looking to buy a new laptop

Ryan314

Okay so college is approaching... and I'm thinking about getting a laptop.

Now I know my best bet would be to order it online... but my moms gonna pay and her rules are that we gotta buy it in the store.

So i would appreciate it if you guys could pick out some decent laptops for me to look into preferably on like bestbuy.com or circuitcity.com

whatever major stores you can think of.

I'm looking to spend about 700-800

Thanks in advance everyoneee!!

Do not get a notebook till you know what your major is going to be and what school you are going to be going to.

If you do know, give them a call and ask what they suggest you get. Most are going to suggest you get a mac. And you will have to raise your price a bit.

Do you know what school you are going to?

lol its a community college, the laptop isnt going to be for anything majorrr. Just convenient to write essays and other things. Cant forget browsing and stuff at home. Basically an average laptop.

I would LOVE to get a mac... but the price is a major issue.

It's well worth it, and you'll wish you did if you don't.

Just explain that your ready to get serious, and you'll stand up to your word, be true to yourself, and allow the machine to help you help yourself.

Price is an issue to all of us, But you can't go wrong w/ a mac, you just can't. you want your computer to be as reliable as you are don't you?

Well I can't argue with that.

My first choice would be a macbook. But if you can't because of the price. go with this gateway:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8651069&productCategoryId=abcat0502003&type=product&tab=2&id=1195599779501#productdetail

Its a really good notebook for the price, and should help you out with those things you call essays

If you worked and filed taxes you should get that refund in may. Maybe you could use a bit of that to ad to what mom has to offer and get a mac? 

Or maybe if mom knew you were getting much more bang for the buck with a mac she may be willing to fudge that amount a bit. Not sure. Just a couple of ideas.

If you worked and filed taxes you should get that refund in may. Maybe you could use a bit of that to ad to what mom has to offer and get a mac? 

Or maybe if mom knew you were getting much more bang for the buck with a mac she may be willing to fudge that amount a bit. Not sure. Just a couple of ideas.

Thats another way of getting a mac. If you look at there refurbished store too you can get them for much less. Right now they have the top end white macbook for $949 http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore.woa/wa/RSLID?mco=MTE3NjY&nclm=CertifiedMac

And there refurbished computers are no different then a new one. 90% of the time they are unopened returns or previous gen. computers that where never used.

Most are going to suggest you get a mac.

thats just stupid

no college at a university is gonna tell u to get a mac unless it deal directly with graphic design, and if they do tell u to get a mac for anything else then it probably isn't that important to get a mac anyway. I go to syracuse university and i just checked what they recommend.

Business school - pc

communications - mac or pc depending on major

architecture - either, prefer pc

arts and sciences - either

engineering - pc

human services/ health - pc

law school - pc

information studies - pc

art and design - mac

drama - pc

music - either

environmental science - pc

landscape architecture - pc

What type of major are u going into? Unless you are sure you are going into something dealing with graphic design, i would just go on and get a pc.

If u just want a mac there is a 13" for $1,099 but i would suggest anyone getting a laptop as a main computer get at least a 14". If you have a desktop too a 13" wouldn't be that bad since you could use ur desktop and not always have a small screen. Also that mac is expensive for what u get. You could get better specs in a 15" from any other manufacture with better specs for the same price. Yeah the mac would have better build quality, but for that you could just get a dell latitude or IBM in which the price would go up anyway. Don't go for that $700 mac. I just ordered my sister who is also going to college next year a dell with 2GB ram, core 2 duo 5450(1.6GHz), webcam, 120GB hard drive, integrated graphics for $700. I just don't think macs are worth thinking about getting unless you have about $1600 to spend, if so they are an excellent option arguably the best in the laptop realm.

Oh and something else is that there is still 5 months till next school year and a lot of things will have changed so u could get more for ur money so u may want to think about waiting.

if you get a dell though, why not a dell vostro 1500?

but for that you could just get a dell latitude or IBM in which the price would go up anyway. Don't go for that $700 mac. I just ordered my sister who is also going to college next year a dell with 2GB ram, core 2 duo 5450(1.6GHz), webcam, 120GB hard drive, integrated graphics for $700.

edit here is a rough draft

Intel

thats just stupid

no college at a university is gonna tell u to get a mac unless it deal directly with graphic design, and if they do tell u to get a mac for anything else then it probably isn't that important to get a mac anyway. I go to syracuse university and i just checked what they recommend.

Thats not true. Macs are not just used for graphic design any more. Mac's are preferred at a good amount of schools now, and that is how they are now the #1 laptop supplier to universities http://www.macrumors.com/2008/03/03/apple-is-number-one-laptop-supplier-in-higher-education/

There are at least 2 schools now that are giving macbooks to new students now

And I would stay away from Dell. There consumer stuff really sucks lately. But if you get a business notebook then you are ok.

Thats not true. Macs are not just used for graphic design any more. Mac's are preferred at a good amount of schools now, and that is how they are now the #1 laptop supplier to universities http://www.macrumors.com/2008/03/03/apple-is-number-one-laptop-supplier-in-higher-education/

There are at least 2 schools now that are giving macbooks to new students now

And I would stay away from Dell. There consumer stuff really sucks lately. But if you get a business notebook then you are ok.

my girlfriends high school gives them a macbook to take home and keep for the entire year.

and dell vostro is a small business notebook i think and i've only heard good about it.  i want one myself. with the 8600GT

my girlfriends high school gives them a macbook to take home and keep for the entire year.

and dell vostro is a small business notebook i think and i've only heard good about it.  i want one myself. with the 8600GT

Damn I wish I could have gone too that high school...

The vostro is a good notebook. The inspiron is really bad, even those they are from the same basic design the inspiron is far lower quality.

Damn I wish I could have gone too that high school...

The vostro is a good notebook. The inspiron is really bad, even those they are from the same basic design the inspiron is far lower quality.

Yeh her high school is nice...they just built a new one so...

but yeah, isnt the vostro like an updated inspiron...i mean like its much more solid than the inspiron and like u said, same basic design.

do the math. lets say that 25% of the supply is HP 25% dell, and 24% ibm. Then 26% mc. Thats still 74%pc. I wouldn't trust info coming off a mac "rumor" site that hasn't actually been verified with statistics. I've honestly never seen schools give kids pc's i have an older sister in college and a brother who was recently in college and both schools gave out what i think were hp laptops. 2 schools out of the hundreds (thousands?) is nothing. It is possible tho i wouldn't kno. But i do kno it was recently reported that 25% of students at my school use macbooks.