UnComcastic Internet

ok...this is my first post and I'm posting here to find out something.

I'm supposed to have the 8meg speed from comcast for my connection (8mb/768kbps from what I've seen in other topics) Price isn't really a problem but I have been thinking of going to DSL once it becomes available in my area. The modem is a Motorola SB,connected via a USB Chord.

However for some strange reason everytime I test my connection I keep getting ~4mb type speed replys.

I've been on the phone with comcast techs off and on and gotten nowhere other then told to Buy a new PC. (fyi I'm on Win98 and it seems the rest of the world is on either XP or Vista with a Powerhouse PC)

I'm wondering if the problem really is either:

A. Comcast itself with it's (pardon the term) Craptastic service

B. A. & The Area I live in having lousy-ish service

C. Something in/on the computer (It wasn't until last August I found out the true meaning towards thier "powerboost" feature and about adjusting system settings with cablenut and the like. Which only improved things from ~500kbps-ish to now ~4000kbps-ish

D. Comcast has me on the 4meg plan for some unknown reason

also I've already ran virus and spyware scans...I'm clean so it isn't that

but anyway.

share2-BZTKP5H91&dual=yes&q2=2E6P9QMVG

I did the above speedtest just after registering and would really like some expert help if anyone here can help me(better then the comcast experts atleast) The Upload looks like it's near 768,but shouldn't my download speed be at least double what it is?

Sorry in advance if this post is in the wrong place and yes I have searched but didn't really find anything that seemed close to my problem. (if somebody does find a post which describes my speed problem please forgive me  :-|)

Also...would any of this have to do with those FCC Warnings I've heard about in the news with comcast capping people's bandwidth or something?

oh and one other strange thing...for some reason (also since August) whenever I check my ip with windows' ipconfig...the lease information is always dated yesterday but with the current time...why is that?

example: I go online at 01/20/2008 @ 10pm ipconfig reads something like: "Lease Obtained. . . . . . . : 01 19 08 10:02:24 PM"

My system date settings are correct so it doesn't seem to be that..but what could it be if it's related to anything.

Again Thanks in advance to anyone who does help me or respond at all and sorry if I did anything wrong on this first post. And futher thanks for having such a great site to turn to for Internet Users with speed trouble. (if Only I had found this site sooner...  :undecided:)

-Chandau 7

P.S.: oh I'm not running a firewall so that isn't the case either.

Hi Chandau 7  :hello:

ok...this is my first post and I'm posting here to find out something.

I'm supposed to have the 8meg speed from Comcast for my connection (8mb/768Kbps from what I've seen in other topics) Price isn't really a problem but I have been thinking of going to DSL once it becomes available in my area. The modem is a Motorola SB,connected via a USB Chord.

However for some strange reason everytime I test my connection I keep getting ~4mb type speed replys.

I've been on the phone with Comcast techs off and on and gotten nowhere other then told to Buy a new PC. (fyi I'm on Win98 and it seems the rest of the world is on either XP or Vista with a Powerhouse PC)

I'm wondering if the problem really is either:

A. Comcast itself with it's (pardon the term) Craptastic service

B. A. & The Area I live in having lousy-ish service

C. Something in/on the computer (It wasn't until last August I found out the true meaning towards thier "powerboost" feature and about adjusting system settings with cablenut and the like. Which only improved things from ~500Kbps-ish to now ~4000Kbps-ish

D. Comcast has me on the 4meg plan for some unknown reason

also I've already ran virus and spyware scans...I'm clean so it isn't that

but anyway.

share2-BZTKP5H91&dual=yes&q2=2E6P9QMVG

I did the above speedtest just after registering and would really like some expert help if anyone here can help me(better then the Comcast experts atleast) The Upload looks like it's near 768,but shouldn't my download speed be at least double what it is?

Sorry in advance if this post is in the wrong place and yes I have searched but didn't really find anything that seemed close to my problem. (if somebody does find a post which describes my speed problem please forgive me  :-|)

Also...would any of this have to do with those FCC Warnings I've heard about in the news with Comcast capping people's bandwidth or something?

oh and one other strange thing...for some reason (also since August) whenever I check my ip with windows' ipconfig...the lease information is always dated yesterday but with the current time...why is that?

example: I go online at 01/20/2008 @ 10pm ipconfig reads something like: "Lease Obtained. . . . . . . : 01 19 08 10:02:24 PM"

My system date settings are correct so it doesn't seem to be that..but what could it be if it's related to anything.

