need to switch winxp to new comp

XtremeTJ

hey guys,

I just got a new computer without an OS and I've installed windows xp on it. I havent activated it yet because i installed it on one of my other computers. What I want to do is take xp outta that computer and put it in my new one so I don't have to buy xp again. The other one would do fine with win 2000 but I need my new one to have Winxp. I don't really know how to go about doing this. If any of you guys know how to go about doing this it'll really help alot.

Thanks in advance

Troy

uninstall windows xp from one computer and then install windows 2000..  Then you can activate it via the internet.  If you have to call in explain that you uninstalled the os from the other machine and that you are transfiring the licence to the new computer..

uninstall windows xp from one computer and then install windows 2000.. Then you can activate it via the internet. If you have to call in explain that you uninstalled the os from the other machine and that you are transfiring the licence to the new computer..

tried doing that once... microsoft said that i was a criminal and banned the licence number from being used again so i had to buy another copy...

No i dont think so.. Just uninstall Windows XP on the computer.  Then install windows 2000 on that computer.... Take the non os system and install the windows xp and then activate it.. If you have a company built system then installing Windows xp will not work on the other system!!

tried doing that once... microsoft said that i was a criminal and banned the license number from being used again so i had to buy another copy...

:? Well their full of it any license is good for one machine, if you have a puter and it dies your not expected to buy new software unless you want to. I have put the same software on many machines but only one at a time, I also have had to get new numbers from Micro$oft but when I explain what I'm doing I have never had a problem.....may have been some guy that mis-understood what you were doing. Reactivation is necessary when the hardware has drastically changed from the original install, the big problem is if you buy a factory machine and they only give you a restore disk it cant be moved to another machine especially if its a different brand.The reality is you can copy and replace a couple of files to the new machine and it will work fine, I don't do that because (its not legal)I can move my software to any friggen machine I want as long as its only on ONE machine at a time....

8) Microwave

A fellow IT junkie recently informed me that MS is allowing up to 3 separate installs on each program/suite. I don't know about XP as i havent tried this, but I recently installed an already-activated copy of Office XP Professional on 2 totally different boxes & they both registered/activated by MS via internet right after installation completed.

Such generosity, Mr. Gates....... :evil6:

-JxL

A fellow IT junkie recently informed me that MS is allowing up to 3 separate installs on each program/suite. I don't know about XP as i havent tried this, but I recently installed an already-activated copy of Office XP Professional on 2 totally different boxes & they both registered/activated by MS via internet right after installation completed.

Such generosity, Mr. Gates....... :evil6:

-JxL

Most copies of Office XP can be used on three machines, it says so on the box 2003 we just bought..............and I'm pretty sure I have seen it on the older versions

8) Microwave