Dual broadband connection - one works, other doesn't!?

FRALALA

OK, i haven't got a clue about anything so i'm asking you for help!

Me and my sister have dual brodband connection (if that's what is called - we both use same connection). When i had my old PC and Windows XP everything was woking fine but now that i have bought new PC and have Vista nothing is working!

If my sister has a connection i cannot connect; when i unplug her cable my connection starts to work perfectly! When i turn on the cable back my connection starts to decrease until it comes to zero (cannot open any webpage, cannot download anything). Why isn't my connection working and my sisters is all the time. What seems to be a problem and how to solve it?

Lidija

OK, i haven't got a clue about anything so i'm asking you for help!

Me and my sister have dual brodband connection (if that's what is called - we both use same connection). When i had my old PC and Windows XP everything was woking fine but now that i have bought new PC and have Vista nothing is working!

If my sister has a connection i cannot connect; when i unplug her cable my connection starts to work perfectly! When i turn on the cable back my connection starts to decrease until it comes to zero (cannot open any webpage, cannot download anything). Why isn't my connection working and my sisters is all the time. What seems to be a problem and how to solve it?

Lidija

Sounds like a IP conflict .  Make sure the DHCP server is on in the router.

PLease tell us your ISP, and the package you have, as well as the layout of your network devices.

BTW, welcome to testmy.net  :smiley:

I take it you have a modem, then a router, two computers  are hooked to it.

What type of router is it? Do you have DSL, or Cable? Important before going to the next step.

Please post them. First.If you have Cable , goto the next step. If not, don't

Click <a href=http://192.168.1.1>This</a> it should take you to your routers interface, don't change anything that you are not familiar w/. Look around until you see the DHCP setting, make sure it is set to  ON.

I did some searching with help, something got resolved (something to do with TCP or similar) and my connection is working ... still not as fast as my sister's tough!

Did you change any settings, and if you did, what were they ?

Example: i usually disconnect her cable when she's working (naughty mr) so i can get the highest internet speed ... when i plug the cable back in my connection works for some time (an hour, maximun 2), then it goes down to zero ... after that unable to access internet unless if i unplug my sister's cable ... i never had this problem with my old PC (i was using XP then ... does it matter ... i guess not cause my sister also has Vista on her computer)

Example: i usually disconnect her cable when she's working (naughty mr) so i can get the highest internet speed ... when i plug the cable back in my connection works for some time (an hour, maximun 2), then it goes down to zero ... after that unable to access internet unless if i unplug my sister's cable ... i never had this problem with my old PC (i was using XP then ... does it matter ... i guess not cause my sister also has Vista on her computer)

I'm wondering if your sister has something slurping up the bandwidth that she isn't aware of. Maybe ask her if you could  clean her computer up for her w/ a good spyware , antivirus, and then install a good firewall as well.

I don't think so my sister is a problem (wouldn't she be having the same problem then) ... she has everything on as she had when i had my old PC

When i press 'diagnostic' (when we are both connected) i get the message:

Your modem or router is not available

A problem with your network router and broadband modem might be preventing an Internet connection

Automatically get new IP settings for the network adapter Local Area Connection

Reset the network adapter Local Area Connection

Whn i press 'diagnostic' (when i'm only one connected) i only get:

A problem with your network router and broadband modem might be preventing an Internet connection