Virgin tweeker..(newbie)

racenchk

hey hey hey....i have to say this has been so great being able to have a site that provides information to people like me.  i am new to all this and am trying to get a little more out of my laptop...speed wise.  i am not a hard core gamer or anything....however i do enjoy a nice torrent every now and then and dont want to wait as long as i have been.  here are some stats on my os....

HP-Compaq presario F700 notebook

vista...i know...argh

amd turion 64x2  TL-58  1.9 GHz

1983 MB (memory-ram)

32-bit OS

I performed the vista tweek that is stickied on the top of this forum and here were the results....

~~BEFORE TWEEK~~

:::.. Upload Stats ..:::

Upload Connection is:: 737 Kbps about 0.7 Mbps (tested with 1496 kB)

Upload Speed is:: 90 kB/s

Tested From:: https://testmy.net/ (Main)

Test Time:: 2008/02/25 - 9:02pm

Bottom Line:: 13X faster than 56K 1MB Upload in 11.38 sec

Tested from a 1496 kB file and took 16.627 seconds to complete

Upload Diagnosis:: Awesome! 20% + : 214.96 % faster than the average for host (spcsdns.net)

U-Validation Link:: https://testmy.net/stats/id-G72AMWEU0

User Agent:: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 7.0; Windows NT 6.0; SLCC1; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; Media Center PC 5.0; .NET CLR 3.0.04506; InfoPath.2) [!]

:::.. Download Stats ..:::

Download Connection is:: 220 Kbps about 0.2 Mbps (tested with 386 kB)

Download Speed is:: 27 kB/s

Tested From:: https://testmy.net/ (Main)

Test Time:: 2008/02/25 - 9:05pm

Bottom Line:: 4X faster than 56K 1MB Download in 37.93 sec

Tested from a 386 kB file and took 14.398 seconds to complete

Download Diagnosis:: May need help : running at only 3.75 % of your hosts average (spcsdns.net)

D-Validation Link:: https://testmy.net/stats/id-BPJS34GE9

User Agent:: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 7.0; Windows NT 6.0; SLCC1; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; Media Center PC 5.0; .NET CLR 3.0.04506; InfoPath.2) [!]

~~AFTER VISTA TWEEK~~

~download~

Your connection is: 385 Kbps or 0.4 Mbps

You downloaded at: 47 kB/s

You are running: 7 times faster than 56K and can download 1 megabyte in 21.79 second(s)

Member Ident:Username:racenchk CompID:65036689248

Test Time:: 2008/02/25 - 10:06pm

Test Browser and OS info: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 7.0; Windows NT 6.0; SLCC1; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; Media Center PC 5.0; .NET CLR 3.0.04506; InfoPath.2)

Test ID: GV0W25YH7 (if this is a screenshot go to testmy.net to see if this is fake)

Diagnosis ^info^: May need help : running at only 6.56 % of your hosts average (spcsdns.net)

This was tested from a 386 kB file and took 8.216 seconds to complete

~upload~

Your connection is: 464 Kbps or 0.5 Mbps

You uploaded at: 57 kB/s

You are running: 8 times faster than 56K and can upload 1 megabyte in 17.96 second(s)

Member Ident:Username:racenchk CompID:65036689248

Test Time:: 2008/02/25 - 10:09pm

Test Browser and OS info: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 7.0; Windows NT 6.0; SLCC1; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; Media Center PC 5.0; .NET CLR 3.0.04506; InfoPath.2)

Test ID: XPT5FNWMY (if this is a screenshot go to testmy.net to see if this is fake)

Diagnosis ^info^: Awesome! 20% + : 97.45 % faster than the average for host (spcsdns.net)

This was tested from a 1013 kB file and took 17.896 seconds to complete

btw...i have uninstalled norton..and some other programs that were on this notebook...which i just bought less than a week ago :)

i would love any advice from you guys since as i said ...i am quite new to this.

thanks and have a great night!

~kimberly~

crap are you serious....no i didnt...i was going to get some discs tomorrow cause i was out and couldnt backup...i thought it would be find to do the vista tweek...why would something like that be on your forum....and stickied of all things if now i have to be worried about backing up and reversing the tweek?

please let me know what i can do without the backup...

thanks for getting back to me so quickly too...

~kimberly~

racenchk ; I think I can help you get back to where you were depending on which tweaks you did.

If you did this one that is the default setting for most Vista OS's so that shouldn't be the problem.

" netsh int tcp set global autotuninglevel=normal

Maybe a few instructions on this .First Run command prompt as administrator.Once you have the command prompt type or copy & paste this :

netsh int tcp show global  This will show the commands currently on your Vista.

netsh int tcp set global /?  This will show the command options

You might try the "disabled" setting then back to the "normal"

Now if you installed & tried Cablenut.This is bad advice for Vista.Cablenut does NOT work with Vista period.Vista adjustments are completely different.I don't have it installed on my Vista but I have used Cablenut in the past .I believe at the bottom of the Cablenut control panel there is a "Remove Cablenut registry settings" button That might not be the exact name but should be similar.Use that first then restart your computer.Then uninstall Cablenut with it's uninstall.Restart again.Any settings Cablenut made should be removed.

If you made other changes some may be correctable .If you used a "Registry Cleaner"then you may need to "reinstall" Vista.Since you have only had it a week that shouldn't be too much of a problem.I don't use a registry cleaner if you do be very careful with what you decide to let it remove or change.If you did use one & it was a "good"one it should have given you a backup option.If you have a registry cleaner backup follow it's instructions.To restore .

I made a post for removing Norton correctly here:

http://www.testmy.net/t-20662.msg238124#msg238124

On "reinstalling" your Vista my PC had this option on the computer manufacturer or BIOS boot screen when I purchased it.yours may also have this.If it does that is what I really reccomend since you have only had your notebook a week.If you don't know contact the manufacturer.Then you can remove the Norton correctly.

I hope this helps

my oh my....if i were playing a game i would have gained 50 experience points in these last 24 hours...lol.

well here is what happened....i did the tweek for vista like i said before .....then WHAM....suddenly i slowed way down....then....nothing...i lost all connection...then i had a major registry error and dicided then and there that it was time to make a decision.  since i have brought this laptop home...i have formed a very negitive opinion about vista as many have....so today i said buh bye to vista and hellooooo to my trusty XP...it took some time and sweat to find the drivers and goodies to run XP on this vista lovin laptop but i did it....im back and here are my stats.....any advice.....safe advice.....hee hee

share2-WY0GOBM6N&dual=yes&q2=QCBTP61D5

thanks,

~kimberly~

racenchk ;Probably a good idea on the change to XP.Still your DL improved but your UL is lower.

With Vista your DL speed was better after the tweaks.I would still like to know the tweaks youi actually did.So how about a list .That might prevent someone else form having the same problem.

@ ~kimberly~ a.k.a racenchk. welcome to tmn.

i think the DL slowdown was because of your norton. and the boost in UL after the tweak was because you had a good setting for that. you should not have touch anything after the tweak, concentration point should have been in your DL. well anyways everything was done already so we'll just move on.

what are your advertised speeds?