New Server = Slower Speeds Reported

CA3LE, thank you and all for the all the hardwork! It's back to the site we all came to know and love.

:::.. Download Stats ..:::

Download Connection is:: 8323 Kbps about 8.3 Mbps (tested with 12160 kB)

Download Speed is:: 1016 kB/s

Tested From:: https://testmy.net/ (Main)

Test Time:: 2008/03/25 - 6:47am

Bottom Line:: 145X faster than 56K 1MB Download in 1.01 sec

Tested from a 12160 kB file and took 11.968 seconds to complete

Download Diagnosis:: Awesome! 20% + : 36.15 % faster than the average for host (comcast.net)

D-Validation Link:: https://testmy.net/stats/id-Y72641VOK

User Agent:: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 7.0; Windows NT 5.1; Comcast Install 1.0; .NET CLR 1.0.3705; .NET CLR 1.1.4322; Media Center PC 4.0) [!]

Mine's getting better, but still not accurate:

Download Connection is:: 2435 Kbps about 2.4 Mbps (tested with 2992 kB)

Download Speed is:: 297 kB/s

Test Time:: 2008/03/26 - 5:14am

Bottom Line:: 42X faster than 56K 1MB Download in 3.45 sec

Tested from a 2992 kB file and took 10.063 seconds to complete

Download Diagnosis:: May need help : running at only 49.84 % of your hosts average (mindspring.com)

D-Validation Link:: https://testmy.net/stats/id-TJ3WZ1MR8

User Agent:: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.1; SV1; .NET CLR 1.1.4322; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; .NET CLR 3.0.04506.30; .NET CLR 3.0.04506.648) [!]

And yes, I did clear the cache before testing.  :undecided:

Download Connection is:: 1725 Kbps about 1.7 Mbps (tested with 2992 kB)

Download Speed is:: 211 kB/s

Test Time:: 2008/03/26 - 5:30am

Bottom Line:: 30X faster than 56K 1MB Download in 4.85 sec

Tested from a 2992 kB file and took 14.209 seconds to complete

Download Diagnosis:: May need help : running at only 34.21 % of your hosts average (rr.com)

D-Validation Link:: https://testmy.net/stats/id-63ON8I9FH

User Agent:: Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; Intel Mac OS X 10_5_2; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.13 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1 Safari/525.13 [!]

cool. not to bad for a 15/ 768 connection eh?  It'll all wash clean when the server gets totally transferred.

Although I reported some days ago the speed test appeared to be fixed, it wasn't.  However after the recent notification the repair has been completed or words to that effect, the speed test definitely seems to be its old self again.  Thanks for the repair. :smile2:

• 2 weeks later...

It seems that it still affects me.  TM rates me around

And other sites put me between 10 and 16 Mbps.  I don't know what is going on here :mad2:

Well its good to see you back if nothing else but to say the speedtest is not right Storm. Miss your posting. So hows the little gal? I hope the test works for you soon.  :grin2:

It seems that it still affects me.  TM rates me around

share2-KJT6F2XL4&dual=yes&q2=5T8EW2O7Z

And other sites put me between 10 and 16 Mbps.  I don't know what is going on here :mad2:

the other sites put me way higher too...but higher numbers aren't necessarily the right numbers...

one i just did has me 20736 (20.2) ...no way i pay for 7/512 here i score 6566 (6.5)  sometimes i get up to 11 ...which one do i believe?? which one would be nice??

Although speeds reported by testmy.net are about the same as they were before the problem, they seldom are as fast as those reported by other online test sites or close to what testmy.net reports for my ISP, Cox.  For example, testmy.net this morning showed Cox to be 7.2 Mbps down and my speed to be 5.7.  However, Speakeasy routinely reports my download speed to be about 7.5 Mbps.  Cox advertises 7 Mbps down with short bursts above that.

• 1 month later...

I had the same problem... since the new server went online my d/l speeds reported were cut in half....

2 things different I noticed so I did a bit of searching....

1) in the D/L screen while running the tests I get ASCII characters that show in my screen just prior to showing the test results window... which is some type of error on this new server.... I get it on all OS of windows on 3 different ISP's I use

2) the particular provider I use on this system I did a bit of investigating and discovered that the ISP itself has put limiters in place on the bandwidth usage so if you are getting close to the PEAK usage limit.... the ISP itself CUTS your bandwidth.... then they monitor your usage and set limits.

The "bandwidth usage LIMITS are something that went into effect DECEMBER 2007 for some type of "FAIR PRACTICE ACT" they claim that if you use "HIGH BANDWIDTH"  or do "online gaming" that the packets are so large it slows down all other users that have that particular ISP so what they do it place a LIMITER to monitor usage and restrict the "Flow'  so that your speed is much slower then it used to be.

With the amount of NEW users on a daily basis and the ISP trying to comform.... say a satelite was set for 100k users..... all last year satelite providers such as WILDBLUE were scrambling to "upgrade" the satelites in an effort to handle up to 500k users.... so half the time the isp's were taken "offline" for hours at a time to do these so called upgrades.... and in reality what they were doing was placing monitors on all accounts to monitor your usage and then applying "limiters" to your satelite.

To ensure that all customers have equitable access to the satellite network, we have set a rolling 30-day limit on data customer usage per customer, called Usage Threshold, which is detailed in our Fair Access Policy (FAP). 

While ________________ Network does track the total volume of traffic on an account, we highly value our customers' privacy.

If, after discussing this matter with all users of your ______ Network High-Speed Internet powered by WildBlue service, the excessive usage cannot be accounted for, it may have been caused by the misuse of your system by an outside person.  Unfortunately this would mean that the security of your system has been compromised, and will need to be secured as soon as possible.  To remedy this issue we recommend you follow these steps:

1.  Ensure that you have applied all critical patches and service packs to your operating system (i.e. Windows).  These are available at http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com.  Microsoft Internet Explorer is required to access this page. 

2.  Ensure that your anti-virus software is up to date.  New virus definitions come out frequently; if you are uncertain whether your software is current you will need to verify that you have the most recent updates.  Most programs can be configured to update on their own.  At the time your service was installed, you should have received F-Secure anti-virus software either downloaded from the Internet or on a CD. If you do not have anti-virus software, you should install a current version as soon as possible. 

3.  Have your computer serviced by a professional.  In a large number of cases, there has been a breach in the security of the affected computer.  This could possibly lead to more severe issues, or a recurrence of excessive usage coming to our attention.

Cable modems for the longest time were nothing more then 33.6k modems because of the FCC regulations.... they just accepted larger packets of information  then a "dial-up"

With WILDBLUE.... I can get better D/L - U//L  speeds still using a 'dial-up' connection over the satelite.