I still say politicians are full of dog shit if they say we can not get good med

tommie gorman

...ical care with government help.

T.R. Reid is a veteran foreign correspondent for The Washington Post, a commentator for National Public Radio and the author of nine books, including three in Japanese. He is currently working on his 10th book, titled We're Number 37!, in which he compares America's health care system to others around the world. It is scheduled to be published by Penguin Press in early 2009.

How did you choose the five countries featured in this report?

Two of our choices, Britain and Japan, were pretty obvious. I had lived in both countries, I had doctors there and knew the systems. I could speak the language, sort of, in both places.

Beyond that, we were looking for examples of each of the established models of health care systems. The U.K. uses the Beveridge model; Taiwan has chosen the Canadian-style National Health Insurance [NHI] model; Germany, Japan and Switzerland use the Bismarck model. We went to three Bismarck countries on the theory that these private-sector systems are more relevant to America than a British-style National Health Service.

I got interested in Taiwan because Taiwan's Health Ministry did what our film does; it traveled the world studying health care systems. In the end, Taiwan chose the Canadian model. We went to Switzerland because it is a ferociously free-market economy with politically powerful insurance and drug companies. But still, the Swiss managed to revamp their system, making it cheaper and fairer. We thought that might inspire Americans to believe that change is possible here, too.

You and your family lived in London and Tokyo; what was your experience with the health care systems there?

Our American family used the health care systems in Japan and Britain with considerable satisfaction. Fortunately, we never had a heart attack or cancer, but for the normal family medical problems -- flu, measles, broken bones, earache, etc. -- we got excellent care, with little or no waiting. During a trip to South Asia, I contracted a mysterious tropical disease that left me sick as a dog. When I got back to London, our family doctor diagnosed the problem precisely and found a fast cure.

In Japan, the prices were low; in Britain, there was no price at all. There was no bill! I loved that part of British health care.

In Japan my local government, Shibuya-ku -- it's a part of Tokyo -- sent me a card every year on my birthday, urging me to get a comprehensive physical. I could go to any doctor or hospital in Shibuya, and the whole thing was free. When I did it, they checked everything -- and I mean everything -- that a man my age might have to worry about. This was a terrific example of preventive medicine.

More. http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/sickaroundtheworld/etc/notebook.html

Expendishers here.

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/sickaroundtheworld/countries/

That is one thing young folks of today do not think about. Support the military for four years. Walk away with a lifetime somewhat free medical and subsidized education. And  a free world. And it pays too. Plus an opportunity to make up to $200,000 a year. And only 20 years in all to a retirement.

Or go like my uncle and do the four years, then go reserves and give one weekend a month and 2 weeks vacation duty each summer. And get BX prices whiile your in. He loved it as he got away from the family fairly often. It gave him a break. And extra retirement. He does ok now. IN fact he just moved back from Cosa Rico. He loved it, except the distance to a medical facility. So he moved back.

Just some thoughts of course.  :grin2:

I say BS. The US still has the best medical care and medical system in the world.

I would agree, if you have health care and not a HMO, or if you live in a city that has a county hospital.

If you go to other countries that have "free" health care for all, one its not really free someone is paying for it, two, its not the greatest service you have to wait in a line, and three doctors don't like it at all, they can't make any money, which means the quality of health care is very poor when compared to private health care in the US.

There are many up's and down's to government run heath care, but the down's out weigh it all.

Keeping health care private is the way to go. But there needs to be some better government regulation over it. And they shouldn't be allowed to be publicly traded companies.

But either way, if any of the dems. get in office there will never be healthcare for all. they are just going to raise your taxes, and make you get on your knees.

quote "In Japan, the prices were low; in Britain, there was no price at all. There was no bill! I loved that part of British health care."

