Upgrading a video card

philp

My fiancee wants to get a better card so she can play some games. Here are the mobo specs: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c00757531&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&product=3340227&lang=en

She's also got a gig of RAM and can upgrade that if necessary.

Not looking for the best there is, but a nice, all-purpose card that isn't too expensive. What do you guys suggest?

My HP computer only had a 350W power supply so I went with low power consuming 8600gt.  The 9600gt is double the price for double the performance - Minimum of a 400 Watt power supply.

Best Gaming Graphics Cards for the Money: April 08

About what is the price range your looking into and what else is the computer used for? 

It'll be best to upgrade the memory to 4GB (2x2GB) based on the price. For $79 for the DDR2 800 , its not as bad this year compared to last when I bought 2x1GB for $95 where it is now $25 after rebate. Best to check around on Newegg for prices.

true....but why would a pretty much non hardcore machine need 4gb of ram?  :wink:    two is enough....maybe 3...or 2.5....either way 4 is pretty much more than will be used in this particular pc.

It'll be best to upgrade the memory to 4GB (2x2GB) based on the price. For $79 for the DDR2 800 , its not as bad this year compared to last when I bought 2x1GB for $95 where it is now $25 after rebate. Best to check around on Newegg for prices.

No. That is not the best bet. Going to 2 gb of ram will make a difference, but there is no reason to go to 4GB of ram.

Just get the 8600GT, and go to 2GB of ram. Nothing more is needed.

I agree. Having 4GB RAM would be nice but I do think it's overkill for this application.

Would the stock power supply be adequate for the 8600GT card? Looking at the replacement parts list, it shows to be a 300 watt unit. I didn't see a wattage requirement for that card listed anywhere.

The box of my evga 8600gt says:

Minimum system requirements

256MB ram

350watt power supply with 22 amps on +12volt rail  (the card take its power off motherboard)

Available 16 channel PCI Express slot

On your motherboard http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c00757531&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&product=3340227&lang=en

It says PCI-E 1x slot, is that alright guys?

I agree. Having 4GB RAM would be nice but I do think it's overkill for this application.

Would the stock power supply be adequate for the 8600GT card? Looking at the replacement parts list, it shows to be a 300 watt unit. I didn't see a wattage requirement for that card listed anywhere.

Find out what the wattage is on the power supply that is in the case. If its higher then 350 watts you will be ok. Even 300 watts you might be ok. anything under 300 watts I would say now.

Also remember there is a MATX power-supply in the case, so you do upgrade it, you can't just go and get any one you want.