hottestarcher

Best Free Anti-Virus

Well its too bad you don't like AVG cause now you'll have to settle for what is the second best free Anti Virus today. Namely AVAST.

I disagree, AVG messed up too many times for me. Only once did AVAST fail me in the last few years. :thumbsup:

If you trace who writes the "fixes" for the destructive code , you'll find that none of the above actually have nearly as much clout in the industry as the people of clamAV , the same people write for clamXAV , clamWin , and the most impressive part of this , is they also work predominantly within snort . If your not sure what snort is , really it might be the engine that helps most in resolving who and where the virus's come from as well as searching them out , storing databases and looking for patterns in release , snort is used by most is not all governmental ( not just the US ) locations that need the highest forms of security. As well of course as many other objectives.

Using WinXP SP3 32bit - most browsing with Firefox, having NoScript installed. I have Avast installed. It seems okay, but how can I judge really?? It has given one consistent false positive, which I whitelisted. I had used MSSE - Microsoft's [currently] free "Security Essentials." But I decided if any malware author were to aim to circumvent or spoof an antivirus MSSE has gained big Win market share so it would be the main target, just as MS Win systems are. So I switched. For those not wanting a realtime monitor, Malwarebytes, when downloaded, will put a context menu option to check a file, directory, etc. with it, making the process easy. It is slow to launch, but consumes no steady realtime bandwidth. As to Virus Total, the Spybot people have a "FileAlyzer 2" utility, free, where you can poke around looking at a file, etc., AND an integrated link to using Virus Total - to send out the file. It makes sense to me to launch that utility, and if desired use Virus Total that way. There is Clamwin, open source, free, and scan on demand as Malwarebytes. I sometimes use different free online scan services, varying which to use when, in case some malware exists that some detect while others miss it. The advice to access only trusted sites is sound, but I don't do as I preach that way, and I guess others don't either. I find it interesting the words "Symantic" and "McAfee" are absent in the thread.

I like Microsoft Security Essentials (MSE) as it has caught viruses that Avast could not. I did a full scan with Avast on a laptop. Had some problems that seemed to indicate a virus present. Installed MSE, ran a full scan, there was the viruses that Avast did not see. Avast needs a lot of room to operate as does AVG. MSE is sleeker. Once in a while I use Trend Micro's House Call to double check.

the best is the one that works for you , IMHO ,

I use Avast free , coz I like the sexy female voice , but AVG also worked fine for me ,

but none of them are 100%, it takes time to update against the latest threat ,

I rely on knowing whats running on my box and a check with Hijackthis .de from time to time,

and the monthly back up ,

mind you I haven't had a problem for 8 years ,maybe I don't surf on the wild side ? ,

I don't see virii as the big threat , more likley key loggers these days ,

BTW, I still use a combo of keyboard and on screen mouse keyboard for bank details ,

P.s anyone using Glary ut's , works great for me , http://majorgeeks.com/Glary_Utilities_d5870.html

??? but then WTF do I know ,I was still getting teenage spots at 40 yo ,

best AV ? is inside your head IMHO ,

I ran a XP box, firewall and AV free , ( known as my sitting duck ) just for fun,

3 monthes later I gave it a test on Hijackthis .De , it reported clear ,

best AV is only as good as the latest update , and then only at 98% detection rate

I again concur with you roco, antivirus is for detecting places you've been , and closing holes you've opened from a sketchy email.

In all honesty Iv'e had one virus on any of the many systems we have around here, which was completely my fault and my doing. [don't ask just take a guess chances are your correct lol]

Now the rest of the immediate family follows the links, and at times I would have to deal with a few of those nasty cookies and trackers. Which you really cannot get the regular user to stop doing. So you have your firewall appliance block as many outgoing connections from the paid blue tack lists as possible.

as i'm paranoid i use either avast or avg. currently avast. although i just watch what i do and where i go. if it seems sketchy, i double check my system before going there, research the site, then go ahead and go if it seems clear. sure i've had some things screw up before, i've done it by accident, and done it on purpose (to see if my av could even catch stuff). hell i have a collection of discs i could potentially use to screw over a system by a few simple clicks. lol always pays to be prepared...sometimes even paranoid users are the safest :-P

by the way...i cant find my G-disk.....i wish i could find it...that thing i got from an anonymous source (worker for a company that was the tech for the systems there)....that was my go to "im doing this wipe the easy way" disk. haha

lol , cute

The 'things' that people should be more concerned with now then any silly virus , are not even but a 24k file ( if that ) within the registry that spoofs the DNS , no matter where you setup any further servers. Not to forget the latest fad of replicating entire sectors of popular websites , including western union , paypal , ebay, google, facebook , all are just touching the tip of whats already more then well known , even spoofing the sites URL, but most are just a simple letter off , that without a second or close look , once your on the site , you've been had.

HTML emails which were all getting , spoofing all the above sites and more as well. Things have moved quite quickly lately on data mining and key logging. One mistake and no matter what you do , you've already though you had a simple flicker of a screen and you've entered your information out of your machine to be sold at the highest advertisers bid. In the tens of thousands , or rented.

amen to that....hell these days, if you even download an installer from a mirror site you are at risk for actually downloading a simple batch file that can do wonders on your system (depending on what is scripted in the thing). i've seen systems crash from one simple wrong click while "cleaning out a system"....etc....haha makes you wonder how we arent all infected beyond control...reminds me of our government

Edited by RyanS

I like superantispyware and avast for free. If I was paying it would be Kapersky hands down.

As to windows defender I hardly notice it there.

Slow down? Norton/symantec and McAfee used to be the worst. Norton is like sludge, and not trustworthy. But they did make a great over priced drink coaster.

I've been using http://www.clamwin.com/ which runs in the back ground along with Windows Defender and Superantispyware and have no speed issues or utorrent u/d problems!

Mudmanc4 turned me on to the ClamWin along time ago. I used to use eset NOD32 and I see no difference at all catching the bad crap!

UerTI8N.png

I've used Avast for years. It has caught and stopped numerous viruses, and none have gotten through. Only drawbacks are occasional nag pop-ups (with the free version) and occasional false virus detections running legitimate software. You get around this by adding the affected software to the "do not scan list." Once in a while, Avast will keep a program from installing or running and not give you a virus pop-up. In these rare occasions, it has taken "forever and a day" to figure out that Avast is the culprit and add that program to the list.

i'm going to kind of necro this thread lol.

Coknuck, being that you have experience with windows defender, is it good enough to leave alone after set up? i have avast currently and have used norton, avg, avira, etc. and seem to once in a while need to manually disable and reenable to get the stupid things to do what i want.