Starband 484

dell

:::.. Download Stats ..:::

Connection is:: 1066 Kbps about 1.1 Mbps (tested with 1496 KB)

Download Speed is:: 130 KB/s

Tested From:: http://www.testmy.net/

Test Time:: Fri Feb 11 00:07:22 EST 2005

Bottom Line:: 19X faster than 56K 1MB download in 7.88 sec

Validation Link:: https://testmy.net/id-K51WT6CQS

:::.. Upload Stats ..:::

Connection is:: 199 Kbps about 0.2 Mbps (tested with 2992 KB)

Upload Speed is:: 24 KB/s

Tested From:: http://www.testmy.net/

Test Time:: Fri Feb 11 00:15:01 EST 2005

Bottom Line:: 4X faster than 56K 1MB upload in 42.67 sec

Validation Link:: https://testmy.net/id-KFLY7IR0T

Dell where did you find your info on the download and upload limits?

I,am a Starband installer it would be quicker to just read this http://www.dslreports.com/forum/remark,12588584~mode=flat everthing lance49726 says is true and even with the 360 you can still upload more than what he says if you keep the heavy downloading to off peak hours starband wont bother you.

Thanks Dell sounds just what i was loopking for.

The info on startband was very aprerciated.

How is there service been lately?

Speed?

I have the high end package 484 S.O. so the speeds dont affect me to much but there are others on he lower end bitching about speeds just like Direcway .

Since the T-7 failure the speeds have been up and down then Starband lost their lease on 1 transponder on GE-4 so that just leaves them with only 1 transponder on GE-4 which has more than half of their surscribers on.

But it is getting better every day as they are moving as a lot of people of GE-4 plus they will have a new sat up in april.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...

How much does Spacenet pay you dell?

Just curious.

BTW SB has been FAPing users since June.

Noone knows what the limits are but if you get FAPed; it lasts for 7 days.

My 481 system is basiclly worthless for anything other than large downloads and those have been capped at 500 Kbps for the past 7 months.

Big sites like Google and Yahoo take longer to load on the SB system than they do on my PeoplePC 26.4 connection.

Patiently waiting for WildBlue which not only can, but WILL provide the service they say they will when you sign on, and cheaper than SB or DW.

How much does Spacenet pay you dell?

Just curious.

BTW SB has been FAPing users since June.

Noone knows what the limits are but if you get FAPed; it lasts for 7 days.

My 481 system is basiclly worthless for anything other than large downloads and those have been capped at 500 Kbps for the past 7 months.

Big sites like Google and Yahoo take longer to load on the SB system than they do on my PeoplePC 26.4 connection.

Patiently waiting for WildBlue which not only can, but WILL provide the service they say they will when you sign on, and cheaper than SB or DW.

Yeah But The Hav A Fap

As far as I'm concerned you can have all the bandwidth on SB once i get WB installed and running.

Enjoy it while you can cause i see another chapter 11 coming soon for starband and I highly doubt they will survive this time.

WildBlue will eventually degrade but I figure it will take about 2 to 3 years for that to happen and in the meantime maybe i will be able to get real broadband like wireless or maybe even hit the big lottery and get my own personal DS3 line.

Let's see here.

SB - 484 system - up front costs - what? around 1,000 doallrs? Plus installation costs.

Monthly fee? close to 150 dollars per month?

speed? 1 meg down and about 200 up?

WB - Pro account - up front costs - 300 dollars plus 179 for installation

monthly fee - 79 dollars per month.

speed - 1.5 megs down and about 240 k up.

monthly fap limit - 22 gigs.

Starband won't be overloaded for much longer but my guess is that when enough users jump ship to WB they will once again reduce the number of transponders they lease and the remaining users will be in the same sinking boat.

As far as I'm concerned you can have all the bandwidth on SB once i get WB installed and running.

Enjoy it while you can cause i see another chapter 11 coming soon for starband and I highly doubt they will survive this time.

WildBlue will eventually degrade but I figure it will take about 2 to 3 years for that to happen and in the meantime maybe i will be able to get real broadband like wireless or maybe even hit the big lottery and get my own personal DS3 line.

Let's see here.

SB - 484 system - up front costs - what? around 1,000 doallrs? Plus installation costs.

Monthly fee? close to 150 dollars per month?

speed? 1 meg down and about 200 up?

WB - Pro account - up front costs - 300 dollars plus 179 for installation

monthly fee - 79 dollars per month.

speed - 1.5 megs down and about 240 k up.

monthly fap limit - 22 gigs.

Starband won't be overloaded for much longer but my guess is that when enough users jump ship to WB they will once again reduce the number of transponders they lease and the remaining users will be in the same sinking boat.

22 gigs is alot but i would prolly go over that in about 2 days

The most I have done in one month with SB is a little over 15 gigs.

And that was back before the big T 7 failure and i was averaging 8 megs per minute on downloads.

In 15 months my average bandwidth usage is less than 10 gigs per month.

I ordered the wildblue pro pack yesterday.

I have to wait 2 to 6 weeks due to a combination of high demand and low supply of hardware right now.

Cost: With tax - $316.00

Installation is FREE.

I would not recommend SB to anyone for fear that if they took my advice; they could possibly, at a later time, find me and take revenge.