Hughes.net problem.

rmax67

I have been reading on other sites about the downs of the hughesnet connetions, and satellite internet in general. One of the peeps on a posting site, stated there is a sat guru here who could help by the name of "The Reverend". I hope that all said on the site was true to fact and that he would consider helping me with my "lack of speed problem". This is  a c/p from the post on the other site:

If you would simply head to www.testmy.net, log in then post in the DirecWay Forum, they have a dude there named "The Reverend" (he's the DirecWay Moderator for the entire website) ...HE WILL GET YOUR DIRECWAY CONNECTION RUNNING AT FULL SPEED! I was just "turned on" to this info and earlier today he tripled my speed!

I have had several up mostly down times in reference to speed issues, since upgrading to their so-called fastest modem ever the HN7000S, can "The Reverend" or anyone possibly help me?

I was about to edit my post, I did not catch the dateline of it until now I was trying to do more research and found the actual past being made in 2005. Sorry for the time trip. I have had several speed and connectivity issues since upgrading and I started searching for help other than tech support which is no help at all.

Issues of trying to bring up some sites takes 2 or 3 tries to cannect to them, such any site that has a secure login on main page to enter. I am also trying what I am finding a lost cause almost as to connecting my 360 to xbox live. I am hoping to find maybe some type of "tweak of workaround" for some of what I have been reading actually being common problems. So I may be searching for what might be stated as a "lost cause or just got to live with it answer".

1) is it properly grounded (the system)

2) Try doing the whole page  http://www.testmy.net/t-4257

3) How is your signal strength

4) Is there ice or snow on your dish

5) Is your little window on the feed horn free of moisture drops

6) Restart your modem

7) The Reverands stuff if I remember correctly was designed for the now almost antique 4000 modem.

Let us know if this helped. And post a speed test with the "Largest - 2992 kB

" file test preferably.

http://www.testmy.net/tools/test/d_load.php

• 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

For about 2 months now my service will just go out no signal (it will drop to a signal of 15 for about 8 hours and then it come back on). I have called hughes net but nothing i am on g11 satellite anyone had this issue?

Althou hughes will not admit it, it's probably their NOC center issue. You need to be moved to another satellite but you must enter a trouble ticket and when the guy arrives try forcing him to move to another satellite.  When you call they will try other frequencies and just demand a try at another frequency. If that fails and they issue a trouble ticket, then pull the request to be moved to another satellite...

Althou hughes will not admit it, it's probably their NOC center issue. You need to be moved to another satellite but you must enter a trouble ticket and when the guy arrives try forcing him to move to another satellite.  When you call they will try other frequencies and just demand a try at another frequency. If that fails and they issue a trouble ticket, then pull the request to be moved to another satellite...

I would have to disagree with a NOC issue. Checking other forums there are no complains that would be constant with an issue because it would effect a number of people and not just one. I still have a site using G11 steady and faithful from the day initiated. Slow downs are dependent on the amount of traffic since the transponders are more limited than land lines.

I would have to disagree with a NOC issue. Checking other forums there are no complains that would be constant with an issue because it would effect a number of people and not just one. I still have a site using G11 steady and faithful from the day initiated. Slow downs are dependent on the amount of traffic since the transponders are more limited than land lines.

Since we work on these systems day in and day out...believe me, there is a problem. I, too, have had stable service on SatMex5 since the early beta-testing days of DirecWay.  Most people have no problem but there are some that have vexing problems that switching frequencies on the same satellite can't fix. Swapping equipment doesn't fix it and the only thing that does is switching to another satellite. We suspect switching resets everything in the NOC chain and for whatever reason, it fixes the problem.  Like I said thou, most people don't have such problems (thank God!!).

Most people have no problem but there are some that have vexing problems that switching frequencies on the same satellite can't fix. Swapping equipment doesn't fix it and the only thing that does is switching to another satellite.

My thoughts here since changing frequencies or equipment doesn't help either than that satellite may not be sutable for the location for some unseen reason even though it seems to be.  :undecided:

• 3 weeks later...

For about 2 months now my service will just go out no signal (it will drop to a signal of 15 for about 8 hours and then it come back on). I have called hughes net but nothing i am on g11 satellite anyone had this issue?

I too have a similar problem. I have been with Hughes for almost 8 years and my current problem has been going on for almost three months. I usually have a signal strength of 70 and am fine from about 8 AM until sometime between 13:30 and 2 PM when the service will go down on "signal strength" which shows 15. After unplugging my HN 7000S modem the service will return and work fine for up to 20 minutes until it happens again. This goes on until 5:30- 6PM when service returns and stays good until the following day around the same time. I can troubleshoot this system almost as well as the Indian techs who can only say my antenna is not pointed correctly. However they have no answer when I tell them this happens with a signal strength of from 68 to 70.

Ant help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

@ranchman. There is an alternative, just not sure if you are interested. I, too, live in the country and the only internet service I have out here is dial up. I looked into satellite(Hughes and Wild Blue) before coming up with what I have now. I guess my first question to you would be "do you have a cellular phone", second would be "how strong is your signal where you live?".

I am not sure if you know about it but I will explain just the same. I have my phone (Alltel Hue) tethered via usb cable (and sometimes bluetooth, but bluetooth is much, much slower) to my computer. I pay $25 per month for unlimited data usage from Alltel. I am not sure what cellular companies are available in your area, but I would check into it. In ideal conditions you can achieve 1.5 - 2.5 Mbps down with said setup. Unfortunately where I live my signal is only 2-3 bars out of 6, so I do not get the ultimate speeds. I only get around .5 -1 Mbps. It is something to look into if you haven't already. I would have gone with satellite, but the up front fees are outrageous, plus you have to have good credit. That is just one of the things my ex wife took away from me.  :grin:

Anyway, good luck on finding your solution. Hopefully someone can help. I don't know about satellites, completely out of my range of knowledge.

II usually have a signal strength of 70 and am fine from about 8 AM until sometime between 13:30 and 2 PM when the service will go down on "signal strength" which shows 15. After unplugging my HN 7000S modem the service will return and work fine for up to 20 minutes until it happens again. This goes on until 5:30- 6PM when service returns and stays good until the following day around the same time. I can troubleshoot this system almost as well as the Indian techs who can only say my antenna is not pointed correctly. However they have no answer when I tell them this happens with a signal strength of from 68 to 70.

It is possible there is some type of interference if is happening the same time every day. Your dish is probably pointed correctly if it cuts out with a signal of 70. Other possibilities are modem, LNB or even coax connections, anything is possible with electronic equipment. Myself I would go through the system starting with all coax connections (taking apart is the only way) and check the grounding also. The LNB would be checked that no water is in the feedhorn and the mylar cover is clear. I can't give any more advise without knowing the satellite and frequency your on.