What Linux build would you go with?!

CA3LE

I'm wondering what build of Linux would you guys go with for a home system.  As you all know I use Linux for all my servers, testmy.net of course runs off Linux.  But a build that's good for a server isn't nessisarily the best for a home GUI system.  TMN runs off RHE4 btw.

I saw in some other threads here people talking about one specific build that I ended up looking up at their website... it looked really cool and was thinking about using that one but now I've forgotten what it's called, instead of looking through the 1/4 million posts here I figured I'd just ask.  I also figure by asking we would in turn have a thread here that some other people can find later on and end up getting help from.

It's been a couple years since I installed linux on a home box so my question is... what's the latest and greatest out there right now... what are all the kids talking about these days  :-P

Thanks for the help,

-D

I do believe Ubuntu is the hottest distro right now, ( 8.04 or Hardy Heron )  is due out well, the release date is the distro number (4th month of of 08), I v'e been using the beta for several week, the firewall is incomplete, but will be complete by general release. I see " compiz Fusion " being one of the attractions that draws in Linux users, the 3D desktop environment is amazing. Although Mandriva 08 has a more " professional " feel to the GUI, and runs without a hitch for the most part.

The open source apps are mounding up to extraordinary proportions, any application you need or want is out there, and free, there's almost no reason at this point to run a windows OS.

Gaming on windows will become a thing of the past within the next several years.

Fuck Ubuntu. I hate that fucken thing. Everything on it is done in such a noobish way on there.

Go with opensuse (my fav) or centos.

suse 11 is coming out in about 60 days, and it looks really good, from what ive seen so far.  Suse has this sweet thing called YaST which is a kick ass installer and config tool for it. So no more command line installs  :evil6:

out of all of them centos is probably the most stable. I dumped RHEL from all my boxes after the first of the year, and switched to centos and wont look back. Ive had one box for 79 days, and its been up for 78 of them with out a restart. I never did that with rhel

Ubuntu is ok. I traded it in for Mandriva 2008. love it. it works with all the compiz fusion effects on my older acer laptop without a hitch...dual booted with xp media center. and other than that i'd have to reccomend opensuse. its awesome also.  those are the only three i've tried.  :grin:

I like mandriva too. I use it for one of our file servers at work, and I can't complain it works really well.

Well I decided to make the jump. Gonna give lynix a shot and see what happens. I decided to go with a diffrent approach.

I went with a ubuntu based lynix and chose a modified verson of it. The one I went with is "ulitmate edition 1.7"

While I have only been messing with it for a few hours. I Like it. Its based on ubuntu 7.10.  The thing I really like about this type of release is everything is installed for ya. Java, Abode, My nividia drivers. wine.  Has tons of programs preinstalled. Gives me a chance to play around, see what is what. So installing anything is really not necessary.

It simply works well, I have lots of programs to try and see what I like. What I hate. It really is a windows type inviorment, Even found a boot manager that will change the way it boots up. I put xp  by default. For the ol lady and kids. I can mess around and learn how to install stuff.

The programs that came with this was impressive. Really think I made the right choice. Gives me a chance to play with lynix with out the hassles of installing programs, and trying to find drivers, and I can learn at my own pace. In time after I get deeper into the world of lynix and understand it better, I will give a few others a run. opensuse will probally be my next.

I just keep every thing backed up. My d drive id my "try new operating system drive".

Okay, I tried Mandriva and was able to get into the live deal... where you can see the OS without installing it.  But for some reason the install process hangs and fails, I then gave Ubuntu a try and install hung up also, but I didn't try it on my other computer.

What I think I'm going to end up going with is opensuse, my download is about to finish then I'll be giving that a try. 

I'll let you know what I think.

-D

Okay, I tried Mandriva and was able to get into the live deal... where you can see the OS without installing it.  But for some reason the install process hangs and fails, I then gave Ubuntu a try and install hung up also, but I didn't try it on my other computer.

What I think I'm going to end up going with is opensuse, my download is about to finish then I'll be giving that a try. 

I'll let you know what I think.

-D

I gave opensuse a shot. Tried to install it on my slave drive. BIG MISTAKE!! It hosed my setup. When I tried it, it said unable to install because "windows has the drive marked as active ntfs"  WTF?!?!  I just took ubuntu off the slave. I had to reinstall kubuntu to get things right again. Hope they get that fixed in the new version.

opensuse is definitly the best.  Very large community with real support and it shows in the end result of a very clean running linux distro.  ;-)

I've tried them all now.. all the suggestions... and that's my final verdict ;-)  -- can't wait for 11 to come out  :-)

nevermind... suse was buggy for me.. I went back to ubuntu -- well kubuntu --- fuck gnome, KDE all the way.

I can't get Ubuntu Hardy to run consistently, so it has to go.  Mandriva 08 is the most stable distro I have seen yet, next to opensuse 10.

nevermind... suse was buggy for me.. I went back to ubuntu -- well kubuntu --- fuck gnome, KDE all the way.

Buggy? What where you doing to make it buggy?  :haha:

I can't get Ubuntu Hardy to run consistently, so it has to go.  Mandriva 08 is the most stable distro I have seen yet, next to opensuse 10.

Have you tried centOS? In my experience that is the most stable one around.

Thats when you create another partition w/ there manager before install.

I gave it the whole slave drive. I just found opensuse to big a pain in the ass to install, and this coming from someone that has installed everything from windows 98 on up to vista.

Was able to install ubuntu, maddrake and a couple others with out a problem. Kubuntu just up to this point seems ok. Runs fine now.

Just a tip, if you want to back up lynix, ghost 14 works great. I have used it, tried it, and it works fine. Just gotta make sure to hit the option to show hidden systems.  Thats just the fun of lynix. What works well on my setup, may hose yours. Plus I am just gonna follow the adivce of a long time lynix user. Try a few, then stick with one, learn it and in no time your system will be fine. Every "flavor" will have good and bad points. Trick is to set up your box for your own use.  After playing with mandrake a few days, It is a nice system, imho it looks to much like windows. I want lynix on my slave to have a diffrent look and feel to it.

So instead of jumping around, right or wrong, with the help of nortons ghost, I will just learn and understand ubuntu, or I use kubuntu. I love the kde desktop. have played with the new 4.0 kde desktop that came pre installed, not crazy about it, but its still beta, will see how it all plays out.

I am kinda impressed with kubuntu forums. They have helped me tons making the switch from windows to lynix.

Sounds like your hooked, I know Linux has that effect on me, the simplicity of it is astounding once you get to know the commands to really shake it up.

I'm running a live centOS live and it seems to be faster than ubuntu installed, big time ! Thanks D

I'm running a live centOS live and it seems to be faster than ubuntu installed, big time ! Thanks D

NP. I moved my servers over to centOS 5 in january from RHEL and will never go back. Now I just gotta get is off this crappy OS called windows server 2003 here and move to centOS only problem is exchange wont work  :haha: