Telemarketers get Cell Phone #s TODAY

dnuge

:angry:  starting today 4/16/08 those of us in the U.S.A. will be having our cell phone numbers released to telemarketing companies. you will begin to recieves sales calls. YOU WILL BE CHARGED FOR THESE CALLS by your phone provider. i urge you to call the National DO NOT CALL LIST from your cell phone 888-382-1222 it only takes a minute and will block your phone from recieving telemarketing calls for 5 years.  YOU MUST CALL FROM THE PHONE/PHONES YOU WANT BLOCKED.  while you are at it call from your home phone also. help others and pass this message on to all your friends  it only takes about 20 seconds for the call

The FCC would seem to disagree.

http://www.fcc.gov/cGB/consumerfacts/truthaboutcellphones.html

But the links for making complaints :Good Luck

I recently had AlTel calling me with an automated call to my home phone. They were trying to contact a customer of their's but it was a wrong number.I didn't know this customer.I have no business with Altel so they had no right to call me since I'm on both the National Do Not Call registry & the Texas No call List.

When I had about 25 of these calls each time selecting # 3 which said if this is a wrong number push #3.This did no good.I then called AlTel the first time but refused to give any information about my self I thought that was none of their business.I gave then the name of the customer they were trying to call.That wasn't enough they couldn't even find this customer in their database.That was the lie they told me.Anyway I refused to give them more so they said that was all they could do.So I reported them to the national & state do not call links.Nothing happened.

The second call to Altel I found out the #3 was just a disconnect & they didn't use it as wrong number information.

So I felt like an idiot for pushing #3.

After about another 50 calls I called Altel the third time finally giving my information.Only to be told I needed to call back in an hour to talk to a supervisor.Again having to repeat the information .After being asked if I wasn't the customer they were calling was I another customer.No to both.This did stop the calling.

I asked what about all my time since I wasn't an AlTel customer .They had the attitude it was my problem & I should be grateful for them stopping the calls.I told them I reported them to the DNC lists.They seemed to have the Oh Well attitude like they knew nothing would be done in the way of fines.

I will tell you one thing I will use a couple of cans & a string before I ever become an AlTel customer.

The Truth About Cell Phones And The Do Not Call Registry

The Federal Trade Commission today reiterated that despite the claims made in e-mails circulating on the Internet, consumers should not be concerned that their cell phone numbers will be released to telemarketers in the near future, and that it is not necessary to register cell phone numbers on the National Do Not Call (DNC) Registry to be protected from most telemarketing calls to cell phones.

The truth about cell phones and the DNC Registry is:

* Contrary to the e-mail, cell phone numbers are NOT being released to telemarketers, and you will NOT soon be getting telemarketing calls on your cell phone.

* There is NO deadline by which you must register your cell phone number on the Registry.

* Federal Communications Commission (FCC) regulations prohibit telemarketers from using automated dialers to call cell phone numbers. Automated dialers are standard in the industry, so most telemarketers are barred from calling consumers on their cell phones without their consent.

* The national associations representing telemarketers have stated that their members do not intend to start calling consumers

that's good info coknuck...thanks for clearing that up...i did put my numbers on that list a long time ago...but i was fixing to send out a mass txt to everyone :haha:

btw...that is the number to call if u wanna add ur number to the list...

and i know a couple of kids that work as telemarketers...and if someone says that their number is on the do not call list they have to hang up and add that number to some list in their computer...dun deal...

Coknuck's quote & link were about the same as the one I posted .For some reason it only works when copy & pasted into Google.

and i know a couple of kids that work as telemarketers...and if someone says that their number is on the do not call list they have to hang up and add that number to some list in their computer...dun deal...

That's hard to do with an automated call.If a number is on the Do Not Call registry you shouldn't get the call in the first place.You should not have to tell the telemarketer  you are on the list their system should already have the list & not allow calls.So any call that is not covered under the exemptions is a vioation & should result in a fine.Here's the problem at least for me :When I made the report no action was taken.I waited 2 weeks to see if the report would stop the calls before I took care of it myself.Needless to say reporting it didn't stop the calls.

