected and select Properties.

3. Scroll up to the bottom and double-click or single-click TCP/IP. For single-click: then press Properties.

4. Select "Use the following IP Address".

Enter the following:

IP Address: 10.1.1.2

Subnet Mask: 255.0.0.0

5. Click OK, then OK again. As you can see, you are connected. You are connected to your Canopy device, not the internet. Connected with Admin rights.

6. Run Command Prompt. To run it, press the Window key on your keyboard and letter R at the same time or Start > Run > Type: cmd.exe then press Enter.

7. Type: arp.exe -a then Press enter. If you received an error message, type the following:

cd

cd %windir%system32

arp.exe -a

8. Look for the IP Address that starts with the number 10, then copy it onto your browser, and press Enter or Go!

9. Behold, your Canopy page. To make things alot ah, cute, hahaha, login, using the user name root and password, empty or null. Meaning, nothing.

10. Always remember after doing something or changing a setting, reboot, then delete or clear the log or event log(s) at the Canopy page, then reboot again, the Canopy.

SETTINGS TO BE CHANGED:

Note: There are many different kinds of Canopy versions. Just find the nearest.

QoS (Quality of Service). Uplink and Downlink, both must be equal to 1000Kbps.

Recommended: DownLink: 500-700 (1000 minus 500 or 700).

Uplink, the remaining.

AP Eval, press Rescan AP a couple of times.

Find the one with the highest RSSI. If possible, along with the lowest Jitter. If not, just find the highest RSSI. Just make sure the Jitter is not greater than 11.

TIPS (according to cor):

AP (Access Point) = signal reception.

Jitter = interference. If at least or higher than 11, please reposition your antenna or find another AP. The lower the better.

MultipointAvail, if equals to zero(0), your base station is experiencing a technical difficulty, or no signal at all. If one(1), base station is up and running.

SectorUserCount = the number of users using or relying to the same AP. The lesser the faster.

Continue pressing Rescan APIP until you have decided which base station you wanted to connect to. Copy or memorize or copy the Color Code value because you'll be using it later.

TWEAKING:

At your Canopy page. find the Color Code section, mine from Configuration > Radio. Then enter the Color Code value you memorized or copied earlier.

About the Transmitter Output Power, I have no idea about it. But mine is set to the maximun, 23dBm.

Then reboot.

You'll see your Local Area Connection to be unplugged, plugged, unplugged and then plugged again.

Click the link to continue or to go back unto your Canopy page/configuration settings.

Then find the Logs, Event Log to be exact and press Clear Event Log, probably to avoid the Technical Team to see what you've done with your settings.

TO ACCESS THE NET:

Just set your IP Address to Automatic, inluding your DNS Servers or enter OpenDNS's servers: 208.67.222.222 and 208.67.220.220.

Press OK, and OK again. Behold, your renewed or rejuvenated connection!

MY OWN TWEAKS:

Just experienced an increase of speed, but I reverted back to the defaults because I am fully convinced that I need to move my antenna. Because the Canopy software can't tweak anything now. The problem is the hardware although sicne I only got a speed of ranging 58Kbps up to 128Kbps of speed before the tweak, now 256Kbps-305Kbps, which is very unstable, always flunctuating, thus, making my speed to 50Kbps-128Kbps.

Again, on your Canopy page, find Spectrum Analyzer. Press Enable button a few times until you see sone green lines. By the way you'll see the legend on the top right of the Canopy page.

You'll see different frequencies with different signal strength. Just reload the page, and you'll see them fluctuate.

Check out the one with the highest signal, after a few seconds, it's gone, and the highest signal is transfered unto another frequency. Meaning, unstable and fluctuating SMARTBro connection.

Now find a line or a green thing, which is stable. Does not often change.

Then remember it's frequency.

Next go to Alignment and enable RSSI Only Mode. Change the Radio Carrier Frequency to the frequency you remembered earlier. Press Enable a couple of times, then you'll see the real-time results on the bottom of the Canopy page.

Reboot your Canopy, find a page with a Reboot button on it and press it.

FOR ASSURANCE:

Open your Canopy page again after rebooting and select AP Evaluation. Rescan AP, then again, find the highest RSII along with the lowest Jitter.

Copy the Color Code, change your Color Code, then monitor your connection. If it does not improve your connection, just disable the RSSI Only Mode, Radio Carrier Frequency to NONE.

Reboot your Canopy and then Rescan AP, again, copy the Color Code and change your current Color Code, just like the earlier steps.

Again reboot your Canopy.

Time finished writing this post: 7:28 pm Jan. 13, 2008 and 12:45 pm Jan. 14, 2008

All rights reserved.

