computer BIOS restarting help

this is the first computer i put together and i don't know if it's software or hardware problems.  its started to act wierd in Firefox, for example i started this thread and it automatically went 'back' to the previous page and i had to click again to start the thread....

on my motherboard there is a green light that usually says FF, my monitor went black and the green FF started showing a bunch of random numbers.

then it went back to the startup after a minute and gave me this message

Floppy Disk Fail(40)

warning!  Previous System POST failed-Reverting to Safe settings

Please adjust BIOS settings in setup and reboot

HELP!

Make sure you hook the floppy disk cable up right.  It can go in either way. Flip the cable around and see if it still give you the same warning. Usually when the cable is backwards the light on the floppy disk player stay on all the time. You can also disable the check floppy disk at start up in the bios or just disconnect the cable all together if the floppy disk is screw up.

i think i'm in the right menu in the Control Panel, and this is what the startup looks like..i dont want to mess with it without knowing what to type in though

[boot loader]

timeout=30

default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)WINDOWS

[operating systems]

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect