static ip help

Hey guys, I'd like to start by saying I have comcast and they use dynamic ip addresses. Now my question is, can I set my local computers and game consoles to a static ip address outside of my router's address pool? If so, what are the benefits and drawbacks to configuring each machine in my network this way. Also, I am using ddwrt firmware on my router. Can I use the upnp function for static addresses like you can with dynamic ones? Also, if this works with no drawbacks other than manually going in and applying each address in...will my computers get bumped offline for dhcp renew and release? Any info would be a great help. Thanks

Good question there, although I can't answer, I have to ask, why don't you just do some port forwarding, or port triggering instead?

I've messed around a bit w/ internal static IP's , but never really found a use for them, in at least my applications. Other than a printer, and or a local FTP.

I'm looking forward to hearing what else comes up.

EDIT: You have me thinking this may help me w/ my issues. I have too much crap connected. I have a couple of FTP, the one is on a separate domain within the local network, and is unable to connect to the other network router, I'm going to set up a static for the second router and see where that gets me, if thats possible. lol

Good question there, although I can't answer, I have to ask, why don't you just do some port forwarding, or port triggering instead?

I've messed around a bit w/ internal static IP's , but never really found a use for them, in at least my applications. Other than a printer, and or a local FTP.

I'm looking forward to hearing what else comes up.

EDIT: You have me thinking this may help me w/ my issues. I have too much crap connected. I have a couple of FTP, the one is on a separate domain within the local network, and is unable to connect to the other network router, I'm going to set up a static for the second router and see where that gets me, if thats possible. lol

I would use port forwarding but I have two xbox 360s that connect and there are no alternate ports that I can use for my second xbox. If I use port forwarding I can have one box with an open nat and one with intermediate or strict. This is where the upnp service comes in handy for me because it somehow picks alternate ports for the second box and then it gets to have an open nat like the first xbox. I've tried writing down those alternate ports to see if I used the same ports and same tcp and udp settings without upnp and it doesn't work with upnp off for some reason. So my other issue is that I did some research on linksys routers and upnp and it turns out upnp function in these routers is not reliable. So I went with the ddwrt firmware because it is more reliable and responsive. Take for example my ip address changes on my xbox from one day to then next...with ddwrt the router will respond quicker than linksys's firmare normally would. With linksys it would still have the ports open to the old ip address and then my network needs reset. So I got to thinking...if I set an internal static ip to each of my xboxes and it could work in conjunction with upnp I would be golden. I could set one to dmz but it would be lazy and that would leave a hole in my network.

Tested out using a static ip and I got online fine but upnp does in fact stop working when connected to a static ip I assigned. My guess is that since I assigned an address outside of the router's dhcp range it doesn't even know the address has been manually assigned or handed out thus the reason upnp doesn't work with internal static ip address. Tell me what you think of this theory.

What is the theory in setting the IP beyond the devices range?  Once more, how is it possible? Never tried it.

So wait, you said you got online.......hmm. Using the static must have disabled a setting that you may have inadvertently changed, right? Or could you get online before the static?

I don't see where a static would have changed the upnp settings, all that is , is to allow programs to change router settings, ie: a game, or a network utility program you might use.