Blu-ray Movie Help!!!

rjventre

I just bought a Blu-ray player (Sony BDP-S300) and 4 Blu-ray movies. I have a widescreen 60 inch TV (Sony KDS-60A3000). The problem that I am having is that all of my movies are being displayed in letterbox format. I would like to have these movies displayed on the whole screen since all of the movies are in the 16:9 aspect ratio. So far the only way I have figured out how to do this is to set the wide mode of my TV to zoom, but that cuts off the sides of the picture in order to fill the screen. Is there some other way to make these movies fill the screen? Any help will be much apreciated.

Thanks,

RJ

What are the aspect ratio of the movies.  If it's 1:85:1 then yes it should cover nearly the whole screen.  If it's something like 2:35:1 then you will have a little bit of black area on the top and bottom of the movie.  This is normal.  I have a hdtv and a ps3 and my movies are like this too.  Just be glad you don't have a old analog crt where the black bars take up over half the screen.  :grin2:

What are the aspect ratio of the movies.  If it's 1:85:1 then yes it should cover nearly the whole screen.  If it's something like 2:35:1 then you will have a little bit of black area on the top and bottom of the movie.  This is normal.  I have a hdtv and a ps3 and my movies are like this too.  Just be glad you don't have a old analog crt where the black bars take up over half the screen. :grin2:

Yeah, they just love picking on good TV's. Hey, they were good while they lasted.  [geek]

Yeah, they just love picking on good TV's. Hey, they were good while they lasted.  [geek]

Yea the hdtv crt's were actually quite good.  I was poking fun of the 4:3 non hd crt's.  Black bars on them usually take up most of the screen.  My friend had a hd crt tv and i actually liked the picture on it better than the lcd and plasma tv's that are out now.  The hd broadcasts had more pop to them.  Also there was no motion blur like you see in some of the lcd's.  To bad they couldn't have made a hdtv crt bigger than 34 inches without it being the size of a truck. lol  :grin2:

Back on subject i was reading more about the blu-ray movies and basically if it's 1:85:1 aspect ratio it should fill up the screen.  Otherwise you will have black bars.