What Linux build would you go with?!

CA3LE

The never ending question

God here we go again

My 2 primary choices are Fandora & Madrike

Also puppy for when you need to revive a dead pc or have to do something on someone elses pc that you want to remain confidential

Yeah i do too i have it running in my Nintendo pc

http://www.testmy.net/t-19051

I love it

it runs so fast since it is running off ram

i have use it on a 250 mhz systen with 512 mb of ram and it surf the web alright

I'm having a bit of trouble w/ the USB installation. I can install it, but incorrectly. I haven't found a way to format the usb to journaled yet, Gparted wont allow it.

EDIT , I'm setting the partition to ext2 -boot , see what happens

Put Mandriva on my new notebook,but it a little buggy,so I am now going to download Kubuntu and try it out. Is there any advanage going with the 64-bit version or should I stay with the 32-bit version.

Fuck Ubuntu. I hate that fucken thing. Everything on it is done in such a noobish way on there.

Go with opensuse (my fav) or centos.

suse 11 is coming out in about 60 days, and it looks really good, from what ive seen so far.  Suse has this sweet thing called YaST which is a kick ass installer and config tool for it. So no more command line installs  :evil6:

out of all of them centos is probably the most stable. I dumped RHEL from all my boxes after the first of the year, and switched to centos and wont look back. Ive had one box for 79 days, and its been up for 78 of them with out a restart. I never did that with rhel

i dont even have it an say Ubuntu, because its the cool thing

mind the language BOY :P

Put Mandriva on my new notebook,but it a little buggy,so I am now going to download Kubuntu and try it out. Is there any advanage going with the 64-bit version or should I stay with the 32-bit version.

I would stay with the 32 bit. Seems the 64 bit has problems with some software just like xp. I would surff the kubuntu forums and see what problems they are having. I am almost sure they have a special forum over there just for the 64 bit. I almost put it on til I saw the issues the 64 bit had. Just decided to stay with the 32 bit. Sadly the pc world both windows and lynux are just not ready for 64 bit. Just my 2 cents

I would stay with the 32 bit. Seems the 64 bit has problems with some software just like xp. I would surff the kubuntu forums and see what problems they are having. I am almost sure they have a special forum over there just for the 64 bit. I almost put it on til I saw the issues the 64 bit had. Just decided to stay with the 32 bit. Sadly the pc world both windows and lynux are just not ready for 64 bit. Just my 2 cents

Thanks for the reply. I am still using Mandriva. The bug I was getting in Firefox has disappeared. I am now trying to figure out how to get my Broadcom wireless to work.

NDIS Wrapper , or the broadcom one , depending on your card.

ndiswrapper is not working for me. I keep getting a error.  [unable to find the diswrapper interface ] I have it check off in the software management, is there something else I have to do.

What do you mean by another module.

You tried to install a different driver for the wireless , and did'nt uninstall it.  When I was doing this, I realized that you have to be very careful, you must know the correct one you need, and do it on a new installation, or things happen that prevent the wireless from working correctly.

You tried to install a different driver for the wireless , and did'nt uninstall it.  When I was doing this, I realized that you have to be very careful, you must know the correct one you need, and do it on a new installation, or things happen that prevent the wireless from working correctly.

OK I understand now. That is most likely what I did.    So I am getting ready to do a fresh install of Mandriva.

You should make sure you know which one you need before doing anything.  It is getting easier, but still, it can be a tough one. I have a PPC ver. of hardy , and I still can't find the right one lol. It has the broadcom in it, and there's a couple dozen or more that may work :roll:  Haven't put to much time into it, just to busy I guess.

linux...linix...lynix...lynux...linx...lynx...linnus...lynnus...linnis...lynnis...lynnix...lynnux...linnix...linnux

k...so what is the propper spelling for this???...i've see so many...few versions right here in this topic...so i think we should at least all get the spelling agreed upon before we can decide which system is best...hmmmm??

i vote for the first one i posted...that's my fav :) ...okay i admit it i picked that one cuz that's the way ca3le spelled it and i believe him :haha:

linux...linix...lynix...lynux...linx...lynx...linnus...lynnus...linnis...lynnis...lynnix...lynnux...linnix...linnux

k...so what is the propper spelling for this???...i've see so many...few versions right here in this topic...so i think we should at least all get the spelling agreed upon before we can decide which system is best...hmmmm??

i vote for the first one i posted...that's my fav :)

Its Linux. There is only one real way too say it.

And CentOS is the best....  :grin:

Sadly its true we are capable of 128 bit processing but it would be easier to see 10 cores in one chip than 128 bit processing