Does a computer with ethernet affect wireless speeds?

Limache

Hi I have five laptops in my house that use wi-fi. My laptop uses an ethernet connection and I was wondering if that has any significant effect on the other four laptops? Someone complained to me that his internet doesn't work or is slow when my ethernet is plugged in the router, even when the ethernet was not plugged into my laptop. Btw, my ISP is Time Warner Cable (Earthlink Cable)

If there two sources (internet service providers) that your accessing then their independent.  If you have one ISP thats being routed into ethernet and wi-fi then bandwidth is dependent.  In my house there are 3 computers on a ethernet set-up, and unless someone is doing a large download or upload I never sense any slowdown on the other computers.

Oh sorry for the confusion about the ISP. It is ONE ISP because Time Warner owns subsidaries of ISPs (Road Runner, Earthlink) so I wanted to be clear about which one I used lol. But yeah, we're all using the same ISP.

Okay, so someone was telling me that because my ethernet was plugged into the router (but not being plugged into my laptop), he said that the wi-fi wasn't working until after he unplugged the ethernet from the router. Does that really happen or is he just mistaken?

Also, he says that yesterday that a few times an error page from Earthlink popped up saying that it won't let him connect or that it was really slow. Could that possibly be from people in the neighboring area who watch cable tv or use cable internet?

Also, is the speed between ethernet and wi-fi very significant?

First the speeds between Ethernet and WI-FI can be very significant.

Not sure when you were having this problem, but I have Earthlink Highspeed through my comcast, but I still use earthlink IP addresses and earthlink dns servers. I notice a few nights agao that for some reason their dns servers were having some issues. Most of the pages I would try to get to were either really slow loading, if they would eventually load, but most of the time would fail to load. I checked the dns records via nslookup and found that all pages were being directed to one of earthlinks dns servers for some reason. I was able to vnc into one of my work computers (I work for a local WISP, so I know my equipment would be working fine). From there I could nslookup the correct IP addresses for websites. I could then use those IP addresses to get to the websites fine. It seems that the internet was working but their dns servers got messed up for the night. They seem to be working fine now. It is possible that he was having the same problem at the same time I was.

Also, if the Ethernet cable is plug into the router but not plugged into anything else, this should have zero effect on the function of the router. The only exception would be if the router is some problems (and I can't even think of any that would be caused by that) or if some of the wires in the Ethernet cable have been nicked and you are getting a short across a few wires. That could cause the router to think it is receiving data when it isn't.

DNS server issues has been an ongoing problem of EarthLink for a couple of years now.

Number 1 fix your EarthLink TSRs will give you is to hardcode DNS IP Address on the Modem/Router.

With regards to authentication, call EarthLink and ask TSR to Refresh your account in their Radius Servers (ELK's Auth Servers).  If they tell you they don't know how to do that, tell them to go to their MIDAS database, it's there.

Is TSR Technical Support Representative? Sorry I don't know as much of the jargon because I don't post here that much (i think that'll change now lol).

How would I know if I have DNS problems? I don't work for a WISP so I can't use VNC and use a work computer lollll.

Oh and what's opendns?

Btw, I actually called Time Warner a few days ago because I was trying to get my port forwarded for my bittorrent lol. I didn't tell them that of course but I told them I needed to get the DNS server numbers. She said that it's all automated so that she can't even give me the numbers because she doesn't know them. Is that true?

btw, the reason I wanted the DNS server numbers was because I was reading on portforward.com that you had to get the DNS numbers to create a static ip.

I think that's for Earthlink DSL, not Earthlink cable, which is what I have. I talked to an Earthlink DSL technician who gave me two DNS numbers but then when he found out I had Time Warner/Earthlink Cable, he said that those DNS numbers are only for DSL.

Hm so all I have to do is put in the DNS server numbers and it'll instantly give me better browsing speeds and more reliability?

If I use these numbers, will Azureus be affected? Also, since I have a Macbook, do I have to set the DNS server numbers for Airport (wi-fi) and the ethernet option or will setting DNS numbers for one set it for both?

• CA3LE locked this topic