Im just not "getting" how to install programs with lynix.........

ninjageek

For whatever reason installing programs with kde has me baffled. I have asked, googled, cried, Tired to pay the 13 year old kid to show me, im getting no place. God bless the lynux users, they are just not able to beat it into my head. Lynux users can be wayyyyyyyyyy to geeked out. Pretend I can barley find the computer on switch, and I am you 90 year old grandmother. I just laugh at myself. I am just not getting it.

I have taken great strides, learned tons, will learn more. Im just to obsessed with trying to figure out how to do a simple line command install to move on and figure out the next thing I wanna figure out. "how to get a "my computer" type icon like xp. I will figure it out, But not til I get this line command install done.

I download the program and save it to my desktop. Then im clueless. God I am gonna feel silly when I do figure this out. I am probably making it harder than it is. 

Its just a silly 'theme". Its in a "tar" file. I know the adept manager. Got that figured out and how to utilize it. The thing is I really wanna figure out how to do the command line install. I one of the last "hurdles" I need to become lots more comfortable using lynux on a full time basis. Been working on this hurdle for 2 or  days.

I THINK, there I go again, working without the right tools, anyway. I THINK I am somehow screwing up the path part of it. You know right click, properties, that should be the path I need. Its on my desktop, so the path would be  "/home/tim/desktop

im having this same problem. ive been searching online to figure out how to do this and most of them say to use the "wine emulator." this is sopposed to be able to install your windows program on linux. i have not figured out how to use it because the verson that people use online is different than the one i have. You can find this program using the "add/remove program." If you can figure out how to use this let me know.

im having this same problem. ive been searching online to figure out how to do this and most of them say to use the "wine emulator." this is sopposed to be able to install your windows program on linux. i have not figured out how to use it because the verson that people use online is different than the one i have. You can find this program using the "add/remove program." If you can figure out how to use this let me know.

I feel for ya. They are just too geeky. They just won't make it simple. Just tell me what to open, what to type. Frustrates me.

Well, I gave up on ubuntu. It crashed on me for the last time. The hardy verson was just so misbehaved on my computer.  I gave opensuse a shot. Umm.........That was just flipping horrid. I tried to put it on my slave drive and for whatever reason it just so messed up my computer BADDDD!!!!!!

I put it on my slave drive, let it have the entire drive, formated, and opensuse said unable to install because windows had it taged as ntfs. WTF?? I just had ubuntu on  it nothing else. Hope the new version comming is better.

A BIG thank you to the poster that told me about mandrvia 2008. Insalled and all I can say is WOW!! Its so looks like windows. While I have just started with it, lots to learn, It just SMOKES. Puts in compiz and heck even enables the cube by default. I will forsure be recomending this one to others.

http://cutlersoftware.com/ubuntuinstall/

Really gave me a heads up on how to work with programs inside ubuntu.