Weird download/upload speeds

ajb62787

Ok. I have been having problems since Sunday on my internet connection drops like a rock  then after a few hours   goes fast again  then drops again.  I had been experiencing my downloading as 225Kbps but my upload is stable at around 680Kbps all the time.

Here is my stats now 

::::::::::::::::::::::::.. Download Stats ..::::::::::::::::::::::::

Download Connection is:: 2757 Kbps about 2.8 Mbps (tested with 2992 kB)

Download Speed is:: 337 kB/s

Tested From:: https://testmy.net/ (Main)

Test Time:: 2008/01/23 - 10:19pm

Bottom Line:: 48X faster than 56K 1MB Download in 3.04 sec

Tested from a 2992 kB file and took 8.89 seconds to complete

Download Diagnosis:: May need help : running at only 46.74 % of your hosts average (verizon.net)

D-Validation Link:: https://testmy.net/stats/id-AN5HPYEV6

User Agent:: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.1; SV1)

::::::::::::::::::::::::.. Upload Stats ..::::::::::::::::::::::::

Upload Connection is:: 393 Kbps about 0.4 Mbps (tested with 1013 kB)

Upload Speed is:: 48 kB/s

Tested From:: https://testmy.net/ (Main)

Test Time:: 2008/01/23 - 10:20pm

Bottom Line:: 7X faster than 56K 1MB Upload in 21.33 sec

Tested from a 1013 kB file and took 21.125 seconds to complete

Upload Diagnosis:: May need help : running at only 34 % of your hosts average (verizon.net)

U-Validation Link:: https://testmy.net/stats/id-O4TD52NYG

User Agent:: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.1; SV1)

THU JAN 24 04:38:42 2008

Uploading  Atten:     31.0 dB   Downloading Atten:     46.0 dB

Line Attenuation

Measure of how much the signal has degraded between the DSLAM and the modem. Maximum signal loss recommendation is usually about 60dB. The lower the dB the better for this measurement.

20dB and below is outstanding

20dB-30dB is excellent

30dB-40dB is very good

40dB-50dB is good

50dB-60dB is poor and may experience connectivity issues

60dB or above is bad and will experience connectivity issues

Uploading  Margin:     10.0 dB   Downloading Margin:     12.0 dB

SN Margin (AKA Signal to Noise Margin or Signal to Noise Ratio)

Relative strength of the DSL signal to Noise ratio. 6dB is the lowest dB manufactures specify for modem to be able to synch. In some instances interleaving can help raise the noise margin to an acceptable level. The higher the number the better for this measurement.

6dB or below is bad and will experience no synch or intermittent synch problems

7dB-10dB is fair but does not leave much room for variances in conditions

11dB-20dB is good with no synch problems

20dB-28dB is excellent

29dB or above is outstanding

Uploading Tx Power:     11.9 dB    Downloading Tx Power:     18.8 dB

TX Power

How much power modem (upstream) or DSLAM (downstream) is using. Maximum recommended is about 15dB. The lower the power the better for this measurement.

When my download rises  my upload sinks.   I have finally been told after years and years of kind customer service from Verizon that my line for the DSL has been bad and by their readings   its been bad for years and no one told me about this till now. The representative have arranged me to schedule a technican to come out and install a new telephone line from outside in  so that their is no interferance with anything. I have readings that no DSL customer should have on their line and by their system it is 2-6 times as much interference than what a typical DSL customer should have. Verizon and myself have been going through rough times but eventually  they have sticked to their side of the offer and have been willing enough to fix any problems  I have experience.

I had  scheduled a tech to come out friday morning and once the job is finished, I will be having speeds between 4 and 4.5Mbps download and 850Kbps upload   although the advertised speed suppose to be only 3Mbps download and 768Kbps upload.

From what the representative said, I am only receiving  64% of my download speed and 97% of my upload  meaning my upload is fine (when it gets fixed and gets its head out of its *** LOL) but figuring 64% is 2.8Mpbs  so  once the job is finished,  I will be at the speed noted above.

I happened to just noticed that if I go to Verizon's Speed Test site, it is giving me 675Kbps upload which seems weird by on here.