Love him or hate him......

mudmanc4

Love him or hate him, he sure hits the nail on the head with this! Bill Gates recently gave a speech at a High School about 11 things they did not and will not learn in school. He talks about how feel-good,politically correct teachings created a generation of kids with no concept of reality and how this concept set them up for failure in the real world.

Rule 1

: Life is not fair - get used to it!

Rule 2: The world won't care about your self-esteem. The world will expect you to accomplish something BEFORE you feel good about yourself.

Rule 3: You will NOT make $60,000 a year right out of high school. You won't be a vice-president with a car phone until you earn both.

Rule 4: If you think your teacher is tough, wait till you get a boss.

Rule 5: Flipping burgers is not beneath your dignity. Your Grandparents had a different word for burger flipping: they called it opportunity.

Rule 6: If you mess up, it's not your parents' fault, so don't whine about your mistakes, learn from them.

Rule 7: Before you were born, your parents weren't as boring as they are now. They got that way from paying your bills, cleaning your clothes and listening to you talk about how cool you thought you were. So before you save the rain forest from the parasites of your parent's generation, try delousing the closet in your own room.

Rule 8: Your school may have done away with winners and losers, but life HAS NOT. In some schools, they have abolished failing grades and they'll give you as MANY TIMES as you want to get the right answer. This doesn't bear the slightest resemblance to ANYTHING in real life.

Rule 9: Life is not divided into semesters. You don't get summers off and very few employers are interested in helpin g you FIND YOURSELF. Do that on your own time.

Rule 10: Television is NOT real life. In real life people actually have to leave the coffee shop and go to jobs.

Rule 11: Be nice to nerds. Chances are you'll end up working for one.

He couldn't of said it any better than that! :cool:

I agree.  There has to be something we can do , as subtle as it may be, that tells these younger people that life is real, I feel many of them don't see that. And I can't imagine who would want to sway them to believe otherwise.

One thing I made my kids do is get a part time job at my friends Italian Restaurant around the corner from where we lived in Salt Lake City. They bought their own cloths and small stuff and I bought the big ticket items. I was making good money (38,000) in 1979 as a Mill-Wright so money wasn't a issue. They are all hard workers and know what a buck is and how to save it. I think that kind of up bringing is lost to day!

Sure it's lost. Look, I've always tried to teach my youngest to not allow those commercials that are " tricking you " into taking your money for something you don't really want, by pulling it from your bank account, and putting it in there's. Then you may have something that you really didn't want or need. Well, It's kinda been backfiring on me as of late.

He had some of these earth magnets , there really strong, I mean real strong. He asked if I wanted to buy them from him, ok, I'll give you $1.00 for each. He says ok and sells them to me. I told him I was going to sell them on Ebay for about twenty bucks a piece, I got the noooo   dad, I want them. I said ok, I'll sell them to you for $50.00, then it's a quicker return for me.  So he gives me the 50.   A couple minutes later he says dad, you gonna give me my money back?  NO, I'm not, but I'll buy the magnets back.......ok, he said, then how much will you gimmie for them, I said about five bucks.   This is where things got hairy for him  :haha: , it was his money as far as he was concerned , and I was stealing from him, :tickedoff:  I had to wait until he was calm to talk to him about making $$$$ and how it works.  Not sure how thats gonna turn out later  :haha:

This weekend he was at his grand parents playing the game of life, or monopoly or something, I don't know, but what I got was he was all fired up about having to give up the play dollars, not fair, dad says I have to keep my money , and not let anyone schnooker me out of it  :haha: :haha: :haha: Could you see the look s on my wifes parents faces ?   :haha:  Wish I could have been there for that one .,. Ah hell, he's a work in progress.

Point here is teaching them just enough to allow them to make mistakes on there own, and learn from them instead of regulating them into thinking life will wait on them.

There we go. Forgot how to quote.SORRYYYYY :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin:

Thats ok, we'll forgive , you are the pepsiguy. :laugh:

To quote , you can either hit the "quote button "on top of that post and edit out what you want, of if you want to just highlight what you have typed then hit the quote icon in the bottom right hand corner of the icon list  (second from left ).

Just play w/ it, and hit the preview button to get used to it .

well done Bill , and good find Mudmanc, I kinda always admired Mr.Gates  :oops:

or anyone who does it the hard way ,

Rule 6: If you mess up, it's not your parents' fault, so don't whine about your mistakes, learn from them, LOL I must be eligble for the mess up olympic team , but IMHO you cant beat learning at the school of hard Knocks ,

lol or end up being one ,  :lol:

All so true. Anyway that hates on Bill Gates I think is just jealous! I mean come on this guy has given more to charity then most of us will make in a lifetime!

I think everyone will commend Bill on his Charity work. Its the half ass OS's M$ puts out. Why should people put out good money to be Beta Testers? Or maybe Bill gives back because of a guilty conscious! :wink:

One thing I made my kids do is get a part time job at my friends Italian Restaurant around the corner from where we lived in Salt Lake City. They bought their own cloths and small stuff and I bought the big ticket items. I was making good money (38,000) in 1979 as a Mill-Wright so money wasn't a issue. They are all hard workers and know what a buck is and how to save it. I think that kind of up bringing is lost to day!

Not to sound stupid, but whats a mill wright

Not to sound stupid, but whats a mill wright

The trade of Millwright is concerned with the construction and maintenance of machinery.

Derived from the trade of carpentry, a millwright originally was a specialized carpenter who was trained as a carpenter and as well had working knowledge of gear ratios, driveshaft speeds, and other equations. The "mill" in millwright refers to the genesis of the trade in building flour mills and other watermills and windmills. Biographies of some millwrights who were located in Norwich, England can be found here. Several important early civil engineers were originally trained as millwrights

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Millwright

Edit: A Master of all Trades

Love him or hate him, he sure hits the nail on the head with this! Bill Gates recently gave a speech at a High School about 11 things they did not and will not learn in school. He talks about how feel-good,politically correct teachings created a generation of kids with no concept of reality and how this concept set them up for failure in the real world.

Rule 1

: Life is not fair - get used to it!

Rule 2: The world won't care about your self-esteem. The world will expect you to accomplish something BEFORE you feel good about yourself.

Rule 3: You will NOT make $60,000 a year right out of high school. You won't be a vice-president with a car phone until you earn both.

Rule 4: If you think your teacher is tough, wait till you get a boss.

Rule 5: Flipping burgers is not beneath your dignity. Your Grandparents had a different word for burger flipping: they called it opportunity.

Rule 6: If you mess up, it's not your parents' fault, so don't whine about your mistakes, learn from them.

Rule 7: Before you were born, your parents weren't as boring as they are now. They got that way from paying your bills, cleaning your clothes and listening to you talk about how cool you thought you were. So before you save the rain forest from the parasites of your parent's generation, try delousing the closet in your own room.

Rule 8: Your school may have done away with winners and losers, but life HAS NOT. In some schools, they have abolished failing grades and they'll give you as MANY TIMES as you want to get the right answer. This doesn't bear the slightest resemblance to ANYTHING in real life.

Rule 9: Life is not divided into semesters. You don't get summers off and very few employers are interested in helpin g you FIND YOURSELF. Do that on your own time.

Rule 10: Television is NOT real life. In real life people actually have to leave the coffee shop and go to jobs.

Most of these my parents taught me already, 1, 3, 6, 10 and 11...I should pay more attention...lol

I agrre on all of them except the 60k one

if your smart u can do it

im only in my first year in college and by the end of this year i will probably make 40-50k on my own buiisness

and thats cause i only started

Next year i will make double that