I will say overall the telemarketing industry does obey the list & I get few telemarketing calls.

In my case just because a company thinks it has a business relationship with a certain number doesn't make it a fact.& should never be an automated call.I wouldn't have a complaint if a real person had called to verify that the number was correct & belonged to the person that gave it to them.This was not the case with AlTel I found them rude.btw this was their bill collections department & this type of department is known for being rude. 

My take on this whole thing is you are getting calls you don't want right?, So they create a don't call list?  :haha: :haha:  ok, wait a second here, by calling this " list" you are putting your number on a LIST  DUH! Information is stole every second of every day, regardless wether or not the so called gov agency is controlling it.   

Look, a couple years agowhen this garbage came up, my better half decided to put our # on the list, we weren't having any issues, she also put my damn cell phone # on it,   damn near from that day, and I mean damn near from that day, I began getting solicitations.

So go ahead make the list that is not only available to the solicitation companies ( otherwise how would they know not to call , duh! ), you think they don't find loopholes in the system, ? like selling the info to companies that are not major players? and arent restricted by this no call list agency?   :haha: :haha:

Enjoy.

Coknuck's quote & link were about the same as the one I posted .For some reason it only works when copy & pasted into Google.. 

ur link doesn't work at all for me...

as for the autodialer thing...the number that they r connected to shows up on their screen if they actually get to talk to them...the lists r not updated daily i'm sure...really who cares...it does help some...i get a lot less sales calls than i used to

i think ur case was totally a wrong number...maybe someone along the way wrote the number down wrong or dictated it wrong...i get calls from sprint for someone i've never heard of...and they insist that i must be them (i even gave them my address and told them to come to my door bring their cell phone and call my number and they could talk to themselves on my phone :haha: that's when those calls stopped)...but i don't have sprint anything and never have...no biggie...for me it's a wrong number click buzz...no need to waste my time reporting anything...they aren't trying to sell me anything they r trying to collect something...which kinda sounds like ur case sequoia...

easier to just click buzz than to spend so much wasted energy fighting with people u don't even know...too much drama...too many drama queens...oh wait!!...i'm a drama queen...hehe

:haha:

After 80 calls from AlTel & I did start by selecting #3 for wrong number on their automated call I considered it harassment.It was the kind of automated call that never got to a real person.If I had been the person whose name was given in the call I think I would have been connected  to a real person.Because after several calls I thought whats the difference I will just press # 1 the selection for I am this person.It then asked for her zip code since I had no idea what that was that was as far as I got with the automated call. So I took the time to make reports.If more people did maybe some fines would be levied on companies.

That is what will make the list work.

mudmanc4 for me the list did stop most telemarketing calls.Sorry it worked the opposite for you.There are few exemptions & small company is not one of them.Charities & polititions are the main 2.Then companies you have a established business relationship with.

I've always wanted to tell them there will be a $4.99 charge for calling my number just like a 900 number does.Afterall they are using a phoneline I pay for to do their business not mine.

btw I don't have any bill collecters calling me at least not over any debts I have.I guess that's why I resent calls from them about a strangers debts.

No drama queening done by me or queening of any kind.

i like when someone calls and a recording says..."we have a very important message for you please hold"...so i wait till the person comes on and i say "i know you have an important message for me please hold" and i lay the phone down :) happened yesterday and it was my doctors office with lab results...give me a real person to start with and i'll tell ya if i can hold on :)

:haha: talk about drama queen...i'll show them drama queen...

btw coknuck i think i know that guy :) jk :)

ur link doesn't work at all for me...

Then here's a .pdf of the web page.

I hate the any term of royalty & find them offensive as an American.Whether done in JEST or serious.This implies a person is superior just by birth.Here's an example:A person who claims to be royal says "Because I am royal I am 6/5's human;because you are white you are 5/5's human;because you are black you are 4/5's human".The claim to be royal is a form of racism.As Americans we should take George Washington's lead he refused to be made king of America.Showing his distain for royalty.

So call me a braying  jackass but not drama queen.I find that far less offensive.

• 4 months later...