wanting a video card

JH2688

can i ask? about the video card which is better 8400 GS or 7300GT? tnx because i have 7300GT in my PC. so that mean i cannot play COD 4 in my computer..

I would say the 8400 GS is the better card, it is newer technology. Even with the 8400 GS you will have to turn down the eye candy and maybe have to lower the screen resolution to get COD4 playable.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you can get it to work on DX9 I bet it runs like shit! :azn:

Actually, DX10 runs like shit, relatively speaking. They're still working on native DX10 games, every game so far was just a port and the difference in DX version was just not there. DX10 capable cards run DX9 just fine.

Even though it's an older card, the 1950 pro is surprisingly powerful, Newegg link. I would recommend you go and find a used one, they should be far less pricey.

For a little better investment, the 3850 would be good. Newegg clicky

For both cards the 512MB version would be faster with high AA and texture quality, but the difference is smaller than you would expect.

Both the 7300GT and 8400GS are the lowest of the low-end cards. You may be able to run at 800*600 lowest quality with both, but that's it.

Also consider, your power supply, airflow in case (sound levels vs temp), and the space available in your computer case.

Best video cards for the money

Graphics Card Charts

I recently got an Evga 8600gt 256MB for $100 and change.  Newegg now has 8600GT 512MB for $99  But stay away from DDR2 and get DDR3 memory cards.  EDIT: newegg also has a 8600gts 512MB $140 with a 40 dollar rebate.

NVIDIA will debut Geforce 9 series on valentine�s day, 2008. According to source inside NVIDIA, the first product of Geforce 9 series will be GeForce 9600 GT, aka D9P.

9600GT�s GPU is a 65nm processing chip. We already seem this tech on G92/D8P and G98/D8M. G80 and G86 have been EOLed, and G84 will also be EOL when the valentine�s day comes.

Source also tells some specs of the nex-gen GPU D9P. The core clocks at 500MHz while memory at 2000MHz, GPU will have 64SP. It is a main-stream product and only have one SLI connector so it can not support 3-Way SLI.

We just confirm that GeForce 9600 GT uses P545 PCB design (not 8800GT�s P393 PCB design), and the memory will be 256bit 512MB, still don�t know support DX10.1 or not .

Different from NVIDIA�s �hi-end unveils first� strategy, this time GeForce 9600 GT will be the first product of 9series. We are sure the product�s proformance will lower than 8800GT, and its rival will be Radeon HD 3850 and the upcoming RV635.

9600gt Expreview.com concludes the 9600gt is nearly double the 8600gt's performance

The price of 9600GT will be set between $169 USD and $189 USD.
If this card might affect some prices on cards in the $100-$120 price range as demand shifts. (Just a theory)

You don't need a Ferrari to go to the grocery store.

There are many cards priced at or below $100.00 that will work just fine for what you want to do with them and, more importantly, will not require you to buy a new power supply or mod your case in order to get them installed.

I made that mistake back when Oblivion IV came out.

My Radeon 600 pro ran the game but the framerates were low and no eye candy.

I bought into the hype and bought a Radeon X 1800 XT.

It barely fit in my case and when I got it installed my 400 watt PSU would not run it.

Another week of waiting and a new 550 watt supply latter I was finally running the game at max settings.

What a huge disappointment.

Average framerates were nowhere close to what others with that card were claiming.

And the eye candy wasn't that impressive either.

And as for direct x 10; don't worry about it.

It's there if you need it but it will have 0 effect on the way the card performs with direct x 9.c under win xp pro.

You probably already know this but in case you don't:

Since your mobo has onboard video when you install a new card on the first boot you will have to go into the BIOS and disable the onboard video or the card will not be recognized.

Um about that vern, err I disabled my onboard video before installing that 8600gt, and the 8600 only sends a signal to the monitor at the windows log in screen and not the 2 minutes before hand in bios and boot up.  Since I never see the POST screen should I activate the onboard video in windows to deactivate it in bios?

I don't know what mobo & BIOS version you have Blako.

Also, I'm not quite sure what you are asking.

But your 8600gt DOES begin sending a signal to the monitor during POST right after the BIOS tests it and determines that it is working properly.

It is at the factory default settings until the OS loads to the point where it can take over and change the settings to whatever you have them set at.

