Unstable 8800GT

Le_Murphant

I got a Galaxy 8800GT about a month ago and somehow it seems to be unstable with stock speed because when I play C&C3 it usually crashes (the program closes with no error message) after about half an hour. I am quite certain that the video card is to blame since I have never been able to go past 15 minutes without an error in the ATItool stress test. I use an aftermarket cooler (vf900) but the ramsinks arent installed because I can't get them off my old card. Once, I forgot to plug in the cooler fan and I got a bsod but my card did not reach a temperature higher than 65C according to speedfan (I was not gaming), so I doubt that it was permanently damaged. The card usually idles around 50C and gets to 55C while gaming, and to 68C while stress testing. I tried playing portal and UT3 for more than an hour each, and no problem, but I think C&C3 pushes the card harder. Any ideas on the cause and potential solutions?

No, mine was a standard 1800MHz speed. Indeed, some "factory overclocked"versions are clocked too high and need to be clocked down, but I just have the regular model. I have been playing C&C for a few hours and there was no crash, I guess this is periodic. I'l be running ATItool for the next few minutes to see how it goes.

If you are using beta drivers they cause the card sometimes to be unreadable on certain motherboards. Stick to the drivers offered on your graphic card makers website, or at nVidia.com. Beta drivers are named beta for a reason, to test to see if they work. If you need to get a new driver, download driver cleaner pro, google it it's a free program you'll need to reboot into safe mode run the program restart install driver and then restart once more. Check it out.