Drive partitioning(combining extended logical partion to primary partition)

MttFrog13

Ok...a long story short i installed ubuntu linux...loved the OS but didn't support programs i needed...I allocated it some space on my hard drive and after decided i wasn't gonna use Ubuntu anymore i deleted that partition off my hard drive. Somehow that partition is now an extended logical partition. I couldn't delete it or format it to try to make it unallocated space so i could combine it back with my main primary drive. So i heard something on many forums about how my problem is caused because i have an oem drive and i would have to reinstall vista. I did this and it helped, i can now at least format the extended logical partition so i can use it unlike before, but still i can't delete it. When i try to delete it i get a message that "there is not enough space on the hard disk for this operation."

To try to lead u in the right direction i think i heard something about a pagefile to free up space or something i'm not sure...

What do i do???

If u need any info to help me just let me know and i'll get back to u really quick.

thanks in advance

When you say "OEM" you either mean you bought the HDD stand alone, and installed it, or do you mean it was in the machine , pre loaded w/ Vista?  If it is the second, is there a "backup drive " showing as well? If so, thats one of the reasons there is no space to remove partition. Use "gparted live cd" http://download.tuxfamily.org/gpartedlive/  , D/L the 1st ISO on the list , you can boot to this cd)  to make any adjustments you want. But be sure you know exactly what you are changing, and watch the " flags" section. Change as little as possible when deleting a partition.

The EXT3 partition is what Linux/Ubuntu (formated on Ubuntu installation as) uses as well as a swap, ans possibly a combination of others as well. But not sure why they weren't deleted during uninstall.

Have you tried booting from the vista dvd and running the recovery console; then open a command prompt and typing fixmbr?

I'm not sure what all that means but i followed this guide.

http://forum.notebookreview.com/showthread.php?t=157838

When you say "OEM" you either mean you bought the HDD stand alone, and installed it, or do you mean it was in the machine , pre loaded w/ Vista?  If it is the second, is there a "backup drive " showing as well? If so, thats one of the reasons there is no space to remove partition. Use "gparted live cd" http://download.tuxfamily.org/gpartedlive/  , D/L the 1st ISO on the list , you can boot to this cd)  to make any adjustments you want. But be sure you know exactly what you are changing, and watch the " flags" section. Change as little as possible when deleting a partition.

The EXT3 partition is what Linux/Ubuntu (formated on Ubuntu installation as) uses as well as a swap, ans possibly a combination of others as well. But not sure why they weren't deleted during uninstall.

yes i mean that it was preinstalled. And yes i've heard of gparted and already downlaoded it, i'm gonna try it out when i get back from class when i have more time.

GParted will probably solve the problem,

If it doesn't, I'll give you a step by step walkthrough on fixing the MBR ( master boot record ).

ok i'm still going to try gparted, but so u know what i was talking about dealing with OEM hard drives, i read this article below and tried the windows utility diskpart yesterday which said something along the line of "can't delete partition that is non-empry". look here...

http://www.winvistaclub.com/t11.html

I also browsed the web and found numerous people having the same problem all who seemed to have dells and one who even had the same dell vostro 1500 i have...