Trying to save money on monitor and hdtv

amc11890

basically i want to buy a new hdtv for a xbox 360 or ps3 that i want to buy but i also want to purchase a monitor for my computer.  My question is can i hook up my monitor so that i can be used for my ps3/xbox360 as well as for my computer, atleast be able to switch between the two quickly.  Really im never going to be on the computer and play videogames at the same time.

I want to use the monitor/tv for hd aswell for the ps3/xbox 360

i believe you can. most monitors have a dvi input. So you would need a hdmi to dvi converter if your using a PS3. for the 360 i think the newer one come with a hdmi port, im not sure im a playstation guy. You may have to unplug the console and plug back in your computer. but that shouldnt take to long.

This should work. I havent done it, but i was thinking of trying it sometime also

if you want to be able to switch between them fast with out unplugging anything then your going to want to get a TV that has more then one HDMI input. Some computer monitors can do this too, you can select which input to use in the menu.

But since its going to be HDMI on a computer monitor you can forget about sound. You might be better off getting a real TV and a computer monitor. 

EDIT: if you were to get a LCD tv an try and use it as a computer monitor, its not going to be good because the TV will have a real low resolution of about 1366x768, you could get one at 1920x1080 but your going to pay out the ass for a small one.

if you want to be able to switch between them fast with out unplugging anything then your going to want to get a TV that has more then one HDMI input. Some computer monitors can do this too, you can select which input to use in the menu.

But since its going to be HDMI on a computer monitor you can forget about sound. You might be better off getting a real TV and a computer monitor. 

EDIT: if you were to get a LCD tv an try and use it as a computer monitor, its not going to be good because the TV will have a real low resolution of about 1366x768, you could get one at 1920x1080 but your going to pay out the ass for a small one.

so basically im better off getting a new monitor plus tv?