cpu running when im not doing anything

JH2688

ok, heres whats happening. when i leave the room ill turn of my moniter off, and when i come back and check my task manager it is showing that my cpu has been running

What could my cpu be doing?

On the left is when my moniter is off and im not doing anything, and the right is when i come back. you guys know how it works.

heres some things that are taking the most

spoolsv.exe  18,528k

setpoint.exe 10,528k

svchost.exe 26,320k

explorer.exe 25.220k

rthdcpl.exe 22,928k

only one i know is the setpoint.exe and that is for my mouse and keyboard, other wise i have no idea what anyof then stand for

spoolsv.exe  18,528k

setpoint.exe 10,528k

svchost.exe 26,320k

explorer.exe 25.220k

rthdcpl.exe 22,928k

only one i know is the setpoint.exe and that is for my mouse and keyboard, other wise i have no idea what anyof then stand for

these are system files.. spoolsv.exe is for your printer while svchost.exe is a legit process.

please consider that computers during idle sessions usually runs application. specially xp pro, correct me if I'm wrong, as far as  i know when computer is idle for a specific time it begins to index files for easy and fast searching, it sometimes even check for updates, other softwares do that just like system cleaners.. there are options like "run cleaner when computer is idle for blah blah minutes".

Windows update run in this manner as well. remember that windows update runs in the background and automatically installs the update without needing any confirmation from the user, unless specified..  so it must be this,

the closest guess i have is that probably your computer is indexing files for easy and fast searching or must be downloading/installing windows update... some anti virus program runs test during idle time too and automatically stop when user starts using the pc again. one example i know is AVG.

very good points ianonline  :thumbsup:

By the way have you posted your pic in the post your mug topic yet? We need a few more for the post office poster.  :wink2:

thanks...

hey tommie, thanks for telling me bout the post your mug thread. its amazing. i really took time reading the entire 26 page thread.. laughing and liking the pics posted by people.. if im not mistaken i saw you too. hehe

i just did my share of posting. you can check it out..

but before you do, please make backups of your hard disk. coz  your pc might crash. hehe.

:) thanks..

spoolsv.exe  18,528k

setpoint.exe 10,528k

svchost.exe 26,320k

explorer.exe 25.220k

rthdcpl.exe 22,928k

spoolsv.exe, svchost.exe and explorer.exe are legitimate windows processes and rthdcpl.exe for your realtek soundcard.

is it ok if we request you to post all the other processes running in your PC including those with lower memory usage?

:smiley:

spoolsv.exe  18,528k

setpoint.exe 10,528k

svchost.exe 26,320k

explorer.exe 25.220k

rthdcpl.exe 22,928k

ok, but those are the memory loads, look to the left of that line to see the cpu loads, see who's taking up the most%  @ idle.

The task-manager shot you included seems to be writing to the page file quite a bit.  It is quite possible that when you leave the computer running without doing anything it will go into stand-by or hibernate mode.  I think that your page file then gets written.  That would explain CPU usage as well as the page file usage at the same time.

ohh, its normal to have system idle process at 100 percent. this is actually what we call "cooler"... this is to avoid some serious mess with your CPU.

when you try to run application, a specific cpu percentage will be given to that particular program.. and then the cpu processes it, you need to remember that cpu can get very hot during this time had one that reaches above 70degree celcius, thats why we put some cooling substance plus fan on it.. with system idle process running, it from time to time  give the cpu a particular moment to rest for it to cool down.  it does not actually USES the cpu even if it says 99 percent but instead it stops (not literally) a part of  the cpu for it to cool down a bit...

Sys. Idle Process wants to tell the cpu "Have a break"

that makes some sense. but why does it not show it when i leave my monitor on. i just tested that just now. I left my monitor on and left for a while and when i came back it showed nothing. It probably only does it when the screen is off, than the CPU says he's not here so we better do system idle like you said.

that makes some sense. but why does it not show it when i leave my monitor on. i just tested that just now. I left my monitor on and left for a while and when i came back it showed nothing. It probably only does it when the screen is off, than the CPU says he's not here so we better do system idle like you said.

haha, your funny..

it must be because there were no updates for the meantime, or maybe it only conducts that particular process once a month (depending), so try it a bit more and see if it runs again, a test is never done only once.. test is a process... so do and do until you are satisfied...

i think you should worry less unless you see popping adds with naked women holding something or worst a naked guy while your family is behind you all eyes on your monitor (geez you have to do a lot of explaining).. or you just recently saw an online purchase on your credit card bill which you don't know about..

anyways, observe it a bit more and report again, were here to help. :)