Copyright by karlo--and the other users and references.

P.S > Clear the Logs of your Canopy!

smartbroroofdvz8.th.png

The antenna I was telling you about, pointed to another direction.

smartbroroofchk2.th.png

My Antenna.

smartbroroofbit0.th.png

My Antenna.

smartbroroofanr3.th.png

My Antenna.

to mods: i would like to edit my first post in this thread, probably change the date 2007 to 2008. thanks. it would be great if I can edit it. thanks., by the way thanks for welcoming me.

My testmy.net tests

share2-KZG9TFIXY&dual=yes&q2=5UT83B0WN

share2-JNH5LD7CS

share2-ZGLFRSK7N

share2-6QC25K1F9

share2-P6S1X7OQB

share2-4WDAXBF35

share2-Z0VAFCX3L

share2-FPH8X49U1

share2-KQRPMBWHJ

share2-15QN9FM6T

The test above shows that adjusting your Canopy really have results! Look at my upload speed! Sacrificed my download speed! Works if you're going to make your computer a file server!

share2-Z6STKR1BL

share2-KLFZGCJ2A

My Latest Test Results, DOWNLOAD speed. DownLink: 900 UpLink: 100

share2-N463KB5T8&dual=yes&q2=O4LV8MB0K

My Latest Test Results, DOWNLOAD speed. DownLink: 900 UpLink: 100 ... as of right now :(

next plan: change the transmitting output power to -5, apply some registry tweaks, including the usage of cablenut...

The big question: upon monitoring my RSSI, it's only 260-390, how can I tell the technician that I only got those readings? I mean, it wouldn't be nice for them to know that I can access my Canopy page, right?

currently using cfosspeed, monitoring it's results...

hey karlo, welcome to tmn. nice cute story you got there!

your rssi is low because, as what you posted, your antenna is pointing to another direction. good rssi is 700. got mine at 860+ to 1000+. yours is way too low.

try to look for a smart cellsite/tower, that is where they mounted your smartbro access point (AP). then beam your canopy antenna there. access your canopy page and look for that color where you have the highest RSSI and Power Level and lowest Jitter value. if there is another color code which has almost the same values but has less UserCount then go for that color code.

cfosspeed might have affected your speed. smartbro, i believe, is already shaping internet traffic of its subscribers. as most can see in utorrent, that downloads/uploads have been limited, that's why a yellow triangular or a red round tick shows.

btw, the english name for alambre is "tie-wire".  :smiley:

Guest ExtremeFusion

@karlo

In one of your test result its host name is rr.com???

and your speed exceeds the maximum allowable aggregate in your canopy, if it is locked to 1 Mb.

How is that?

if you use tmn test mirror to get your result.. it may be a little or way too off.

Since some of them are broken down, according to Momma t.

@karlo

In one of your test result its host name is rr.com???

and your speed exceeds the maximum allowable aggregate in your canopy, if it is locked to 1 Mb.

How is that?

if you use tmn test mirror to get your result.. it may be a little or way too off.

Since some of them are broken down, according to Momma t.

kindly delete that wrong image, and this post: http://www.testmy.net/t-22010.msg256318#msg256318

About the Transmitter Output Power, I have no idea about it. But mine is set to the maximun, 23dBm.

Hey, I can't find that thing in my canopy settings. Any clue where can I find it?  :buck2:

Btw, does Enabling frequencies the same with changing color codes? Because I noticed, APs here shows its frequencies... and when I chose a frequency that isn't fluctuating, it displays on my status as AIMING, not the normal REGISTERED. 

Anyway, thanks for sharing tips about frequencies. Now I can see whether my connection is fluctuating or not. :D

hey karlo,

very nice flash presentation.

your download speed using IDM, however, is very slow. there must be something wrong with your connection or your IDM setting.

take a look at my IDM speed:

I know that I am using the right settings on my IDM software. Options > Connections > (tried all of the DSL speeds and LAN speed) configurations, still, the same.

Slow downloading speed! Wow, SMARTBro loves me, tom. their technical team is going to arrive. How can I tell them that I want more than 800 RSSI?

Hey, I can't find that thing in my canopy settings. Any clue where can I find it?  :buck2:

Btw, does Enabling frequencies the same with changing color codes? Because I noticed, APs here shows its frequencies... and when I chose a frequency that isn't fluctuating, it displays on my status as AIMING, not the normal REGISTERED. 

Anyway, thanks for sharing tips about frequencies. Now I can see whether my connection is fluctuating or not. :D

I think at the IP or Radio tab. Nope. It only makes your connection more stable than before.