Zeitgeist Movie...Interesting movie - educate ourselves ?

disturbed

As far as I understood this documentary says nothing about government trying to kill religion...I've watched it 2 times and I don't see that message

Of course some of you, like tommie, might not like this film because it goes against many things we all believe in, but I personally like the facts all laid out, makes for a good argument - even if they are somewhat crazy as long as there is proof...

It might be hard to actually accept certain things this film shows but why the heck not? ....denial perhaps?

I liked the first part, but that's probably mainly because it agrees with my ideas and values. Going into the second and third parts, I started hooking off because that was really conspiracy theory work and the subjectivity of the first part was outright gone. It really made me think of this:

http://xkcd.com/258/

Now, that doesn't mean that I support the policies that were attacked, only that I do not believe all of these conspiracies. That doesn't mean that they are not true, but I think that the movie doesn't prove them to be true, thus further, impartial investigation would be required to have me convinced. Cognitive dissonance goes both ways.

Yeah, I am honestly surprised this thread did not receive more replies .... wierd...

The first part of the video really hurts it. So many people have to watch it and judge that it's total bullshit just based on the first part, however, parts II and III are much better.

Part III is amazing. Especially the Bill Hicks quote at the end.

The first part of the video really hurts it. So many people have to watch it and judge that it's total bullS#!t just based on the first part, however, parts II and III are much better.

Part III is amazing. Especially the Bill Hicks quote at the end.

Funny how I thought pretty much the opposite  :smiley:

In unrelated thoughts, Bird Fan, I listened to your quoted song this morning, and the intro is indeed the best part. Still, 10 000 days remains the best album imho

edit: I just read that the "RrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrEAL fucking high on drugs" quote is also from Bill Hicks

I liked the first part, but that's probably mainly because it agrees with my ideas and values. Going into the second and third parts, I started hooking off because that was really conspiracy theory work and the subjectivity of the first part was outright gone. It really made me think of this:

http://xkcd.com/258/

Now, that doesn't mean that I support the policies that were attacked, only that I do not believe all of these conspiracies. That doesn't mean that they are not true, but I think that the movie doesn't prove them to be true, thus further, impartial investigation would be required to have me convinced. Cognitive dissonance goes both ways.

Some conspiracy theory are quite stupid on the first place. e.g. the moon landing. But September 11 si another story. I was in Japan when that happened and since seeing only the video on television during that day, made me think a few questions. Since I don't speak japanese, everything I saw on tv was just an assumption. One thing that raised a question on my mind was the fall of twin towers that happened so fast that only a demolition can do that. That was just my initial question and after digging on to some reports, I concluded somehow that this is not just part of terrorist attack, that somehow, there's an inside "inside job".

Also take note about this BBC report about the WTC 7,

and the BBC's response to that, http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/theeditors/2007/02/part_of_the_conspiracy.html

Just judge it for yourself.

I have to say that I liked the part about religion and the part about how financial system is set up the most ..... i really enjoyed it.....i have to say that I am not a very religious person and this is probably the first time that I've seen some 'strong facts' about why things are the way they are....

Funny how I thought pretty much the opposite  :smiley:

In unrelated thoughts, Bird Fan, I listened to your quoted song this morning, and the intro is indeed the best part. Still, 10 000 days remains the best album imho

edit: I just read that the "RrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrEAL fucking high on drugs" quote is also from Bill Hicks

Third Eye is a great song and Bill Hicks was a great comedian.

The live version on the Salival cd is almost better.

However, 10,000 Days is the best? It's different. I like Lateralus a lot more, but each album is different so it's all about taste.

Sorry for the off topic discussion... lol

i started it and then was watching a movie wit my other half...ill finish it sometime...but as for what ive seen...i like it...good facts...straight to the point...Nice.... :o

thanks

It does get some things wrong, some things big some small. Has good information at times.

Here are some.

First off, the video is full of misinformation about Horus. He was baptized? Oh really! I would love to see a source for that!

Most of the supposed parallels are completely untrue!

Actually, Muslim apologists have been trying to do this for centuries--to say that Christianity is really just another form of paganism. But that's a lie.

