Where have they all gone?

sparky

This site used be swarming with Hughesnet users, but now it seems that SmartBro is the new leader.  I think a lot of people have left Hughes.  The forum of DSLREPORTS has also faded a bit.

I used to be one of you all, but now im on Suddenlink....

well...just get out there in the rest of the forum :) ...we still luv ya even if u have hughesnet actually i think there's more than u know...they just don't post much in this area anymore...maybe it got better?? huh?

I am still waiting on EV-DO, it should be here by June of this Year!!!!!

Things with me have been great! and as for speeds on the old dish, well they have stabilized a little now, they are slow most of the time! lol

I am getting on average about 110 Kb down and 17 Kb up, on a good day my up will go to like 25 Kb, but it still suffers very bad lag and I know nothing can be done with that.

I would like to see the new Japanese Sat that got launched the other month, it should allow 15 Gbit Per Second! that will kill Hughesnet in an instant as it is meant to be covering the world!

15Gbit Hmmmmm........ Donuts

1 sat can't cover the entire world, you would need a series.  15gigabit might be the capacity, but everyone won't be getting those speeds...

Not sure where I got the 15 Gbit...

Here is the CNN post...

[tt] (CNN) -- Japan launched a rocket Saturday carrying a satellite that will test new technology that promises to deliver "super high-speed Internet" service to homes and businesses around the world.

A rocket carrying a super-fast Internet satellite lifts off from its launch pad on the Japanese island of Tanagashima.

The rocket carrying the WINDS satellite -- a joint project of the Japan Aerospace Exploration Agency (JAXA) and Mitsubishi Heavy Industries -- lifted off its pad at 5:55 p.m. (0855 GMT).

If the technology proves successful, subscribers with small dishes will connect to the Internet at speeds many times faster than what is now available over residential cable or DSL services.

The Associated Press said the satellite would offer speeds of up to [glow=red,2,300]1.2 gigabytes per second.[/glow]

The service initially would focus on the Asia-Pacific region close to Japan, a JAXA news release said.

"Among other uses, this will make possible great advances in telemedicine, which will bring high-quality medical treatment to remote areas, and in distance education, connecting students and teachers separated by great distances," JAXA said.

The rocket was launched from Japan's Yoshinobu Launch Complex at the Tanegashima Space Center.[/tt]

I thought I had read that the satellite was only supposed to last a couple of years, while they 'test' the technology. Just like the current spot beam satellites up there. But in 2011...A New and improved one for those pizzed at Wildblue, Xplornet, etc. will be launched.

I think many people on satellite have pretty well given up and have gotten dial up accounts for prime time anyways. But our North American Government Over-Lords think North America has 98% broadband coverage already, so no need for land based upgrades to your home.

Not sure where I got the 15 GBit...

Here is the CNN post...

[tt] (CNN) -- Japan launched a rocket Saturday carrying a satellite that will test new technology that promises to deliver "super high-speed Internet" service to homes and businesses around the world.

A rocket carrying a super-fast Internet satellite lifts off from its launch pad on the Japanese island of Tanagashima.

The rocket carrying the WINDS satellite -- a joint project of the Japan Aerospace Exploration Agency (JAXA) and Mitsubishi Heavy Industries -- lifted off its pad at 5:55 p.m. (0855 GMT).

If the technology proves successful, subscribers with small dishes will connect to the Internet at speeds many times faster than what is now available over residential cable or DSL services.

The Associated Press said the satellite would offer speeds of up to [glow=red,2,300]1.2 gigabytes per second.[/glow]

The service initially would focus on the Asia-Pacific region close to Japan, a JAXA news release said.

"Among other uses, this will make possible great advances in telemedicine, which will bring high-quality medical treatment to remote areas, and in distance education, connecting students and teachers separated by great distances," JAXA said.

The rocket was launched from Japan's Yoshinobu Launch Complex at the Tanegashima Space Center.[/tt]

98%, yeah right.... maybe 98% of New York New York is covered.

Click on my signature and try them out, they stated I have 8 High Speed carriers in my area! LMAO...

Yeah ok, now I see where the Government get their statistics.....

98%, did you know the average speeds for high speed internet is 1.9mbits..... Wow, japan has some 15 mbits or something like that, India probably has 5 times more then what we have.

I had Hughes.net for three years. When Centurytel finally made it's way to my house with DSL I signed up the same night I recieved my email that it was available. I have never looked back. I love it and have not had any problems since with my speed. I can only get 1.5 down and 275 up but it beats the hell out of Hughes.net!!

I had Hughes.net for three years. When Centurytel finally made it's way to my house with DSL I signed up the same night I recieved my email that it was available. I have never looked back. I love it and have not had any problems since with my speed. I can only get 1.5 down and 275 up but it beats the hell out of Hughes.net!!

Damn straight. Welcome to the forum boater50  :grin2: