For those of you that dont already have it, GET IT!

anox195

Recently I invested in a dual boot scenario, via Windows XP Pro and Ubuntu's New Release of 8.04 Gusty Heron or something of that nature.

But I tell you this 64bit/opensource software flys...I have never seen a comp this fast, my video card now has 64bit drivers and has improved fps dramatically. Played wow a few times to test it and its purely amazing, better performance than XP. Not to mention my testmy speeds, pings, tracerts have all dramatically improved, and I have no tweaks (etc. cablenut). I thought application hang was normal, apparently in windows and mac it is, I have yet to see an app hang. Not to mention the install was cake, and I didn't have to search aimlessly for drivers this dist package.

If your looking into it, I personally love the switch, soon Ill be formating my windows partition to make moar room! RAWR!  :grin:

Let me know what you guys think, or if you have any questions, feel free.

Please post your system specs.

And on the tweaking on linux, you can only get so far.

:icon_salut: Hows it going frost? I had some spare change around xmas time and bought myself a present for about $320 shipping included from newegg. Ended up being about $260ish after sending and receiving all rebates. For that change I was fortunate enough to get:

250GB 3GB/s sata

Allendale 1.8GHz (stock) Core 2 Duo, OC'd to 2.25GHz

2gb kingston ram (667)

550 watt psu 4 12v rails

2x ATI Radeon x1650 256mb, crossfire

evga mobo, 1066 fsb, hd  audio...etc.

Your average pc, but it SCREAMS on linux. :buck2:

Granted i don't play WoW, but application hang? I'm running leopard and i personally have not experienced  the " hang " you speak of.  I also have a iBook G4 that is running the beta 8.04 Herron PPC version, runs flawlessly as you say.

Nothing hangs on leopard. Except fucken parallels when windows is started  :tickedoff: at least fusion works good  :grin:

I haven't tried parallels, is it worth it?

It was.....

there latest build's have been pretty bad in the performance area. Ive totally just switched to vmware fusion for now till parallels gets some things fixed.

Besides that i'm none too happy with them right now anyway. They keep buying up these good web site software makers one right after another. it seems like now everyone you go to is not called parallels (insert product name) if they buy cpanel i'm really going to be pissed.  :knuppel2:

Got a link for more info??  I just installed the latest greatest kubuntu, Im running 2 gig of ram under a dual core atholon 4200. Up to this point super impressed. Speeds are super, desktop is fast, software they offer is really sweet. I really like kde desktop. I just keep xp for my major games. Right now really into assassins creed. The free ones they offer for ubuntu seem ok. Have yet to try them so the jury is still out. Just hope Nortons Ghost 14 backs it up ok. Did the last verson of ubuntu.

Got a link for more info??  I just installed the latest greatest kubuntu, Im running 2 gig of ram under a dual core atholon 4200. Up to this point super impressed. Speeds are super, desktop is fast, software they offer is really sweet. I really like kde desktop. I just keep xp for my major games. Right now really into assassins creed. The free ones they offer for ubuntu seem ok. Have yet to try them so the jury is still out. Just hope Nortons Ghost 14 backs it up ok. Did the last verson of ubuntu.

What do you mean more info!? The internet is the information highway!