My wireless speed is random but is now nearly always slow!

amberleaf

Hi all,

i have connected to my neighbours BThomehub (with his permission) using a wireless network adapter. I am running Vista Ultimate edition.

When i first connected i was able to download things at approx 320KB/s but after a couple of days it is 11KB. I tried reinstalling Windows, i tried all the stickies here, i tried Cablenut. None made any difference at all.

Like i said the speed is occasionally very close to advertised speeds, but sometimes way off. I have even tried 2 seperate wireless adapters (one is a USB the other is my prefered PCI card, which has a better connection to the flat next door (signal 3 or 4))

Is there something im missing, i only use Windows Firewall at the moment, which when disabled makes no difference! i use Spybot, i have a brand new clean install of Windows aswell.

Are there any programs that can help me, i have a limited knowledge of this thing and cablenut was a little complex for me, but I could learn to use it if I knew that it would work.

Any tips would be much appreciated.

Thanks to all

Hi  Wecome to TMN. I too have limited knowledge of networking, but here a couple thing you can do. Does your neighbour have the same problem,it could be the internet provider, I have Comcast and my speed goes up & down all day with the amount of traffic on the net. It real bad from 5:00 to 10:00 PM. Also here is the easiest way I found to set up cablenut. http://www.j79zlr.com/cablenutXP2k.php Just fill out the form and then download the results & install them. Some one with more knowledge will show up soon to help.

thanks for the reply,

i will find out but i think my neighbours speed is steady, i dont think it is due to traffic as it is still slow at 2am sometimes. Alot of the time now (probly 20 hours per day) it is mega slow. I will look into the cable nut settings soon, when i have time, thanks again mate