WIRELESS INTERNET IN MY CAR

SpAwNgOd

OK SO THIS MIGHT SOUND STUPID BUT I DO ALOT OFCUSTOM WORK ON CARS AND MY LATEST ENDEVOR IS TRYING TO INSTALL A WIRELESS INTERNET SETUP IN MY CAR, I KNOW A LITTLE BIT ABOUT COMPUTERS BUT IT'S JUST ENOUGH TO GET MYSELF INTROUBLE, IF ANYBODY COULD GIVE ME SOME ADVISED ON WHAT ROUTE I SHOULD TAKE IT WOULD BE A BIG HELP

That's the thing, I have tried Sprint once and it gives me about 384Kbps but not really good.  If you intend to use it for gaming, I don't think it's a good choice.

If your talking about EVDO cards they can go way faster than that.

Download Speed: 770 kbps (96.3 KB/sec transfer rate)

Upload Speed: 373 kbps (46.6 KB/sec transfer rate)

Download Speed: 854 kbps (106.8 KB/sec transfer rate)

Upload Speed: 328 kbps (41 KB/sec transfer rate)

Download Speed: 916 kbps (114.5 KB/sec transfer rate)

Upload Speed: 471 kbps (58.9 KB/sec transfer rate)

Guest jeffwalker9999

sprint is my choice

http://www.jottodesk.com for a good stand / mount

I have used it from las vegas to la area in my mustang on I15 quite a few times

tied at&t but was like 1999 or 2002  did not like it back then

I use sprint's evdo b here in sin city at times

but 95% of time 802.11g is my main connect method

my 2 cents - jeff walker phd

Sprint EVDO is good, but if it is in your city go AT&T HSPA, I just set it up for a friend of mine on his notebook, and I was getting about 1 - 1.3mbps download and around 700kbps upload.

Pings were half way decent too 80 on the low end 160 on the high end. With clever routing you could play your xbox 360 on that.

I have seen some sprint cards that received about 31 Mbps (that is a test that was run from this site) DL and about .5 Mbps UL.

And as far as hooking it up so that you can use internet and play on Xbox live, kyocera makes a wireless router with its software run by Dlink that will allow you to plug in a Sprint (or other cellular) card as you internet access and then you can plug in 4 hardwire devices (and you can add a switch if you need more) into the router. Also the newer versions allow you to connect a USB cellular device into it instead of a card. That way you could mount that cellular device in the car where it could get the best signal, then, with the use of USB extension cables, you could hide the router and other parts inside the car out of sight. In fact, you could probably remove the antenna off of the router and install a more powerful one somewhere in the car, so where ever you parked the car would function as a hotspot. Then if you want you could secure it so that you and those with you can use the internet but others couldn't.

Just an idea to help you with your project.

If your talking about EVDO cards they can go way faster than that.

Download Speed: 770 Kbps (96.3 kB/sec transfer rate)

Upload Speed: 373 Kbps (46.6 kB/sec transfer rate)

Download Speed: 854 Kbps (106.8 kB/sec transfer rate)

Upload Speed: 328 Kbps (41 kB/sec transfer rate)

Download Speed: 916 Kbps (114.5 kB/sec transfer rate)

Upload Speed: 471 Kbps (58.9 kB/sec transfer rate)

Yeah, I dunno, that's the speed I get before.. That was around 2004 :)  Haven't used it again after that :)

Sprint EVDO is good, but if it is in your city go AT&T HSPA, I just set it up for a friend of mine on his notebook, and I was getting about 1 - 1.3Mbps download and around 700Kbps upload.

Pings were half way decent too 80 on the low end 160 on the high end. With clever routing you could play your xbox 360 on that.

we had to use my htc 8525 at a lan party when we dident have any tubes the phone supports 3g and HSDPA

got about 1500Kbps down and 850Kbps up

it was sad had a little phone to let every one get the new steam up date and sratcraft update and drivers

and the outher cool part was it also supports UMTS so i was chating with my girlfriend the whole time people where dling there stuff with no speed diff

Pings are nice....... :smile2: 

pingov0.jpg

::::::::::.. Download Stats ..::::::::::

Download Connection is:: 1114 Kbps about 1.1 Mbps (tested with 1013 kB)

Download Speed is:: 136 kB/s

Tested From:: https://testmy.net/ (Main)

Test Time:: 2008/02/28 - 12:04am

Bottom Line:: 19X faster than 56K 1MB Download in 7.53 sec

Tested from a 1013 kB file and took 7.452 seconds to complete

Download Diagnosis:: Awesome! 20% + : 26.45 % faster than the average for host (myvzw.com)

D-Validation Link:: https://testmy.net/stats/id-51A69RBPW

User Agent:: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 7.0; Windows NT 6.0; SLCC1; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; Media Center PC 5.0; .NET CLR 3.0.04506; InfoPath.2)

::::::::::.. Upload Stats ..::::::::::

Upload Connection is:: 592 Kbps about 0.6 Mbps (tested with 1013 kB)

Upload Speed is:: 72 kB/s

Test Time:: 2008/02/28 - 12:09am

Bottom Line:: 10X faster than 56K 1MB Upload in 14.22 sec

Tested from a 1013 kB file and took 14.018 seconds to complete

Upload Diagnosis:: Awesome! 20% + : 63.54 % faster than the average for host (myvzw.com)

U-Validation Link:: https://testmy.net/stats/id-0LQGHDNP9

User Agent:: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 7.0; Windows NT 6.0; SLCC1; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; Media Center PC 5.0; .NET CLR 3.0.04506; InfoPath.2)

:::.. Upload Stats ..:::

Upload Connection is:: 602 Kbps about 0.6 Mbps (tested with 1013 kB)

Upload Speed is:: 73 kB/s

Test Time:: 2008/02/28 - 12:11am

Bottom Line:: 11X faster than 56K 1MB Upload in 14.03 sec

Tested from a 1013 kB file and took 13.783 seconds to complete

Upload Diagnosis:: Awesome! 20% + : 66.3 % faster than the average for host (myvzw.com)

U-Validation Link:: https://testmy.net/stats/id-1ETKMNFLY

User Agent:: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 7.0; Windows NT 6.0; SLCC1; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; Media Center PC 5.0; .NET CLR 3.0.04506; InfoPath.2) [!]

Yeah, you've got that running pretty good there KOL.

:wink:

By the way, granpa's cracked out over 2 megs D/L before.  :wink2: And over 800 U/L. Yeah, he's tweaked his pretty good.

:evil6:

But I"m in my basement, and thats on a antennae.

yeah you gotta figure that every tower is different some only use 1-T1 some use 2 or more (granpa's tower)

*sigh* Gotta love it when people start getting better internet in their car, then I can get in my house!!! :tickedoff: Perhaps one day I will escape the wrath of satellite "High Speed" internet.

:2funny: :2funny: so bloody true , but don't rely on DSL , I only got about 1.6 Mbps on that in the UK, (long old phone line ) on a up to

8 Mbps tarriff $27.70 USD per month , now on a LLU ,( loop line unbundled , ) by accident after my ISP got taken over , and now get 4.5Mbps down ,for $19.50 USD a month in the UK , and free phone calls evenings and week ends , Yeah, I am kissing butt with my new  ISP,  :downtown: