ram

rhapsodyfan

hi everyone

i just got a new computer its got a AMD Athalon 64X2 Dual Core 4000 and it came with 1 GIG of ram.

i was wondering if i need to put another gig of ram in for 2 gigs? i only use the internet and listen and watch movies on the computer. no gaming and editing  or stuff like that.  take care :smile2:

If you run XP, then upgrading for such a low-use computer is a waste.

Vista will benefit from the extra ram, since it's such a hog.

I would agree, if you have vista go for it. Ram is so cheap now, and its always nice to have a large amount of ram for vista.

I intend to add another gig to my Vista I just haven't yet.But tweaked Vista isn't as much of a resourse hog.My complaint is the amount of HD space Vista uses just for itself.

For watching movies it depends how you are doing that,If your just watching a prerecorded disc from your DVD drive then no problem with the ram you already have.If your streaming the movie from the internet the your connection speed will be what effects it most.

Yea but with large hard drives so cheap now who really cares. You can get a 500GB drive for around a 100 bucks now.

I guess I care.My reason is the smaller the OS can be & work the faster it is.Less to fragment.

On a fresh reformat my Vista is about11 &1/2 G Right now it is around 15 G.I just like MS using only what it needs.

What would you say if MS had made Vista 500 G ?Even if you had a terabyte HD.

I guess I care.My reason is the smaller the OS can be & work the faster it is.Less to fragment.

On a fresh reformat my Vista is about11 &1/2 G Right now it is around 15 G.I just like MS using only what it needs.

What would you say if MS had made Vista 500 G ?Even if you had a terabyte HD.

Yes but you are talking about a 7 year old OS with xp. of course its going to be smaller and faster. What your forgetting is people said the exact same things about XP as they are vista when it first came out. people complained because the install of XP was about a gigabyte when they were use too 200mb OS installs.

And I don't have to answer that because even if Microsoft wanted to they couldn't make vista 500gb let alone 50gb.

but you have a point, MS puts out more on the install than is needed

They do that so they are ahead of the time. And just because you don't use it doesn't mean that some one doesn't.

They use to not install everything at once but most people hated that because they had to go and install it. If you want it that way use windows 2008 because when you install it you get nothing but a blank OS. You can even choose to not install the GUI if you want.

But I have to say if your not use to stuff being real big, you better get use to it because programs are going to start to get big real fast.  Its going to be real common to see programs at 1GB + real soon

They do that so they are ahead of the time. And just because you don't use it doesn't mean that some one doesn't.

They use to not install everything at once but most people hated that because they had to go and install it. If you want it that way use windows 2008 because when you install it you get nothing but a blank OS. You can even choose to not install the GUI if you want.

But I have to say if your not use to stuff being real big, you better get use to it because programs are going to start to get big real fast.  Its going to be real common to see programs at 1GB + real soon

true...

and i kno that programs are going to get big fast. it used to be 100mb install file. now its like 500mb for stuff. 

and games also, look at flight sim x....over 10 gigs total

but at least over time its worth it.

and if u still have it...

think about the dial up people....  :cry:

A new game is comming out that requires 3 gig of ram. Its assassins creed. While I have 2 gig on a xp setup, I am thinking of jumping up to 5 gig. Thats 2 slots with 2 gig sticks each and 2 slots with 512. I did try assassins creed on my 2 gig dual core and it runs fine. I have a 8600 gt video card as well. Props to the people that suggested that card. At one time I considerd jumpping to the 8800gt, just seems pointless. If the 8600 will run assassins creed and does ok fine with farcry 2, I will just wait will a game comes out I want and my card is unable to run.

I have plenty of HD space & will put in more RAM even if everything runs fine on 1 G of RAM.

If my computer had came witha 1 G stick I would have already installed another 1 G but it came with two 512MB sticks.

How big are is Vista supposed to be on a fresh install?

If anyone has Vista  post how big was it when you first got your computer or bought Vista & installed it or maybe were a beta tester.

How big is XP on a new install?

I have plenty of HD space & will put in more RAM even if everything runs fine on 1 G of RAM.

If my computer had came witha 1 G stick I would have already installed another 1 G but it came with two 512MB sticks.

How big are is Vista supposed to be on a fresh install?

If anyone has Vista  post how big was it when you first got your computer or bought Vista & installed it or maybe were a beta tester.

How big is XP on a new install?

A clean install of vista  for me was around 7.5gb - 8.5gb. A xp install for me is around 1gb.

Ive setup peoples computers right after they have bought them, and the biggest vista install ive seen has been 23gb.

The install of windows 2008 that i'm playing with right now is only 800mb. 

i was wondering if i need to put another gig of ram in for 2 gigs? i only use the internet and listen and watch movies on the computer. no gaming and editing  or stuff like that.  take care :smile2:

If internet is all you do then windows XP is an easy answer, no you don't need another GB ram.  If its vista I would run windows task manager and see your peak mem usage then decide.  EDIT: Then again, if you bought a complete computer it probably came with junk running in the backround and could benefit you to remove those running programs you don't need.