An interesting note about the OP's mobo: His Gigabyte mobo is "supposed" to be able to detect a PCIE video device and automatically disable the onboard video when that condition exists.

That may or may not work so it is a good idea to manually disable the built in video in the BIOS and be done with it since it only takes a few seconds to do.

heres what i think. if you have any other suggestion just let me know

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102714

its only 256MB but its surprisingly powerfull according to this http://www23.tomshardware.com/graphics_2007.html?modelx=33&model1=854&model2=1061&chart=286

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814131055

the powercolor one. its good but the only problem i see with it is that it is only directX 9, Would it work with direct X10? if i choose to go to vista in the future.

heres a couple more there both Radeon HD 3850 512MB

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814140086

this one is only $155 after rebate, but some of the review are questionable

http://www.newegg.com/product/product.aspx?item=N82E16814161215

this one is $190, and has some good reviews. i'd rather pay a little more to make sure its better.

what are you views on these and my other choices above.

From what I read the 3850 is a good mid range video card. It will play most of the games ,some will not be able to run on high setting.  It a good card for the price range you are in.  Any of the 3850 should be good ,But I think I would stay away from the Apollo card ,I never heard of them before.

so that mean 8400gs is better than 7300gt? geez i watse my money after all. damn salesman. he recommend that video card to me.. but is has a SLI do you think is that enough? tnx for the info

If you are talking about SLI a pair of 7300GT I think your money would be better spend on a better single card. Save up your money and get a single 3850 or for a  better card and a little more money  buy a 8800GT.

If you are talking about SLI a pair of 7300GT I think your money would be better spend on a better single card. Save up your money and get a single 3850 or for a  better card and a little more money  buy a 8800GT.

if your going to save up money get the 8800GT,,,,or save more and get the 8800GTX

if your going to save up money get the 8800GT,,,,or save more and get the 8800GTX

About 200.00 dollars more for the GTX  :shock:  The prices are coming down some and will probably be coming down some more next month when the new cards come out.,but there is still a big different in price between those two card.

About 200.00 dollars more for the GTX  :shock:  The prices are coming down some and will probably be coming down some more next month when the new cards come out.,but there is still a big different in price between those two card.

i was actually thinking about waiting a little for a small price drop...

I have a Nvidia Geforce 8600m GT 256mb on my new dell vostro 1500 laptop, I'm really eager to test out Crysis on Low settings, it will look like Playstation graphics but heh, at least I can choke people.  :laughing7:

lol nice...i played crysis on medium low settings on my 7950gt 512mb card in my desktop. choking people is FUUUNNN....except i never got to finish the game.... :cry:

heres what i think. if you have any other suggestion just let me know

Have you even been reading any of the posts? Those cards were suggested before. If you really want to stick to your budget the 8600GT with 256MB GDDR3 is the best option.

I know some of those cards were suggested before, I just wanted to get more feedback on them. I dont think the 8600gt 256MB will be fast enough for what i want. I want to be able to play games like Doom 3 with good quality, im willing to pay more for a better card. thats why i think the radeon hd 3850 512MB may be a better card.

I know some of those cards were suggested before, I just wanted to get more feedback on them. I dont think the 8600gt 256MB will be fast enough for what i want. I want to be able to play games like Doom 3 with good quality, im willing to pay more for a better card. thats why i think the radeon hd 3850 512MB may be a better card.

a 8600gt will run doom 3 on the highest quality at 1920x1200 with no problem. And will even run UT3 really well at 1680x1050

i want to check out both side of the card war before i make a decision.

now ive been reading a lot on both the nvidia 8600's and the ati radeon hd 3800's. most of them are saying that the 3800's are better then the 8600's

get the new g92 8800gts 512mb

its way to far outside my price range

Well you can look around newegg.

Radeon HD 3850 512MB = $180 (best bang for the buck)

Radeon HD 3850 256MB = $150-$170

8600GTS 512MB = $140 (very poor price to performance)

8600GTS 256MB = $100 (faster at low resolutions and slower then 8600GTt 512 at high resolutions)

8600GT 512MB = $100 (very affordable)

8600GT 256MB Verses HD3850 256MB on Doom 3 1600x1200, 4x AA, 8x AF, Ultra quality