Primary and logical and extend partitions.....

ninjageek

I finally broke down and bought some new harddrives. I have to dual 250 gig sygates. Which for me is tons plenty. I will partion both. I have googled and looked and stuff and for whaever reason its just not reaching through to me.

The primary is a partion you can boot off from??

The Logical??  Clueless

Extended?? Guessing would be a partion for just files??

I am a note junkie and keep lots of info incase I forget sutff. Its all organized and makes sense to me. I have nothing note wise on partions, So whoever explains it will be forever in my notes. I copy and paste into a notepad, Title the notepad so I know what it is. And whosh.......into my archive you go. Now don't you just feel special........ :haha:

I use <a href=http://download.tuxfamily.org/gpartedlive/>Gparted</a> to do all windows partitioning, I believe they have help files as well.  It's more or less self explanatory, you can do basics, or advanced partitioning as well. This is a live cd, boot from the cd, and off you go. The utility will let you know when you have made a mistake. Pretty much. lol

EDIT: <a href="http://gparted.sourceforge.net>Here's</a> the main page

Sorry diehard. I have seen some geeked out long winded explinations in my day but that takes the cake. I fell asleep after the first 4 sentences. Its so poorley written, I have to wonder how this guy stayed awake and understood even what he was trying to say. Goodness. I mean no offense, I thank you for the effort. But that screwy thing just makes no sense.

I finally broke down and bought some new harddrives. I have to dual 250 gig sygates. Which for me is tons plenty. I will partion both. I have googled and looked and stuff and for whaever reason its just not reaching through to me.

The primary is a partion you can boot off from??

The Logical??  Clueless

Extended?? Guessing would be a partion for just files??

I am a note junkie and keep lots of info incase I forget sutff. Its all organized and makes sense to me. I have nothing note wise on partions, So whoever explains it will be forever in my notes. I copy and paste into a notepad, Title the notepad so I know what it is. And whosh.......into my archive you go. Now don't you just feel special........ :haha:

OK certainly not special , just a dumb ass , so what OS are you using ?

if its 98/Me run of the floppy "make a boot disk ", if it's XP you can do it all from CD disk , and windows disk mamagement , if the bios boot screen is showing both hard drives you are home and dry ,if it's Vista , I havent a clue  :lol:

never needed a utility to do either  :shocked:

for XP=http://www.theeldergeek.com/hard_drives_03.htm

for 95/98/Me=http://kb.iu.edu/data/aema.html, lol, fdisk is the key ,

for vista ? i guess the same way as XP ,but can anyone add to this lack of knowlege for  me ????/

If you are partitioning with windows, then you are using windows partitioner, if you want to get more complex, w/o being a genius, then Gparted is the most popular way to get things where you want them.

Primary ~ A partition that is used to start an operating system, although you can use primary partitions that don't contain the operating system.

Extended ~A partition that can be sub-divided into logical drives.

A logical drive is created within an extended partition.

If you really want to understand them, then your in for more than just a quick read, they can get rather extensive, as well as complex. It all depends on what you want to .