Hold on Guys, health care is not free in England , anyone working pays a National Insurance contribution out of there wages , this allows the UK to offer  health care to all; including American visitors, working or not, you have the right to the Uk's health care system ,

and something as a Brit I am proud of , but the system is being abused , some of our major London hospitals are now filling up with long term sick Health tourists ,

and quotes from TR. Reid  saying he loved the "free" treatment he and his family got in England , just makes the situation worse ,Me and my fellow Brits paid for it ,

the cost comes out of  the same budget that provides for the latest equipment,

to my mind there ain't no such thing as a free lunch , his gain was somebody else's loss ,

I guess I have rethought it all. I do work for a living and free does bring out the cockroaches to be sure. No different than welfare. And we know who all is on it that does not deserve it. (illegals and others who do not intend to ever work) So with due consideration, I am glad I posted it to get thoughts, but also glad we do not have the free free one. But it sure does need reworked. I hope someone with brains comes along and figures it out soon. Because beng self employed with children sucks for it.

personally I think in a civilized country , it should be everones right to affordable health care , not just the rich , in the UK we do not have the fear of being struck down with a sudden illness ,causing us to loose our home etc.,if it's long term your standard of living will decrease , but the same health care will still be available, and a roof over your head ,

personally I have calculated I have paid into the UK  national insurance scheme around $160,000 USD during my working life , we do also have private health care , but the weekly payments are on top of and not instead of the national scheme,

you will get the same surgeon if needed , but you will get a upgrade on the room ,

all English doctors swear an oath to , To keep the good of the patient as the highest priority., wealth doesn't enter into it , ......nor does your origin , a sick person is just that, sick and needs care ,

pay scale for local UK doctor G/P  $170.000 USD pa.

first year trained nurse  $32,000 +pa.

surgeon $ 250,000  pa ,

but how that scheme would work in America I am not sure ,

so what would happen if I visited America without private health care insurance , and say broke a limb ,

by tripping over a step ( Lol it could happen to me  :evil6:) just curious , as a lot of Brits ask me  that question ?,

They would fix you, and send you a bill.

thanks on that mudmanc, I must remember not to break a leg then , as I can normaly out run most bills ,

or even better brake a leg of an American tourist over here , so we could do a free exchange  mid Atlantic , :lol:

thanks on that mudmanc, I must remember not to break a leg then , as I can normaly out run most bills ,

or even better brake a leg of an American tourist over here , so we could do a free exchange  mid Atlantic , :lol:

I have however heard of people being turned away for treatment, but never a life threatening one, there are stories, but i don't buy it!

I have however heard of people being turned away for treatment, but never a life threatening one, there are stories, but i don't buy it!

They technically can't turn you away from treatment. If you walk into a hospital and something is physically wrong with you, they have help you, they can't turn you away.

The problem with american healthcare is the doctors malpactace insurance. Its horrid. While I agree if a doc screws up then yea he should have to pay. I just don't think he should have to pay a million bucks for every mistake. Americans use lawsuits just like the lottery. Sue the hell out of them hope for a fat settlement check. There needs to be a cap on damages. Many docs are leaving the profession because they are unable to afford the insurance.

Even did see one story a doc put everything in his wifes name and goes without insurance. I am lucky. In my area we have a really nice clinic. Its open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, Last time I had to go it was only 60 bucks. Oh and the wait, there is a sign on the door, if you have to wait more than 20 min, say something. I only waited maybe 10 min. No apointment needed. There is a doc in a town about 2 hours from me, chages 5 bucks a office call. Yes thats right 5 bucks. He is super rich and does not need the money. He does it because he cares. Oh and the clinic I spoke of. If your poor, they charge you nothing. So never be afraid to poke around and ask around. You may have something close to that in your area. I just found out about this and have lived around here for 20 years.

One other thing. If a doc gives you drugs that are just to expensive, you can apply to the company that makes them and most the time they will give them to you for nothing. Nice tax write off for them, good PR. Never be afraid to ask a doctor or even tell them you can not afford it. THere are ways to get the help, just sometimes it can be a bit of a trick to find that help.