Computer Crashes, even in boot up, and safe mode.

Blako

More problems with my Misfit Computer.  I thank you all for 4 pages of advice but the problem stands.

All of the following have caused my computer to crash, logging into my account, clicking shut down, starting a game, loading a BF2 map, exiting a game, clicking on don't send error report, and yes going to the bathroom :angry:.  I was having computer crashes constantly so I reinstalled windows Xp.  Fresh operating system and the problems continue.  I ran mem test and got 7 errors in the process of allocating memory before the test began :shock:.  Also ran MemTest86 and it really surprised me!  Every test was failed in the same way, both ram and cpu cache.  The program inserts a value in memory and then reads it to see if they match.

Wrote 0000 0000 to mem, 0000 0001 was read back.

Wrote 1010 1010 to mem, 1010 1011 was read back.

Wrote 6789 ABCD to mem, 6789 ABCE was read back.

CheckDisk reports a clean file system.  Memory errors found with any mem stick in any possable configuration.  At the moment booting windows normally causes it to crash before the login screen, and booting in safe mode sometimes hangs until it crashed or sometimes succeeds in loading safe mode.  I have an opinion about the problem but I wish to hear your thoughts.

I don't remember if the problem with the original supply came to my attention by crashes or errors  :undecided:.  But I do remember hearing the CPU fan roaring and I put my hand over the power supply fan to feal the temperature of the air, only to realize there was no air flow.  I can't recall if the computer was stable with the old power supply.  Its hard to disquingsh because this computer has had problems for 2-3 years.

This is no joke,  after the computer crashed 2 dozen times in a day I had the terrable misfortune of having my dreams crash on me in my sleep!  I can't emphasize enough the fustration I had in that dream.  :buck2:

Sales associate sold us MoBo and CPU combo & RAM combo

MSI PT880 Neo-FSR

"Pentium 4 3E GHz" with hyperthreading

Ok, shows how much I know about hyperthreading , my old skt A 2.6

gives me  hyperventilation at times  :evil6:

I did notice the memory timing warning on your MSI board

" Due to the High Performance Memory design, motherboards or system configurations may or may not operate smoothly at the JEDEC (Joint Electron Device Engineering Council) standard settings (BIOS Default on the motherboard) such as DDR voltage, memory speeds and memory timing. Please confirm and adjust your memory setting in the BIOS accordingly for better system stability." but I guess you have checked out that ?

All systems with in acceptable limits captain! [nerdly]

3GHz processor at 3013MHz - default and correct 1.36Vcore (but it varies from 1.31 - 1.41)

200MHz FSB MoBo at 203MHz FSB

1:1 FSB to RAM ratio

PC-3200 (200MHz "quad-pumped") at 203MHz

2.6V RAM at 2.6V

CPU-Z confirms memory running at its default and correct timings of 3-3-3-8 (Im making best guess cause computer is down)

During 3:2 FSB to where the ram runs at 166MHz with slightly tighter timings I have errors. So I set the ram to 1:1 200MHz and timings to 5-5-5-12 and still got memory errors.  This digital cam photo was taken with no tweaking done to the system.  Im looking up stride38 test on google which got zero erros on both test passes. http://oca.microsoft.com/en/windiag.asp#top

My best non conclusive data so far! :azn:  I had MemTest scan 200MB of the 512MB Kingston ram sticks, the rest was either used by windows or idle.

Mem stick A:

Diagnostic in DOS        MemTest in WindowsXP

Slot 1          5586 errors                0 errors, windows crash, boot crash, and corrupt error report

Slot 2          5622 errors                3% test complete with 100+ errors

Slot 3          5686 errors                failed to load windows, hung

Mem stick B:

Diagnostic in DOS        MemTest in WindowsXP

Slot 1          0 errors                     1 error, and windows crash

Slot 2          0 errors                     0 error, and windows crash

Slot 3          0 errors                     1 error

Scientific conclusion: "Mem stick A" is  :uglystupid2:, but still the crash with the good(er) mem stick is puzzling.

This message is brought to you by, "the Gooder Mem Stick" (running windows on 512MB)

Yes, I could but, If I run with 512MB ram and video card that was low end in the year 2001.... Whats my test going to be?  If I can't run the same programs (BF2 & Crysis) I can't recreate the error.  :undecided: ...At the moment im running a 3Ghz at 2.9 and 200mhz RAM at 193 (pc-3200).  It seems to be more stable, but to convince me it has to run flawless for a week. P.S. I think computer crashed on destop again :cry:

Do you have a PC store near you that can test your PSU....Normally they will test it for free(at least here they do).

Sounds like either the PSU or memory..

Did you try to bump the memory voltage up slightly to see if the errors go away?

My antec 550 HE was only a few months old when it went screwy on me..Would randomly reboot, crash, freeze, not start, etc...New PSU solved every problem, and allowed me to overclock much higher..

What kind of hard drive are you using?  Sata or ATA?  My old rig had a bad ATA ribbon.  The ribbon looked fine, but must have had a broken wire in it..Sometimes it worked..Sometimes it didn't.  It rebooted when it felt like it.  Drove me nuts for a long time..

Good luck...I would have probably had the hammer out already.  :knuppel2:

Yes, I could but, If I run with 512MB ram and video card that was low end in the year 2001.... Whats my test going to be?  If I can't run the same programs (BF2 & Crysis) I can't recreate the error.  :undecided: ...At the moment im running a 3GHz at 2.9 and 200MHz RAM at 193 (pc-3200).  It seems to be more stable, but to convince me it has to run flawless for a week. P.S. I think computer crashed on destop again :cry:

You have said a while ago that your computer crashes when logging into your account, clicking shut down, starting a game, loading a BF2 map, exiting a game...

First we have to make windows stable without running BF2 and Crysis? try to swap your low end video card and it seems that their is no problem in memory as you scan on it..try also to run applications and games that is supported in current hardware component... If you make it stable, then i guess its your video card... try to swap video card that support your BF2 and Crysis, Then try playing on it...

I said in reply 12 page 1 that I found a bad memstick. Im running on a good one thus ZERO errors.  Overclocking till I found an error didn't take long.  At 205mhz fsb or 3.075Ghz I ran into memory errors.  I tryed raising Vcore and Vmem, nothing.  fsb:mem ratio at 6:5, nothing.  This is really concerning because a 5mhz fsb overclock gets me errors, and I doubt its the cpu which normally runs at 3.013Ghz.  The computer ran at 3.19 Ghz giving me errors faster then I could exit them.  If running my cpu at 2.9Ghz makes an error free computer (which it is), then Im content with that.