Again Thanks in advance to anyone who does help me or respond at all and sorry if I did anything wrong on this first post. And futher thanks for having such a great site to turn to for Internet Users with speed trouble. (if Only I had found this site sooner...  :undecided:)

-Chandau 7

P.S.: oh I'm not running a firewall so that isn't the case either.

Since you have an older computer im willing to bet that your usb is 1.0, that right there is a cap at 4mbps.  :icon_pale: sad to say.

Switch your connection to ethernet and install a ethernet pci card in that comp to obtain nice speeds

Heres my results on a Vista Business Machine (2gb kingston 667 ram, dual core 2.4ghz, x1650 256mb 128bit 16ppx, 2 sata 80gb's raid 0'd)

:::.. testmy.net test results ..:::

Download Connection is:: 7521 Kbps about 7.52 Mbps (tested with 12160 kB)

Download Speed is:: 918 kB/s

Upload Connection is:: 1448 Kbps about 1.4 Mbps (tested with 2992 kB)

Upload Speed is:: 177 kB/s

Tested From:: https://testmy.net (Main)

Test Time:: 2008/01/20 - 10:09pm

D-Validation Link:: https://testmy.net/stats/id-89IJRSNC3

U-Validation Link:: https://testmy.net/stats/id-1TG4IV03O

User Agent:: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.0; en-US; rv:1.8.1.11) Gecko/20071127 Firefox/2.0.0.11 [!]

Welcome to TMN  Chandau 7. I have the same plan that you have with Comcast. I live in southern New Jersey and the same thing happens to me. My  upload test stay pretty stable,but my download test all over the place. I could take 5 test in a row and get reading from 2000 to 10,000. Most of the time they are in the  4000 to 8000 range. Between 5:00 pm to 10:00 Pm I can never get a good download test. My theory is that Comcast oversold the node and there is too many people on the same lines. Now on top of that Comcast has phone service, those people are also using the same lines that we are using for the internet.  You said that you are hook up to the modem using USB, Ethernet is the better way to hook up to a modem. If your computer does not have Ethernet port on the motherboard you can buy a ethernet PCI card from the big box store of your choice for under  $ 50.00

First off,Thank You anox195,Buntz,and peepnklown for Replying to me and the welcomes  :smile2:

Since you have an older computer im willing to bet that your usb is 1.0, that right there is a cap at 4Mbps.  :icon_pale: sad to say.

Switch your connection to ethernet and install a ethernet pci card in that comp to obtain nice speeds

USB 1.0? hmm well that Would explain the 4meg cap...I wonder if USB 2.0 would be any faster...

come to think of it Comcast DID suggest ethernet a bunch of times too...only problem is the only thing on the back of this are the old 56k ports and I'm not exactly savvy with taking the pc apart in anyway(case or otherwise) to install a Ether-Card...are there ways of getting extrenal ethernet ports/slots to a PC? (I'll also shop around and start asking places many questions about it...who knows maybe the geek squad has one on sale like you said)

Welcome to TMN  Chandau 7. I have the same plan that you have with Comcast. I live in southern New Jersey and the same thing happens to me. My  upload test stay pretty stable,but my download test all over the place. I could take 5 test in a row and get reading from 2000 to 10,000. Most of the time they are in the  4000 to 8000 range. Between 5:00 pm to 10:00 Pm I can never get a good download test. My theory is that Comcast oversold the node and there is too many people on the same lines. Now on top of that Comcast has phone service, those people are also using the same lines that we are using for the internet.  You said that you are hook up to the modem using USB, Ethernet is the better way to hook up to a modem.

Hmm I'm still wondering if just ALSO having Cable TV effects Cable Net at all. (there's two digital cable boxes connected to two other tvs in this home...but Comcast swears up and down that it has no effect towards it...nor does thier comcotanage or Comcast vontage VOIP) oh and At least now I have a dialtone 99.9% of the time with a different telco. :grin:

Comcast has poor customer satisfaction, poor connection quality, and is actually blocking selected internet traffic.

I recommend that you fight for NET NEUTRALITY!

I've seen that site,even mentioned it and gotten a few intresting comments from people when I say "go to save-the-internet-dot-com"

Anywho I guess I should star shopping for a ethernet card...hopfully external if such one exists (there's no way I'm gonna dare take my pc apart :shock: )

I mean I do have a external spare HDD..through that's connected via USB too. Hm but many thanks for the help and any more help you TMN'ers can lend me.

