LOL. Does SmartBro and Ubuntu Feisty mix?

Ryutaro

Here's the kwento.

SmartBro works fine when connected to the laptop, since was where it was first configured. Now, I assert to those technicians [?] to set it also to my desktop PC running Wind0ze. Tragically, things began to change when I couldn't get Bro working on teh desktop PC. LOL. I couldn't access the Bro Portal or the Canopy config itself, for that matter. And to think that the two monitors on my systray are lighted up. Wah.

I have decided to change to Ubuntu Feisty. Since I have two hard drives on my CPU, it's just a matter of switching the IDE cable. But then again, Ubuntu was not configured by the technicians [?] when they were here.

Bottomline:

1. How do I fix Bro on my desktop PC running wind0ze?

2. How do I fix Bro on my Ubuntu Feisty?

I'll wait for the replies. LOL. Thanks. And oh, if ever this thread happens to be redundant, please don't hesitate to PM me the link, then delete this thread. :D

welcome to testmy.net @ Ryutaro.

i kinda like your style of posting, the jolly type despite your connection problem. however, TMN rules dictate that we must POST IN ENGLISH ONLY, or at least provide a translation, you have edited it so no worry.  :wink:

anyways, i understand you have two computers running and connected to smartbro. the desktop serves as the server of the laptop, isn't it? smartbro recognizes the lan card in your laptop (the 1st you installed) that's why you cannot access the portal or access the canopy sm.

try to detach your laptop and then configure your lan connection setting it to obtain IP address and dns automatically. i suggest you use a switch or hub to connect both pc's simultaneously without sacrificing your access to the portal and canopy sm.  :smiley:

WHAAAAAT?!!

How... why... graargh. Configure the LAN Connection setting to obtain IP Address and DNS automatically? Neh? OK. I don't get it. You're trying to say that I need to buy a hub so that I wouldn't go for the hassle of switching the RJ11 back and forth between the laptop and the desktop? But wouldn't that compromise my speed?

Suggestion noted. :D And oh, how do you do that configure the LAN [insert tech thingies here]? I really don't get that part. Like.... WHAAAAAT?!

:icon_pale:

• 2 weeks later...

I believe Smart supports any Linux distro. I'm running on Kubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon and didn't have any problem with it. You're right, Smart's installer do not know anything about Linux so I have to let them install the connection through a Windoze pc. There's nothiing complicated setting up with Ubuntu, it's a plug and play thing, even easier than the other OS. II suggest you install router if you want to connect another computer besides your laptop. it's very annoying that you always be redirected to the smart portal everytime you change pcs.

Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy will be out in 2 days. This is the LTS (long term support) version so I'm planning to upgrade as soon as I receive the free CD i pre-ordered. Visit http://shipit.ubuntu.com for a free CD.

here's my speedtest (i believe Gnu/Linux OS is optimized for the internet, no tweaking required)

share2-7I9P631RF

I believe Smart supports any Linux distro. I'm running on Kubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon and didn't have any problem with it. You're right, Smart's installer do not know anything about Linux so I have to let them install the connection through a Windoze pc. There's nothiing complicated setting up with Ubuntu, it's a plug and play thing, even easier than the other OS. II suggest you install router if you want to connect another computer besides your laptop. it's very annoying that you always be redirected to the smart portal everytime you change pcs.

Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy will be out in 2 days. This is the LTS (long term support) version so I'm planning to upgrade as soon as I receive the free CD i pre-ordered. Visit http://shipit.ubuntu.com for a free CD.

here's my speedtest (i believe Gnu/Linux OS is optimized for the internet, no tweaking required)

share2-7I9P631RF

Actually, my connection is faster on Feisty than it was on windows. Too bad i messed up with my disc partitioning so i had to take it down.

Grargh. It just doesn't work. Maybe my connection was already 'accustomed' to my laptop, neh? I really couldn't get it to connect to my Ubuntu. Could someone post details on how to set it up? Maybe change the MAC address? LOL. I dunno. I even tried connecting it to my DSL [Damn Small Linux <50MB] LiveCD, and it still won't connect.

Is it me, or am I doomed not to experience Smart BRO on my Linux distros? :(

*And yeah, I already pre-ordered 8.04. I always see to it that I have a copy of the new versions LOL.

you don't really need special procedures to use your Smart Bro connection in Ubuntu. It's probably the most 'plug-n-play compliant' OS I've used. if you dont have a problem with your LAN card, you should be able to connect easily, even withthe live CD. if you are on a router, try connecting by automatic configuration abd if it doesn;t work, manual configuration is the only way to go. lately i've noticed that the portals' authentication is not responding to the client's request. i believe Smart's '"experts" haven't anything yet to fix that bug. btw, any errors you get from ubuntu? last time i had that same problem with feisty 7.04, it doesnt keep the network configuration, so i have to switched from automatic to manual settings, as mentioned above, then back again to auto. I never had that problem with gutsy 7.10. and plug your network cable before powering up your linux box.

dont worry man, you'll get into it sooner or later. you should get a network connection icon in your panel (taskbar in windows) you can right-click on it and change your configuration. This command shows information about hardware: sudo lshw (that's small L). Notice the configuration line. This area will tell you if there is a driver loaded for your device.  If you do not see a driver listed here then there is not one loaded and assigned to the device and it will not show up in iwconfig output or the nework-admin gui. hope this will help you.