WISP upload speed incorrect - download OK

Jeffery_H

I have read several topics on this site about some users having trouble with valid tests showing correct results for their upload speeds. Most are not on a WISP but rather cable modem or DSL, so I need some feedback as to a possible cause. Here are the details.

I have WISP because I'm in a very small rural area. We are VERY fortunate because it's the ONLY broadband available and took us nearly 8+ years to even get this service. My package with them is for 1.5Mbps but that's both download and upload. On my test results here, I am getting an accurate reading for the download, but the upload is WAY off showing only 1/3 approximate speed with an average of 500Kbps when it should show 1.5 or close there to. I have been talking with them and trying to figure out what's going on. They have 2 providers which they get their main backbone at their central office from and so far it seems like, according to their support, everything is working fine with no issues. However, they checked into it for me and it's not just myself or their transmitter in my home town as others are getting the same results as well regarding accurate download speed rating and 1/3 or less being reported on the upload. So, they checked on their end to see what they would get bypassing any WISP and just using their backbone at the HQ there. They were even worse percentage wise as they got 7.5Mbps (which is correct as that is the full bandwidth coming in direct before being distributed and sent out) but only 1.5Mbps upload. From what they see there, everything looks OK and the speed seems correct for the upload despite the numbers being so low. They have calls into the 2 providers they get their service from but said they should know if something was wrong or out since it's being monitored. They also took it one step further and contacted a person they knew with a fast connection that was not even a part of their WISP nor are they using their service or service providers and they too had slower upload results with accurate download.

The trace route looks fine also with no obvious issues, time outs, etc. between here and testmy.net. So, I'm wondering what else it could be since we have exhausted pretty much everything in trying to find an answer as to the upload speed issue. Again, on the surface the WISP appears OK, no reports of trouble on the backbone from their providers (but they are double checking), all their WISP customers get the same results, at least one person not even on their service is getting the same thing. At first I thought it may have something to do with the fact it's a WISP service and something is just goofy in terms of accurate results, some sort of incompatibility, etc. but as you can see that doesn't seem to be the case at all. So, I'm throwing it out there to see if maybe someone has any thoughts on this.

Thanks for any feedback.

Sure sounds like a classic QOS settings in the core routers.

Can you elaborate in more detail on that statement so I can pass it along to my WISP? Why would QOS affect it that way? Is it truly limiting the speed of uploads or just appears so when doing speed tests? Why would another person NOT using any of their service be getting the same results on their end too? Since they seemed to not know about this setting or checking it, I assume it would be their service providers main pipe coming in to the WISP,

Since they bypassed the transmitters and tested direct from their main office, would that mean it would be the QOS setting on their end, their service providers end or the customers end? Since you said "core routers" I would think their end or their providers since it appears all their customers are effected including themselves.

Thanks for the reply and help, I am going to give this to my WISP to investigate once I get your reply to find out if it may be the cause.

I couldn't possibly be certain considering that I know nothing of there network, but if all the access points going through that server, are restricted, there are limit setting " somewhere " that are causing this.  Most likely in whatever server or router that connects the wireless to the pipe.

I couldn't possibly be certain considering that I know nothing of there network, but if all the access points going through that server, are restricted, there are limit setting " somewhere " that are causing this.  Most likely in whatever server or router that connects the wireless to the pipe.

I spoke with the WISP and they are not limiting or prioritizing their download VS upload packets, at least they are aware of. Also, they said they were finding it difficult to believe it may be somewhere else because they spoke with someone that is not on their service at all and found the same discrepancy for download VS upload. However, as I pointed out, that would not rule out the possibility that at some point in the link for providers they aren't running into the same one, for example, if AT&T was the local WISP provider's main pipe and the person they spoke with OUTSIDE their service that's not in their chain but runs into AT&T at some point in their service is getting the same results like them because AT&T is in the link somewhere. Would that make sense or be possible?

So, I asked them to provide the name of the companies, city and state of their providers but the person I spoke with for some odd reason didn't want to give it out. They did say they would talk with whomever I am working with to try to look into this more. I don't know if you, or one of the site owners would be willing to discuss the general theory of the QOS issue you bring up with them, but if so, please send me your email or contact info so I can have the local WISP speak with you.

Like I said earlier, they are a very small provider so please if you reply explain in detail your thoughts and technical statements. I'm sure they would appreciate it.

Thanks for the help.

I would not be the person to handle this situation, the company that installed the system, and the the admin of the network should know how to track down the issue.

There could however be another on this site that may be the right person.

Do you have any of the specifics, network layout. ISP ( you stated there were two) , router/switches/server  how many clients this system is serving, general info would be a great place to start.

Are you a client of there's are you an admin, what server privledges do you have if any.

I would not be the person to handle this situation, the company that installed the system, and the the admin of the network should know how to track down the issue.

There could however be another on this site that may be the right person.

Do you have any of the specifics, network layout. ISP ( you stated there were two) , router/switches/server  how many clients this system is serving, general info would be a great place to start.

Are you a client of there's are you an admin, what server privledges do you have if any.

I was away a bit, but wanted to get back with you on this. No, I am simply a user as I do not own or work for the WISP. They are a rural co-op that also does satellite ISP for those out of wireless service. There are reasons I can't dig into this myself, mainly because I am not paid to do so. Also, not to sound arrogant in any way, but it is a fact that I seem to know a LOT more about networking, computers and technical issues in general than anyone there does. Even their installers will admit that as they simply put in the equipment and left it up to me to configure all my routers, switches, etc. They commented they had never seen such an elaborate setup. :) My computer science background lets me work from home but I don't have the time, capacity or man power to run an ISP myself. So like I said, I am limited in service.

This is why I assumed they had some sort of service contract with whomever their 2 providers were and got technical help/support from them. When I told their tech guy at my WISP about it being a possible QOS core router issue he said "then what should my settings be then if they aren't correct?". I told him I had no way of knowing without seeing their equipment in person and would need to have specifics just as you mentioned in your post (providers names, type of lines coming in, brands and models of routers and servers, etc.) Frankly, I am uncertain as to their qualifications, level of education in the IT field, etc. Since I am not paid to work on it, nor is it my job or responsibility, I am forced to take whatever they decide to do to look into this. You would think that even from their standpoint they would want to know the QOS is balanced properly even for them to maximize efficiency of service. Bottom line is the answer I got was they would continue to look into it and I can only hope they know the right questions to ask when doing so, if they do.

I would pine for service from cable in a big city but I know people that have 3-5 Mbps and have a LOT of issues too so the grass is not always greener on the other side. Without the details as you say, this is the best I can do unless you can think of another issue that may be worth looking into.

Thanks for the info and replies.