ATI all in wonder troubles

chd176

Hi, I'm unable to correctly install the drivers for my new ATI all in wonder card. I have completely installed all parts of my old Nvida and have upgraded my chipset for my AGP slot and installed the lastest ATI drivers. I have also completely reformatted my computer and started over to no avail. I think I have narrowed it down to the capture drivers because when I install the display drivers everything is fine. I run into problems as soon as I try to install the capture drivers at which time I get "We apologize for the inconvenience but Windows did not start successfully" and when I do a last known good then everything is fine but of course the drivers are installed. Does anyone have any ideas? Thanks in advance

Ok.. I need some more info..  what is your software environment?  I know that there were install troubles on pre sp2 systems...  Also which card do you have?  The other thing is to restart before you use the card..  Also did you install the AGP drivers before you installed the card?  there is something in the manual that said you need to install AGP drivers for non Intel based motherboards..

sorry about that now I have a fresh windows SP1 install with no other software at all installed other than the updated ATI drivers and AGP driver and I installed the card before the drivers (perhaps this is the problem?) Yes in the manual it says to get the latest motherboard AGP chipset drivers which I have done.

ok.. that could be the problem.. but i am not sure.. the manual says install the card and then run the cd.  i am referencing the 9600 AIW..  Try updating to SP2.. i am not a fan but that was one of the things that they said was "fixed" with the updated service pack..

OK we figured it out!!  What happened was ATI discontinued their all in one drivers for the AIW series.. Meaning that the current drivers only supported 9600 AIW and up.. chd176 had the 9200 series meaning that the latest drivers wouldnt run on that card... Go figure..  After about 1 hour we had the system up and running.. Basically  He followed this guide for removing the old drivers and starting fresh without having to reinstall windows..  We also installed sp2 for the "fix" that was included.  It had to do with the capture stuff i guess.. but what ever..  Then found the driver problem and got the latest updated drivers for the 9200 line.  Along with a upgrade to Direct X 9 and Windows Media encoder 9 the system was back up and not crashing on reboot!

What we learned...  ATI's support services suck! the fact that it took 6:30 friday night til 3:00 today to get this hardware installed is really sad! 

Well I guess it is time to move on..

yes I'm glad we got it up and running I'm not totally stupid...lol I've built my own computers in the past but NEVER ran across a problem this bad before I am just glad I got it running today now I can record the superbowl and burn it to DVD  :D! I just want to thank Swimmer again for taking time to help me with this!