Microsoft's Anti-spy Beta broken(already)!

Swimmer

The first piece of malware to attack Microsoft's new prototype anti-spyware product has emerged. The BankAsh-A Trojan disables Microsoft AntiSpyware Beta in an attempt to suppress any warning messages the package might display. It also deletes files within the program's folder. Unlike other items of malware, BankAsh-A makes no attempt to turn off anti-virus apps.

The main function of BankAsh-A is to steal online banking passwords from unsuspecting Windows users. The Trojan targets users of UK online banks such as Barclays, Cahoot, Halifax, HSBC, Lloyds TSB, Nationwide, NatWest, and Smile. The malware records passwords and keystrokes once users of infected machines visit targeted websites. This data is then surreptitiously transmitted to crooks, allowing fraudsters to later empty bank accounts. Rather than spreading under its own steam, BankAsh-A needs by distributed by either spam emails or by loading it onto a maliciously constructed website. Anti-virus firms say they've received a handful of reports of the Trojan.

The use of malicious code and phishing scams in frauds cost banks an estimated

I have mcafee virus scan and mcafee firewall, both on line services automatic updates. I also have spyblaster, ad aware, spybot, and the beta version of microsofts spyware program ( which is really giant spyware scanner microsoft bought the company out). Now when i downloaded the beta version it found 3 spyware programs that adaware, and spybot missed. So you have to have more then 1 spyware scanning program, and there all free, but have to remember to update dat files regularly. I check all 3 everyday except the microsoft 1 because that has automatic updates. ;)

I have mcafee virus scan and mcafee firewall, both on line services automatic updates. I also have spyblaster, ad aware, spybot, and the beta version of microsofts spyware program ( which is really giant spyware scanner microsoft bought the company out). Now when i downloaded the beta version it found 3 spyware programs that adaware, and spybot missed. So you have to have more then 1 spyware scanning program, and there all free, but have to remember to update dat files regularly. I check all 3 everyday except the microsoft 1 because that has automatic updates. ;)

You can take off spyblaster, ad aware, spybot --- your just eating up resources by redundantly checking files.  Just have Microsoft Antispyware - have it set to update itself and scan itself every night. --- I additionally have set on mine; under 'tools' / 'spyware scan' / 'manage spyware scan schedule'  - automatic removal and quarantine of everything, this way you just completely don't have to deal with it.

Just IMO

So you have to have more then 1 spyware scanning program, and there all free, but have to remember to update dat files regularly. I check all 3 everyday except the microsoft 1 because that has automatic updates. Wink

I heard that MS is going to charge 5.99 per month for the new service.. I read that on slashdot.org.. I will see if i can find the post again.. 

:( I stopped using McAffee because it decreased my speed by 1000Kbps even with a format and new install I could not fix the problem and Tech support from McAffee was not helpful at all.... a comment was made 2me whats more important speed or safety.... WTF....I now use AVG (which is free) and I have no speed loss I even removed McAffee firewall although it wasnt slowing down my system speed.... So ya dont always get what ya pay 4.... :(

:cool:  Microwave

I doubt they'd charge monthly fee. Not bill gates style. Mabey a  buy thing . Mabey included in next upgrade. The beta version expires july 31st, 05  Arrow Shocked

Microsoft to Buy Anti-Virus Software Firm

Email this Story

Feb 8, 1:21 PM (ET)

By ALLISON LINN

SEATTLE (AP) - Microsoft Corp. (MSFT) said Tuesday that it plans to acquire Sybari Software Inc., which makes programs designed to protect business computer networks from viruses, worms and other threats.

Terms of the deal, the latest in a series of security-related purchases by Microsoft, were not disclosed. Sybari is privately held but filed papers last year for an initial public stock offering.

Redmond-based Microsoft is gearing up to release a set of antivirus software products that will compete with offerings from companies such as Symantec Corp. (SYMC) and McAfee Inc. (MFE)

The Sybari acquisition will produce Microsoft's first official separate paid antivirus offering, said Mike Nash, corporate vice president of Microsoft's Security Business and Technology Unit.

Sybari has about 10,000 clients and is based in East Northport, N.Y. Its software scans businesses' e-mail to try to ward off attacks.

Nash said Microsoft would make the Sybari-based product, geared toward business customers, available under the Microsoft brand soon after the deal closes.

Microsoft has not yet said how much the new product will cost.

In an interview, Nash said Microsoft would subsequently release other products, for both consumers and business users, aimed at protecting computer desktops from Internet-based attacks. He could not yet say exactly when those would be released, however.

Sybari is just the latest company Microsoft has bought so it can make its own security products.

It purchased a Romanian antivirus firm, GeCAD Software Srl., for an undisclosed amount in 2003. Then, in December, it bought Giant Company Software Inc., which makes tools to remove spyware, software that monitors a person's computer habits, slows down computers, triggers pop-up ads and worse.

Earlier this year, Microsoft began offering free programs to remove viruses and spyware. It plans to eventually charge for more sophisticated antivirus tools, and it has said it may one day charge for spyware removal products as well.

The moves all come amid a continued onslaught of attacks against Microsoft's dominant Windows operating system and other products. As the attacks tangle up businesses and harm consumers, the company has made bolstering security a priority.

Microsoft shares were up 10 cents to $26.26 in midday trading Tuesday on the Nasdaq Stock Market.

Symantec shares were down 92 cents or 3.9 percent to $22.68, also on the Nasdaq, while shares in McAfee were down $1.41 or 5.4 percent to $24.55 in midday trading on the New York Stock Exchange.

So they are thinking about charging.. whether they do or not is another story..

http://apnews.excite.com/article/20050208/D884G68G0.html