Average Broadband Speed By End of 2008?

dlewis23

What do you think the Average Broadband Speed will be by the End of 2008?  

16 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think the Average Broadband Speed will be by the End of 2008?

• 10 - 20 mbps
    • 20 - 30 mbps
    • 30 - 40 mbps
    • 40 - 50 mbps
    • Higher then 50 mbps
    • Same As Current

So right now according to a few reports. The average US broadband speed is about 4.8mbps. With all the things comcast is doing with DOCSIS 3.0, verizon with FIOS, and AT&T with Uverse. What do you think the average US broadband speed will be by the end of 2008? 

I voted 10+, (and thats a streach) because of the price they will be charging, if they even get things up before the year ends, as well as the old lines, and servers they have in place. I don't see any real average speed increases going up significantly before 2011. Hell, it'll take  that long before they  upgrade everyone utilize the current 2.0.

Well it doesn't matter to me. The only service I can get near me is RoadRunner which has been being crap. Plus I hear RoadRunner is switching their pricing to by the usage instead of just a flat price. I really hope Verizon comes in my area like they said they were 3 years ago :cry2: I want FIOS!!

I think that the way most internet connections were year say 5 years ago compared to know is pretty shocking. Things will get faster and cheeper. I live in a small town in the midwest. Im getting 8, and it was only 4 or 5 a couple of years ago. Seems while everything else is going up cell phones and internet connections continue to drop.

For me. I pay 100 bucks a month, that gets me my internet and cable t.v. and 1 movie channel. My net is 45 a month and cable is 55 with a movie channel. Really not bad. Gas is through the roof and money is tight for everyone, So I like so many others use the net and cable to provide some of my entertanment.

I say 10 - 20 mbps will be the average by the end of 2008, because I think that the ISP's are finally starting to get it, and they are realizing that consumers what faster speeds, and so do website developers.

And with bandwidth getting so cheap they can do it with out it bankrupting them. I can get 1TB of bandwidth for $100 imagine what they can get it for.

With Comcast doing docsis 3.0, verizon with fios and AT&T with VDSL, I don't really see a reason why most people can't have a really decent speed connection by the end of the year. All it will take is the ISP's wanting to do it.

Verizon and Comcast seem to want to do it. I'm sure about AT&T they seem too still be stuck on there "our 1.5 mbps is really fast, you don't need anything faster"

I would say that there should be a some regulation here to get improvements, but I'd just get slammed for saying it....

Why do I say that?  Look at what the City of Wilson, NC did when they got fed up with their private providers...

http://wilsonfiber.wordpress.com/

Our City of Greenville did the samething with Utilities.  They created a city run company called Greenville Utitilites Commission.  Which is all about service, and not about making money...

I would say that there should be a some regulation here to get improvements, but I'd just get slammed for saying it....

Why do I say that?  Look at what the City of Wilson, NC did when they got fed up with their private providers...

http://wilsonfiber.wordpress.com/

Our City of Greenville did the samething with Utilities.  They created a city run company called Greenville Utitilites Commission.  Which is all about service, and not about making money...

I'm all for that. I think that needs too happen a lot more. The local city governments need to come in and take over a lot more and show the big companies that they can't push  the consumer around cough. cough. FPL....

Also to improve the speed of broadband the FCC needs to bump up what they determine "broadband" is. The other day they did bump it from 200kbps to 768kbps so anyone with a connection under 768kbps can't call it broadband.

Its a good start. I would have made it 1.5 mbps to start. Tho I say they should make it Expandable, so say every 6 months that number increases by 512kbps or something. This would really keep the ISP on there feet, and get us some real fast internet.

Its a good start. I would have made it 1.5 mbps to start. Tho I say they should make it Expandable, so say every 6 months that number increases by 512kbps or something. This would really keep the ISP on there feet, and get us some real fast internet.

My only fear of that, is that the ISP's would pass the cost on to the consumer by raising the prices of each standard package.  We need broadband expansion, especially for those in rural, or low pop areas that ISP's won't front the cost to expand to.  Hopefully, the 700Mhz frequencies will be used to provide said services....