hardware help

angelzwei

What did you accidentally plug into where?

Do you live in the US?

I know some countries use 220/230/240 in a single line instead of 2x120 in the US.

If this is the case, psu's sometimes have a switch on the back for 110/220v.  Some have auto-switching...

What is the normal household voltage?

You may have simulated a brown out, which could have damaged parts within the pc...

Did your original power supply have a switch on it for 110/220?  And was it set to 220 when you plugged into the 120?  If the power supply was autoswitching, it shouldn't have done any damage, but if it had a switch, and it was in the wrong position, I believe it's very possible you could have damaged something.

You put in a new power supply, and nothing changed?  Does the pc make any noises/beeps/etc?  Do any fans come on?

Did you try to clear the cmos?

Remove any pci cards, and unplug your hard drives and any usb devices, and see if anything happens...If it comes alive with everything removed, replace one by one until the problem arises again.

the original power supply has a switch and it is set to 220v.

and the new power supply don't have a switch.

nothing works when i installed a new power supply then turn on the cpu. even a fan does not work. no beeps.  :cry:

is it a switching power supply, that says it will work with 220?

If you got lucky, you may have just fried that other power supply, and the new one you put in may not be auto switching...

I haven't seen any that don't have a switch, and are not auto switching, but I am sure they make them...

Did you give the old power supply the sniff test...You can do the same for the motherboard.  Sometimes you can either visually see the damage, or you can smell it...If you have ever smelled a roasted transformer, you have an idea of what the smell is like....

While I doubt this is the case, have you tried to short out the 2 pins for the power switch?  It's most likely not the problem, but it is something that could cause it not to start at all  I've only had one switch go on me, but you never know...

What is the make/model of the new psu?

Edit:  You can also open up that old power supply, and see if there is a blown fuse in it...I'm not sure if all have visible fuses, but I know some do.  Maybe you got lucky and blew the fuse before any damage was done.

i accidentally connect the pc power cord to 110v.

then i supposed the one directly affected is the power supply coz it aint working anymore. then i replaced it with new power supply which have higher watts(atx 500).

problem is that my cpu is still not working.

what should i do?

please help! :sad: 

If the PSU is set to 220v and you accidentally plugged it in to a 110V power socket, I don't think there will be a bad effect coz it's like you are getting low voltage.  It will simply not work as it should.

It's just my opinion, I am not sure.. I'm not a hardware guy :D

If the PSU is set to 220v and you accidentally plugged it in to a 110V power socket, I don't think there will be a bad effect coz it's like you are getting low voltage.  It will simply not work as it should.

It's just my opinion, I am not sure.. I'm not a hardware guy :D

Actually it can cause a brown out condition.  As voltage drops, amp draw increases.

Some items may just not work, but some may be damaged.  PSU's are vulnerable to brown out conditions.  Plus, many surge protectors do not protect against brown outs(which is why a UPS is a good idea).

I see it happen all the time in the summer with transformers..If demand for power is very high, the power company decreases their output voltage.  This is fine, until it drops too low.  Then transformers become very hot, and sometimes either melt or explode.

• 3 weeks later...