Hi, I'm new here, just moved...

boats

I'm a newby to this forum. For the past 6 month I've been living in a guesthouse apartment in small village on the lovely Mosel river, Germany. There I had the availability of a shared wireless FON_AP connected to ADSL, from the building next door, with good performance. Yesterday I moved to a new apartment about 3Km's down the road in an even smaller village. The apartment has a DSL connection but now I have performance problems.  I connected a FON la Fonera WiFi box and have excellent connection with my laptop.

When I tested with the TESTMY.NET I got the following sad result :?

Your connection is: 205 Kbps or 0.2 Mbps

You downloaded at: 25 kB/s

You are running: 4 times faster than 56K and can download 1 megabyte in 40.96 second(s)

Member Ident:Username:boats CompID:19920472949000

Test Time:: 2008/05/01 - 6:33am

Test Browser and OS info: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; RV:1.8.1.13) Gecko/20080313 SeaMonkey/1.1.9

Test ID: LFTRICD1G (if this is a screenshot go to testmy.net to see if this is fake)

Diagnosis ^info^: May need help : running at only 8.82 % of your hosts average (t-dialin.net)

This was tested from a 507 kB file and took 20.22 seconds to complete

The landlord kindly had the DSL extended to my apartment. Before I bother him with this performance problem, I'd like to see if this a common problem with this provider (T-DAILIN.DE), the network, the distance of this small town from an exchange or other problem I had not thought of.

Anyone have any ideas :idea:? Thanks in advance :smile2: Boats

Thank you Mudmanc4 for welcoming me to this site :smile2:

I'll follow your advice and also look around this Forum site. I do have connection, albeit soo slooow. I'm working on temporary assignment here with the understanding that I can work from home, otherwise it's a 140KM commute to the office :roll: Hope it will not come to that

What are your advertised speeds first. Second in Germany you could expect to see some slowdown just from the distance across the pond. So did you see the Mirror's that might be close to you? Its been so long I can not remember how to get to those.  :icon_scratch:

Also check this section if you would.

http://www.testmy.net/t-4257

Dlewis is pretty good at DSL.

Again welcome aboard.  :angel:

Thanks Tommie Gorman,

As I don't own the DSL myself, and my landlord is away, I don't have the details of the account and the advertised speeds promised. All I know is that I'm connected via t-dialin.net from the test I did via the testmy.net application. I tested via Dusseldorf, the closest one listed where I got these :sad: results.

I am a FON member and installed a new La Fonera wireless device on the DSL. I'm not sure if you are familiar with the Fon (ap) community at www.fon.com (

@Tommy Gorman. By the way, I did as you suggested and followed the link. Great topic but I run a fairly 'clean machine', don't really think that should be the problem, but I'll keep an eye on this..

Boats

Thanks everyone, .... but ... the mystery is solved.

I now know what the problem is  :oops: , there simply is no more than 385 kB. broadband available in this village according to T-online! While, in the village where I moved from (only 3 Km.) away, there was 3000 kB. available. I am a little :tickedoff:. and somewhat disappointed, but [se-l

As far a VoIP goes, you really won't get much quality out of a limited bandwidth scenario.  About the best you can  do is when you are using your phone, if you have a software firewall installed on your PC, set it to stop all internet traffic.

You can also , if you are using a VoIP router, adjust settings to use the most , or highest bandwidth. Depending on your network setup, it may be possible to setup QOS on the router.

Post your network layout , and devices in the  <a href=http://www.testmy.net/t-6902.>VoIP</a> thread, and we'll take it from there.

As far a VoIP goes, you really won't get much quality out of a limited bandwidth scenario.  About the best you can  do is when you are using your phone, if you have a software firewall installed on your PC, set it to stop all internet traffic.

You can also , if you are using a VoIP router, adjust settings to use the most , or highest bandwidth. Depending on your network setup, it may be possible to setup QOS on the router.

Post your network layout , and devices in the  <a href=http://www.testmy.net/t-6902.>VoIP</a> thread, and we'll take it from there.

Thanks, I will (later), night now (time difference?)