Brand new HN7000S

tm24ns58

I just upgraded to the HN7000S from my DW6000. I have 2 computers hookup to it through a hub. My Vista computer is fine. However the XP computer will not find the correct IP address. How do I get my XP machine back online?

Also on the Vista computer my windows mail will not work. Is it possible this issue is related to the HN7000S?

Okay, I am totally open to suggestions. Hughesnet has told me to do 2-3 speed test in each of the following times, morning, afternoon, and evening. I have to do them for 2 or 3 days. Then I suppose I will be offered to switch to a different transponder. I want to avoid that. What can I do now to increase my speed?

Come on my fellow members. I know we can do something to increase my speed without going through the hoops that hughesnet suggest.

Okay, I am totally open to suggestions. Hughesnet has told me to do 2-3 speed test in each of the following times, morning, afternoon, and evening. I have to do them for 2 or 3 days. Then I suppose I will be offered to switch to a different transponder. I want to avoid that. What can I do now to increase my speed?

Come on my fellow members. I know we can do something to increase my speed without going through the hoops that hughesnet suggest.

Did you read this;

tm24ns58,

It would be likely to say you may need to tweak the system (dish alignment) for the new modem especially if you changed transponders. I don't remember Hughes telling anyone about this since there is really no way of knowing until after the upgrade but I do remember some having realignments after upgrades. Also sometimes it may take a day or two for the system to stabilize, it does some self adjusting.

This is the only way I know to improve your speeds after modem upgrage. It would be like changing steering parts on your car, you then do an alignment. I had to realign when I went from the 4000 to the DW7000.

test from the "download test"

:::.. Download Stats ..:::

Download Connection is:: 1010 Kbps about 1 Mbps (tested with 2992 kB)

Download Speed is:: 123 kB/s

Tested From:: https://testmy.net/ (Main)

Test Time:: 2008/03/27 - 11:08am

Bottom Line:: 18X faster than 56K 1MB Download in 8.33 sec

Tested from a 2992 kB file and took 24.258 seconds to complete

Download Diagnosis:: Looks Great : 3.48 % faster than the average for host (direcpc.com)

D-Validation Link:: https://testmy.net/stats/id-80I1KOPDC

User Agent:: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.0; en-US; rv:1.8.1.13) Gecko/20080311 Firefox/2.0.0.13 [!]

Well now that is better. Still not what I expected but better. I could live with that speed all the time.

Ping testmy.net

Ping to testmy.net was sucessful. Average 1170ms

Do a tracrt to testmy.net

Not sure how to do a tracrt to testmy.net

Advertised speed max.

I am not sure what the advertised speed is. However I am on the Home Pro plan.

What operating system(s) you are running.

I am running Vista Home Premium. I just did a fresh install as well.

Post all of these, then we'll have something to go by .

Both computers are now connected and working fine.

granpa, I did not change transponders. All I did was un-hook the DW6000 and plug in the HN7000s. It looks like my system my be stabilizing a bit. Here is the latest test.

:::.. testmy.net test results ..:::

Download Connection is:: 1003 Kbps about 1 Mbps (tested with 1013 kB)

Download Speed is:: 122 kB/s

Upload Connection is:: 161 Kbps about 0.2 Mbps (tested with 386 kB)

Upload Speed is:: 20 kB/s

Tested From:: https://testmy.net (Main)

Test Time:: 2008/03/27 - 11:17am

D-Validation Link:: https://testmy.net/stats/id-TJXY1GPA2

U-Validation Link:: https://testmy.net/stats/id-8GQD10I34

User Agent:: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.0; en-US; rv:1.8.1.13) Gecko/20080311 Firefox/2.0.0.13 [!]

Those results I can surely live with. Especially since this test was done at 1:15 EST. Somewhat peak time, I believe.

tm24ns58

Even though you didn't change transponders it would be best to peak out the alignment for the new modem to get the best speeds possible. It is a little time consuming meaning more time involved than your installer may do but I picked up my signal almost 10 points and peaked the cross-pol higher than it was originally.

I have not touched my dish in years now. I suppose a re-alignment would be a good idea. I have no idea how to do it myself and will not even attempt it. So does anyone have a tip on how to get Hughes to do a re-point for me? I do have the insurance on my system, if that means anything.

Hughes would more than likely call in an installer at your expense for whatever the charge would be. I'm not sure if Hughes would bill you directly or not. Many have taken the time to understand the system by reading forums and asking questions and have been able to do their own alignments as I have. From what your saying it may be best to find a local installer and ask if they could peak out your system and get a price up front. You would need to print out your present numbers ( signal & ACP) for reference just before he does anything.

