Cox New Orleans Speed Increase

JasonPC

• 4 weeks later...

JasonPC,

I am in Vegas I have the Premier tier, 10,000,000 bps down and 1,000 bps up.  How can you measure your speeds with power-boost obscuring all speed testing... 

Cox speed test: http://test.lvcm.com/

Download  30,771,024 bps

Upload  1,103,800 bp

DSL Reports:www.dslreports.com/archive?zip=89120&dnsdom=&start=Search

or Pic

www.dslreports.com/im/50051458/34304.png"

testmy.net:

Download Connection is:: 22731 Kbps about 22.73 Mbps (tested with 25600

kB)

Download Speed is:: 2775 kB/s

Upload Connection is:: 906 Kbps about 0.9 Mbp/s (tested with 1496 kB)

Upload Speed is:: 111 kB/s

Tested From:: https://testmy.net (Main)

Test Time:: 2008/04/30 - 6:51am

D-Validation Link:: https://testmy.net/stats/id-89E6VWACM

U-Validation Link:: https://testmy.net/stats/id-8NTEQ2IAH

User Agent:: Mozilla/5.0 (compatible; Konqueror/3.5; Linux 2.6.22-1-

mepis64-smp) KHTML/3.5.8 (like Gecko) (Debian package

4:3.5.8.dfsg.1-4mepis1) [!]

Or pic

www.testmy.net/share2-89E6VWACM&dual=yes&q2=8NTEQ2IA

Large differences in the Internet connection speed testing...  Before speed-boost Cox testing and DSLreports were almost the same.  After speed-boost a great discrepancy started occurring between the two testing sites.  However it I use a stopwatch and do a large download via newsgroups or ftp, I am averaging about 7 Mbps. 

JR the postman

You just have to find a fast enough server with a big enough file so that powerboost wears off after a while. It's not something easy to find really. But the cox website says premier is now 20 mbit down and faster with speedboost, which is fairly consistent with what I've seen. Typically on good servers downloads can start off as fast as nearly 3 megabytes/sec and usually level off around 2.5 after powerboost is finished kicking in.

That is twice the speed being offered in this market... 

But slower than most any Euro location, as the FCC allows Americans to be sold slower speeds at twice the price... 

But with the fall of the US dollar against other currencies our pricing is getting closer to what others are paying for the faster high speed Internet service.  Most developed countries are getting an annual price reduction and increase in speeds.  Seems in the US, we are getting an occasional speed increase, and an annual price increase... 

Maybe in the near future America will get lucky and have the cable industry deregulated.  Separating the cable line company from the entertainment, Internet , and cable phone suppliers, the outrageous bundling nonsense will disappear.  Prices for entertainment & Internet service will come down with competition, and that will be a good consumer benefit of deregulation.

JR

• 3 weeks later...

Ummm haha nice one. My neighborhood is fairly densely populated as are many. The speed increases are the result of network upgrades, not because there aren't a lot of people. I believe there was a statement that eventually other areas will have the same speed increase after their infrastructure is upgraded.

Well I guess maybe the Hurricane did provide a new oppertinity to redo their infrastructures since some of it had to rebuilt

Man I had a weird dream last night that I was in New orlans when the Hurricane Hit

it was an amazing dream

Im a adrenaline Junkie

I would give anything if i could have been there

and yes i been in 3 hurricanes

including Andrew as an Infant

My one regret in life is spending a lot of money in concerts That August and not being able to drive out to it when the Hurricane Hit It