Full speed directly connect, slow through router now (wasn't before)

Hey guys:

Beflore the flood of "check the router" replies *grin*, I have been living very happily at 10 Mbps downstream with my setup.  No problem at all, until this week.  Has TimeWanker enforced some type of limitation of routers or something?

Quickly, my setup is:

• Laptop -> direct connect via 100mbps cable -> WRT54G running DD-WRT -> Cable Modem

• Being raped for TimeWanker's 10 Mbps/1 Mbps service

Until this week, I've tested my speeds through testmy.net for months at near full 10/1 speeds.  Been very happy.  But as noted, this week things have slowed to 1 to 2 Mbps down, with full 1 Mbps up.

Today I bypassed the wrt54g router and went directly to the cable modem from my laptop.  I get the full 10 / 1 speeds.  Ok, went back to my setup above and am only getting 1 to 2 Mbps speeds.  I've reset everything...

I've reset the router to factory defaults with Linksys firmware.  I've reflashed it with the latest alpha of DD-WRT, and went back to the last stable of DD-WRT.  Nada.  I always get 1 to 2 Mbps downstream connected via cable to the router, to the cable modem.

May be a router problem (dear God no!  I love this little thing!), but I wanted to check with you guys in case TimeWanker has implemented some type of restriction or something.

Ps, nothing special but in addition - I do not use the wifi radio on the wrt54g due to too much interference on the 802.11g band.  Instead, that's why I have my nice shiny wrt600n dual radio, running only at 5.8Ghz (2.4Ghz radio disabled), and the wrt600n is directly connected to the wrt54g's network.  yes, basically using the expensive wrt600n as a pure 5.8Ghz n/a radio - that's it until dd-wrt gets a stable version for it.

It's almost like what I experienced before with the old 802.11b router.  It had only a 10 Mbps Internet port, therefore I only saw max speeds of 2 or 3 Mbps.  It wasn't until I upgraded routers (the wrt54g as mentioned above) may years ago that the 100 Mbps Internet-facing port allowed me to get full speed.

Long story short, here's the old blog post about it: [snip] Sorry , had to get rid of the blog link

It's like my router is connected only at 10 Mbps instead of 100 Mbps to the cable modem...  But, I don't see a way to verify that.  It used to be that if you were connected via 10 Mbps, the status LED would turn orange, instead of green.  But, it's all green from what I can see.

Thanks guys for the replies.

Yeah, it just "started" working fast.  Brain fart on a router... that's a new one.  :)

Thing is, it's been doing this for a while now.

Time for new firmware or perhaps a new router? Is it old?

Yeah, it's a bit old.  But that's the beauty of age - ddwrt fully supports it.  :)

Actually, I flashed it with multiple firmwares (stated above in original post).  Maybe it is getting too hot.

Time for new firmware or perhaps a new router? Is it old?