video card for compaq SR2173WM

hollada

You will also want to check out the power supply in that computer. Nvidia has a min 12 volt rail requirement for their cards and a min total watt for the whole computer.

8800 GT- 400watt / 26A on the 12 volt rail

8800GTS [ G92 ] - 425 watt / 28A on the 12 volt rail

8800GTX - 450 watt / 30A on the 12 volt rail

I did buy a 500 watt power supply (Antec neo 500) and an Antec 900 case . I know there is room for bigger cards and other thing that would not fit in the stock case.

here is the spec. sheet for my computer.  http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/genericDocument?docname=c00838772&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&jumpid=reg_R1002_USEN

I also put in an X2 4200 CPU and 2 gigs of ram in it for now until the price for ram and the CPU comes down in my price rang. but the video card is my next purchase. I want the best bang for the buck and something to last a long time.

Are you going to be gaming on this computer? If you are what games do you like. The 8800GT is probably the best bang for the bucks right now. Nvidia and ATI should be coming out with new cards soon [ June or July I think ] . As for lasting a long time video cards get out dated real fast, they will work but you may have to turn down the eye candy to get the game to run right.

I play UT99 a lot and I have UT3 but I do not play it mush because I have  on board video and it is not as crisp as is should be so I do not play it much.

I do not spend much money on game because my computer does not have the best graphics so I do not play new(er)  games on it but I want to make it a good (not the best) gaming unit

Do what Coknuck said first to make sure you are running at 1440X900. If I were you I would go with a 8800GT. Newegg has them for under $200.00

EDit - In Vista  you right click the desktop / click on Personalize / click on Display Setting