Thanks for the advise grandpa. I will have to see if I can find my installer paperwork and see if I can get in contact with him. I think I will let things settle in for a few more days before I do anything. Here goes another test. Lets see what I get now.................................

Looks like I took a nose dive. This test was done at 5pm EST.

::::::::::.. testmy.net test results ..::::::::::

Download Connection is:: 678 Kbps about 0.68 Mbps (tested with 748 kB)

Download Speed is:: 83 kB/s

Upload Connection is:: 157 Kbps about 0.2 Mbps (tested with 386 kB)

Upload Speed is:: 19 kB/s

Test Time:: 2008/03/27 - 3:01pm

D-Validation Link:: https://testmy.net/stats/id-S3L4MNVGX

U-Validation Link:: https://testmy.net/stats/id-0HTDIBU1O

Here is what the test at Hughesnet shows.

March 27th, 05:03PM - 799/157 kbps

User Agent:: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.0; en-US; rv:1.8.1.13) Gecko/20080311 Firefox/2.0.0.13

Looks like I took a nose dive. This test was done at 5pm EST.

:::::::::::::::::.. testmy.net test results ..:::::::::::::::::

Download Connection is:: 678 Kbps about 0.68 Mbps (tested with 748 kB)

Download Speed is:: 83 kB/s

Upload Connection is:: 157 Kbps about 0.2 Mbps (tested with 386 kB)

Upload Speed is:: 19 kB/s

Test Time:: 2008/03/27 - 3:01pm

D-Validation Link:: https://testmy.net/stats/id-S3L4MNVGX

U-Validation Link:: https://testmy.net/stats/id-0HTDIBU1O

Here is what the test at Hughesnet shows.

March 27th, 05:03PM - 799/157 Kbps

User Agent:: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.0; en-US; rv:1.8.1.13) Gecko/20080311 Firefox/2.0.0.13

If you want to see a more accurate speed test try it at 4 or 5 in the AM. The 5PM time is generally slower because of daily traffic. Traffic slows everyone down but with satellite there seems to be more of an effect to this. If your traveling at 5mph (satellite) and drop 30% from traffic, very noticeable. If your traveling at 50mph (cable, etc) 30% isn't so noticeable.

Ih ad real bad speeds once from misalignment. I did the speed tests and they sent out a relignment personal and it did indeed speed things up and come in clearer a bit during bad weather. And no charge. Becasue I was getting like 200-250 D/L speeds. Just FYI of course. I also made sure I ran many thigns to get it low. I did not want good speeds.

You know, more than one thing at a time running.  :-P

A realignment would be a good idea sence its been about a year. Plan on dishing out 75-100 buck to get it done. A long time ago when i was on the dw4000 system i was moving like once a year and was costing me 75 dollars just to point the damn thing.  I forgot the site i went to learn how the hole system works and all that. If you want to save some cash search around on google its not that hard to repoint it

I have read where it is not supposed to be that hard. I am just scared to do it. I don't want to mess it up and have nothing. Then I have to tell them that. Who knows what kind of hoops they would make me jump through then. I appreciate the advise, actually it have been several years. Most likely 3 or 4 years since my dish has been touched. I have a signal of 58 hitting Horizons1. It was not much better than that when they pointed it.

I have read where it is not supposed to be that hard. I am just scared to do it. I don't want to mess it up and have nothing. Then I have to tell them that. Who knows what kind of hoops they would make me jump through then. I appreciate the advise, actually it have been several years. Most likely 3 or 4 years since my dish has been touched. I have a signal of 58 hitting Horizons1. It was not much better than that when they pointed it.

In order to do it you need to see the signal and cros-pol when your at the dish. I have helped an installer who used a laptop, I have set up a PC next to the dish and finally I got an OPI to use, and that was the easyest.

I did notice when my installer was here he had a instrument to guide him with the install. I don't remember him having a laptop, although he may have. I still have not found my installers info. That is something I must do. I bet I can get a cheaper price if I contact him instead of Hughesnet.

Ah, I have just found it. I have a number written in my notes. I believe it to be the installer cell phone. I am trying to call it now........................Had to leave a message. No idea if it is still the same person with that number. I should know soon though. If not I will have to weasel my way into a re-point for free. heheheeh

I have another question. What do you guys think about tweaking Vista? I am talking about a program such as TCP Optimizer or Cablenut even. Do you use them? If now why? If you do, what program do you use? Do you see results?

From everything I have read tweaks don't seem to help Vista. I really would work the sat system for speed and stability first :whip2: