Linux Server Optimization?

FiberOptic

Heya Guys and Girls. Just a quick question for all you linux experts :)

Recently, (Actually, Just a couple of days ago), I got a couple of dedi-servers from OVH (http://www.ovh.co.uk/products/mgplus.xml) all is fine. Super-Duper responces etc. However, my main uses were/was going to be a seedbox (where I can seed/leech my torrents from) and then sell a few slots off (use up some of the pipe).

Both servers claim to be on 1Gbps pipes, yet, I am unable to transfer files at anywhere near those speeds.

-bash-3.1# wget ftp://dl.xs4all.nl/pub/test/100mb.bin

--12:52:48--  ftp://dl.xs4all.nl/pub/test/100mb.bin

=> `100mb.bin.1'

Resolving dl.xs4all.nl... 194.109.21.66

Connecting to dl.xs4all.nl|194.109.21.66|:21... connected.

Logging in as anonymous ... Logged in!

==> SYST ... done.    ==> PWD ... done.

==> TYPE I ... done.  ==> CWD /pub/test ... done.

==> SIZE 100mb.bin ... 104857600

==> PASV ... done.    ==> RETR 100mb.bin ... done.

Length: 104857600 (100M)

80% [==============================================================================================>                      ] 84,910,888  36.7M/s  eta 0s

^^I am certain that host server (for the files) is able to max out way more then that. So I was wondering are there any tweaks (or general optimizations) I can apply etc? (I am starting to know a fair bit of Linux and dandy with the commands etc).

Don't ever count on getting anywhere near 1gbps. because of many reason, mainly the hard drive can't transfer at that speed ever. and second the network will never let you download, or upload anything that fast. When you get a "true" 1gbps connection on a server your not getting it to be able to push information that fast, (because the hard drive just physically can't do it) you are doing it for bursting.

Also you have to factor in the number of people downloading from the server you are trying too. And how much capacity is actually being used within the data centers network, as they don't have too much capacity for there data centers and the number of servers they claim to have.

And make sure its not a shared 1gbps connection.

Hi D :)

Thanks for your comments. They have reassured me it is not a shared pipe. I just got thinking about the HDD Read/Write speeds limiting, which you have reaffirmed  :buck2:

Just installed some apps through wine and running some synchronous downloads and uploads, and I am more closer to the figure (well, closer then before, but then baring in mind the HDD limitations).

That said, although its not that high, its uber-cool seeing a 5gb movie download in a few minutes  :2funny: now just getting it onto my pc is going to be the hard bit  :uglystupid2:

-K

One other reason could also be just a low amount of available bandwidth at the provider side. I noticed on there there site that there data centers are rather small and could only be connected on 2 10gbps connections, that is a rather low amount for there number of servers. They could be pushing a high usage on there pipes which would really slow you down.

Also for those prices, they probably don't have the greatest bandwidth providers, I know they do BGP which is real low grade bandwidth, which can/will slow down the results.

Oh.. their France Datacenter. Yeah, that looked pretty sh*te to me too.. but they gave me the option to move into one of the ones in Netherlands (mainly for the fact of the torrent business).

I think its Netrouting or Graffix or something (or it peers through them to the uk).. Not too sure though. But for the price even with the specs at the moment, it doesnt hardly break the bank and imo, seems like an awsome deal! :D (I can watch my ratio fly high  :haha:)