Is this new? Scary!

Guest ExtremeFusion

No it isn't new , it has been around a long time , Staphylococcus aureus,

but it has mutated/adapted and has developed resistance to methicillin,

and now is known as methicillin resistant Staphylococcus aureus,aka MRSA, we all probably have Staphylococcus aureus on us , not so harmfull in health adults , but serious in babies,elderly and sick folk

if it passes through a open wound , it was easy to treat using  methicillin in the past , but a different story now ,

the best guard against it good hygiene standards ,

That sucks !!!  It seems like everything is becoming more immune to the drugs we use to cure it. 

yes that is the way of nature , even bugs adapt given time , they want to live just like

humans who have adapted over the years, 

allso the problem of world travel doesn't help , you may eradicate a disease in you part of the world only to have it reoccur later , brought in by migrating birds or human travelers ,

Guest ExtremeFusion

How could it possibly mutated?

Could it be that a person sick with SA, treats him/herself with a methicillin but in any chance didn't get the whole infection treated.. then this remaining SA somehow found it's way how to defend itself from methicillin..

( :grin: What a theory?!)

Seriously, how could it evolved to MRSA...

How could it possibly mutated?

Could it be that a person sick with SA, treats him/herself with a methicillin but in any chance didn't get the whole infection treated.. then this remaining SA somehow found it's way how to defend itself from methicillin..

( :grin: What a theory?!)

Seriously, how could it evolved to MRSA...

you got it in one

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antibiotic_resistance

If you take antibiotics for a shorter time then a doctor recommends you risk only killing the weakest part of a virus/bacteria and having the strong ones multiply, and yes, those that remain could start to resist that antibiotic.

Staphylococcus aureus, multipies by cell division , and a single cell under ideal conditions can pass the 1 million mark in just over 3 hours ,there are other factors in methicillin resistants , from drinking water and food we eat , and the past over prescribing of  methicillin

which is part of the  penicillin family , it's a long complex story ,

but nature always fights back , LOL we can't even beat the common cold ,

the  penicillin family is totally ineffective against that as it is a virus ,

but is often prescribed to guard against a secondary bacterial infection

that may develop through a weakend immune system ,

lol this may not be accurate as it is from memory  from way back as an engineer in medical research ,

MRSA is scary, a friend of mine who was a healthy emergency room nurse contracted it

and it killed her. It is now being found in the schools here :cry2:

Doctors need to quit giving antibiotics for viruses and people need to take the whole course of anitbotics even if they feel better. The best way to protect yourself is to wash your hands

very often.

Sorry to hear that ackthecat , yes it's reaching epidemic proportions ,

over here in the UK, mostly down to poor hygiene standards ,and cost cutting ,

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/article19382.ece.

In 2004, ministers pledged to halve MRSA cases by 2008. Health Secretary Patricia Hewitt insists those targets will be met ? despite a leaked memo last month warning the war was already lost.

"DEATHS linked to hospital superbugs have soared to almost 5,500 a year, alarming new figures revealed yesterday."

The figures were published as the National Audit Office attacked the NHS for failing to provide a full picture of the impact of hospital infections.

Between April 2003 and March 2004 MRSA blood infections increased by 3.6% from 7,384 to 7,647.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/3891459.stm

MRSA is in every country and has a counterpart that is just as dangerous VRE. It has been around for a good long time and is only getting press as of late. It is a scary situation that will only get worse. We have been fighting MRSA in the medical field for decades now and it gets worse every year. Want to know why?

Show me people not taking prescriptions as prescribed. DING!! There are other factors but people stopping Antibiotic therapy early is a big factor.

thats it right there!

Unfortunately its that simple. I am a nurse as well and this is a widespread problem. The other half of the blame lies in nosocomial infections and that can be avoided by simple hand washing. For anyone that cares it works like this.

Your in a dark ally and a man comes up and stabs you nearly to death then he stops and runs away. The next month the same thing happens.. month after month this happens.. Well sooner or later you get smart and bring a bigger knife or even a gun. Needless to say the small man with the knife does not scare you and stands no chance of hurting you.. you have learned all of his tricks and know how to combat them.

Now, in the story above, replace yourself with "the bug" or the bacteria that is making you sick. Replace the man in the ally with a knife with antibiotic therapy. He never finished killing you off and gave you a chance to come back stronger and smarter. That is exactly what we are doing.

Thanks for the input Shug , your analogy was great , and I think you know my respect for all in the medical world , and I have strong views of the respect that at times seems laking for cleaners through to the top in that field , as an engineer (robotics ) I got head hunted into that field ,

( well it made a change from working out how to pack corn flakes faster etc) and the most interesting job I ever had , the downside was the pay was less , but even then I got paid more than a graduate Microbiologist ,

at times I think the world is  :idiot2:,

another rant of mine , Spitting , we were almost free of T.B. in the UK,

now due to falling standards it's back in fashion  and so is T.B.

remember , your bad hygiene habits , is someone else's fatal illness ,