Most of the information in this video seems to come from Acharya S's book, The Christ Conspiracy (1999), which is a sensationalist book which has zero academic credibility. If you want to learn about Horus you can read the ancient myths about him--

Egyptian Mythology: Horus

Encyclopedia Mythica: Horus

The Eye Of Horus

Tektonics: Horus, Isis, Osiris

Let's go over just some of the data:

1. Horus was not born of a Virgin--that's a lie.

2. Horus was not baptized. That's a complete fabrication. "Anup the Baptizer"?--show me where you find that! That's a lie.

3. Horus never walked on water. He performed miracles, but raising the dead and walking on water were not among them. Nor did he cast out demons.

4. Horus had disciples--but you can't show me a single reference to his having twelve. That's a lie.

5. Horus never taught in the temple at age 12. That's a lie. Read the accounts above--it's not there.

6. Where was ever said that was Horus crucified? That's a lie! He died in a later version of the story and was brought back to life--but Jesus' "resurrection" was more than a mere coming back to life. His body was transformed and changed. Anyways, it was only later added to the Horus legend.

Secondly, another person explained that the sources for the movie have been posted on-line. Follow the link and--what a shocker!--the primary source for the movie's claims about Jesus and Christianity is said to be Acharya S's book, The Christ Conspiracy (1999). Again, this book is NOT an academic work and has ZERO credibility. According to this very site, one of S's sources is said to be John Allegro--a man whose work has frequently been condemned by scholars.

For example, when John Allegro attempted to publish a translation of the Dead Sea Scrolls, fourteen Oxford scholars wrote to the publisher and demanded it be pulled--it was an absolutely inaccurate translation! The book was pulled and the publisher even apologized! A critique was written by John Strugnell, which meticulously revealed in a line-by-line treatment the errors and which was longer than Allegro's book itself! [see "Notes en marge du volume V des 'Discoveries in the Judaean Desert of Jordon'" in Revue de Qumran 7 (1963): 163-76. For more on the debacle see, James VanderKam and Peter Flint, The Meaning of the Dead See Scrolls (San Francisco: HaperCollins, 2002), 381-403.]

Like I said, some good info, some absolute fabricated bullshit. Not a video to change your life over IMHO. There are other problems with the video, if you are interested I will dig more.  There are many other things about 911 that the video misses or gets wrong but I wont even enter that tangled web. Who knows whats true when it comes to 911 anymore.

Thanks for the info Shug

I checked out Acharya's website and indeed it seems to be pretty much sensationalist with a lack of data supporting anything. Still, there are two things that I think give a certain amount of credibilty to the author. First, she has studied in many of the fields that she writes about in her book, and second, things just seem to make sense. Of course, the second reason is void if the facts are just false, and you seem to have proved that some are false, but that does not refute all of the connections. Still, it's nice to get a second opinion like that.

I do believe that the US government has something to do with the event. Based on the facts and information, there are many questions unanswered. Won't you wonder why the US government is not answering those questions? Why are there too much secrecy behind the 911 incident?

This is too much of a coincidence, isn't it? There is a great analogy on this "conspiracy theory" thing. Look for the 911 on plane site by the Power Hour. Try watching the video. It's worth watching it.

Thanks for the info Shug

I checked out Acharya's website and indeed it seems to be pretty much sensationalist with a lack of data supporting anything. Still, there are two things that I think give a certain amount of credibilty to the author. First, she has studied in many of the fields that she writes about in her book, and second, things just seem to make sense. Of course, the second reason is void if the facts are just false, and you seem to have proved that some are false, but that does not refute all of the connections. Still, it's nice to get a second opinion like that.

Your welcome.  :grin2:

I do believe that the US government has something to do with the event. Based on the facts and information, there are many questions unanswered. Won't you wonder why the US government is not answering those questions? Why are there too much secrecy behind the 911 incident?

This is too much of a coincidence, isn't it? There is a great analogy on this "conspiracy theory" thing. Look for the 911 on plane site by the Power Hour. Try watching the video. It's worth watching it.

I dont get it, "conspiracy" is one of the TOP prosecuted crimes in America. LITERALLY! All you have to do is add "theory" to the end of it and everyone just laughs at the information, no matter how good it is. If you research the history of the term "conspiracy theory" you will understand why. It is a tool. A easy way to make people not pay attention to valuable information. Of course we were lied to about 911, but I dont believe anyone (including this film) has really figured out what happened that day or who is to blame. But I WILL NEVER believe that Americas air defense system failed so miserably and spectacularly over and over in one day....and then the American president actually BENEFITED from this miserable failure... and it was all an accident. It is laughable.