Computer Restarting

romara22

Hey,

First time here.  Hope I am posting in the right spot.

My computer has some kind of virus...this I am sure of.  Whenever I perform certain actions on my computer (ie. disk cleanup, copying certain files to external hard drives, etc) my computer goes black and restarts.  It says that there was a serious error that forced the computer to restart.  Again, I first noticed this when, at one point, I tried to go to Local Disk C: and do disk cleanup.

I was told by they Best Buy Geek Squad guy that I should perform a Last Known Good Configuration, I think.  He said I should set my computer back to when I know the problem didn't exist.

Any advice?  I'd appreciate it!  :smiley:

romara22

Well, I tried what Buntz mentioned, but I remember now that when I try to run Virus Scans (tried many of them), my computer shuts down, in the same fashion that it does when I do the other things I do.  My computer won't let me do these kinds of things.  Any other suggestions?  I am not sure what else I can tell about my computer, but if anybody needs to know anything about it, let me know.

As ghostmaster has said its probably a bad piece of hardware

Try stripping all the pieces out of the Mobo and rebuild it 1 piece at a time

just have 1 stick of mem, HD and Graphics card, then if you can do a scan

then try the other piece of Ram ( that is if you have 2 or more)

Also make sure that the HS and fan are clean of dust

Also try using a LIVE copy of a Lunix Prog

or UBCD  http://www.ubcd4win.com/  works great for diagnosing PC problems

• 2 months later...

I have seen a few cases ware if the screen goes black without saying any messages and reboots it was due to a faulty power supply not giving a steady voltage out. That would be my guess. In my experience when the ram goes bad it will not boot up, and when the hard drive has a bas sector it will just freeze but stay on. Not saying that that is not the problem just stating what i have come across in fixing computers.