Vista 64 or 32 and why or why not?

tommie gorman

Ok so got the new phenom 9600 quad core AMD and of course it came with the Windows Vista Home Premium 64 bit/32 bit with SP1

It gives the choice right off to go either way. And the 64 if I am not mistaken from reading here that it takes 64 to use the full 4 gigs of ram I have. And yet the 32 will readily recognize more programs. So any ideas on this one?

I am  not sure which way to go.  :undecided:

Or do I have some of this info wrong?  :whaa:

32bit will see and use 4gb of ram with no problem. I would stick with 32bit. Unless you are doing heavy video editing, or photoshop, and need more then 4GB of ram there is no use for 64bit.

32 bit doesn't have a problem running programs since 99% of programs today are 32bit.

I thought it was pretty good for the money. I was twisted between dual, triple, or quad core. Well I always have like AMD since I had my first. And well I'd say I am pretty well pleased for the next 2-4 years.  :azn:

Now to get it all set up so I can play with it.

GT5676

$749.99

Blako no, thats not really how it works anymore. Vista is totally different because it uses a linux/mac style of memory management. There is no 2GB for apps. and 2GB for the kernel thats a stupid way of doing things, Everything has access too the ram, and can use as much as it needs to or as little as it needs too. And with vista it will actually cache the entire OS in ram if you have enough, then when you launch an app. it will overwrite part of that cache. Thats why when you look at the task manager in vista after 10 minutes or so of being on there is only like 10mb of free ram.

I am no expert when it come to Vista ,so correct me if I am wrong. I am running Vista Ultimate 64-bit on my desktop. I have had no problem installing any software program that I wanted to use. The 32-bit programs go in to a separate program files folder called Program Files[x86]. As far I know Vista 64 runs them in 32-bit.

I am no expert when it come to Vista ,so correct me if I am wrong. I am running Vista Ultimate 64-bit on my desktop. I have had no problem installing any software program that I wanted to use. The 32-bit programs go in to a separate program files folder called Program Files[x86]. As far I know Vista 64 runs them in 32-bit.

yes vista 64bit runs them in 32bit mode. This works for most programs. Programers code the program to work in 64bit even tho its a 32bit program. 64bit tho still has a lot of problems with drives tho.

Thats the understanding that i have too

I have 64 bit capabilities but no vista 64 bit vista

if i had the choice i would put XP o it

screw vista

also u might look into linux 64 bit

they provide preatty good stuff

Wow dude you got a deal

im really surprise that these quad core comps are so cheap

i will be buying one soon

Well it appears to me to run in 32 bit for now. And I suppose after a reformat later I could retrieve the 64 bit later on maybe then. I think I will give gatew2ay a call first on the retrieval part for later. If I am right on that one, then might as well go for the 32 for now then. Thanks one and all. This has truly been interesting. I wonder what fun is in store in the next 2 or 3 years.

And your right Dark, not bad for the best  for now from AMD.

• 5 weeks later...

32bit will see and use 4gb of ram with no problem.

Well this is wrong, 32 bit cant use all 4 GB of RAM. Max you will ever get is 3.2GB. It can Identify 4 but wont use it all.

TG just go 64bit and play around with it, and get to use all 4GB+ of RAM you put in it.If anything you can just put 32 back on. Not like it takes vista long to reinstall anyways!

Well this is wrong, 32 bit cant use all 4 GB of RAM. Max you will ever get is 3.2GB. It can Identify 4 but wont use it all.

TG just go 64bit and play around with it, and get to use all 4GB+ of RAM you put in it.If anything you can just put 32 back on. Not like it takes vista long to reinstall anyways!

Ok your totally wrong again. Vista 32bit will see and use all 4GB of ram. Service pack 1 for vista even has a fix for this, so it will use all 4GB of ram.

32bit can even go upto 8GB of ram if you start using PAE.

The limit on some 32bit installs of vista is not because of vista it self, It is because of the chipset. They only work upto 3.12GB of ram. If you bought your system and it came with 32bit windows vista, 4GB of ram, and it is fairly modern, you can just about bet it has a chipset that will use all 4gb of ram in vista 32 bit.