(hmm one more T and you'd all be a bunch of crime fighting ninja turtles :lol: )

P.S.: I have gotten 4200-4400kbps-ish/~1000-1400kbps-ish speeds off speakeasy's speedtest not sure how true they really are,but have seen it peak as high as 4800(600?k down-rate)/1475(175k? up-rate)

If I remember right that harddrive that you have hook up to USB is hurting your speed too, the more stuff you have running  on USB the slower it goes. It not hard to hook up a Ethernet card it can be done in last then 5 minutes,so if you buy one from Best Buy they should be able to install it for you in no time.

If I remember right that harddrive that you have hook up to USB is hurting your speed too, the more stuff you have running  on USB the slower it goes.

Oh that lol no it's not always hooked up,just something I keep for spare storage/keep extra stuff on. I might have it plugged in for a half hour or so once a month and not while I'm online (did have it hooked up when I first installed drivers for it...but that was also back when I had dialup so...)

Right after replying I did happen to find a SMC Adapter (site I ordered it from said USB 1.0/1.1 compat. even through SMC's site says "based on USB 2.0") I had hoped it might at least do the same job.

That and the nearest Best Buy store to me is nearly always busy. Be it in person and finding something is "always out-of-stock,come back tomorrow or next week" or on the phone. (I'm not the only one to have had that "Best Buy on-hold music" stuck in my head am I?)

Anyway when my adapter arives I'll try it out and post back with the results.

[tt]Update:[/tt] share2-OUHVTM4FW&dual=yes&q2=KYF3EM6ND

Okay my upload is still Stable,yet my download is about a meg lower,what gives? :? I reinstalled the modem drivers just after installing the adapter...it says "made for USB 1.0/1.1"...don't tell me the USB 1.0 is still clogging and forcing me to a 4meg cap.?

or should I go look for a Network Card and directions on opening up the pc up to install it Before blaming it all on Lousy Crapcas-err I mean Comcast?

any more ideas?

(and Thanks again for any futher help)

Ok,I've tried the ethernet adapter,had better luck with the USB method,found out that this (and many other) PCs seem to have a motherboard limit of around 4megs (not just the USB one but thank you very much again anox for point it out)

:::.. testmy.net test results ..:::

Download Connection is:: 4396 Kbps about 4.4 Mbps (tested with 5983 kB)

Download Speed is:: 537 kB/s

Upload Connection is:: 842 Kbps about 0.8 Mbps (tested with 1496 kB)

Upload Speed is:: 103 kB/s

Tested From:: https://testmy.net (Main)

Test Time:: 2008/01/25 - 6:35pm

D-Validation Link:: https://testmy.net/stats/id-KZX3AOGU5

U-Validation Link:: https://testmy.net/stats/id-W9UA1E6VD

User Agent:: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; MSN 2.5; Windows 98) [!]

And all in all have decided to settle with what I've got regardless...I would like to know more about that 4meg plan...who knows maybe I can make comcast an offer they can't refuse to keep me as a customer? (if it's really worth the effort)

Anywho to anyone still reading this: Thanks for the help and this is one great site I still wish I found sooner. I still wish I could figure out the "Modem Lease ipconfig Yesterday" glitch I've got.

-Chandau 7

P.S.: where's the edit/modify button? so I could've just added 3 edits/updates to my previous post(s)

• 3 weeks later...

sorry to hear that you are having a hard time with comcast. but I had the same problem with them..I signed up for the 8Mbps package but only got 4Mbps..I tried everything to fix the problem..so after doing everything (this includes formatting my system) I decided to call them..after about 30 mins of talking and repeating everything I have done to about 3 tech people the last guy found the problem. I was connected to a hub that was many more miles away from me then it should be...So they make mistake like that..it happen to me twice when they switch the network from Aldelphia to comcast

• 5 months later...

:::.. Download Stats ..:::

Download Connection is:: 32177 Kbps about 32.2 Mbps (tested with 76793 kB)

Download Speed is:: 3928 kB/s

Tested From:: https://testmy.net/ (Main)

Test Time:: 2008/07/21 - 8:44am

Bottom Line:: 561X faster than 56K 1MB Download in 0.26 sec

Tested from a 76793 kB file and took 19.551 seconds to complete

Download Diagnosis:: Awesome! 20% + : 418.23 % faster than the average for host (comcast.net)

D-Validation Link:: https://testmy.net/stats/id-1U0AFPOH3

User Agent:: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 7.0; Windows NT 6.0; SLCC1; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; Media Center PC 5.0; .NET CLR 3.0.04506; InfoPath.1; .NET CLR 3.5.21022) [!]

that sucks =p